Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors Gone from Model X on Tesla Motors Page

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The mirrors are still there, I can see the shadows! I'm guessing they are just really well camouflaged for aesthetic reasons..... ;-)

:smile:Great job of camouflaging since the camera shows from the rear angle too

Model X camera.PNG

I remember when people were over thinking the pano roof on the S and saying how it would be too hot.

I think the side mirrors will do fine in bad conditions. Like previously mentioned, the back of the car gets the brunt of the debris while driving.

Cameras in conjunction with side mirrors have been around for some time, ask any RV owner. I've never seen one with only cameras though.

I'm not sure if you're just referring to RVs or vehicles in general, but I was in Hamburg yesterday and came across a VW XL1 in the wild. As you can see, it's definitely only using cameras in place of mirrors. However, as far as I know, there are no plans to bring the XL1 to the states (and perhaps the EU has looser restrictions on these types of things).

XL1_front.JPG
XL1_rear.JPG

I'm quite possibly misremembering, but did the web site ever show mirrors? I know the X was originally introduced without mirrors, but later prototypes did have mirrors. But when did they change the web site to add mirrors? Does anyone have a screen shot from before?

I'm quite possibly misremembering, but did the web site ever show mirrors? I know the X was originally introduced without mirrors, but later prototypes did have mirrors. But when did they change the web site to add mirrors? Does anyone have a screen shot from before?

I'm almost certain it did until this new change.

IIRC, mirrors weren't originally on the computer rendered images on the website, then they appeared on some, but not all of the shots, then they were gone again. But that last disappearance was months(?) ago.

I remember surfing the Model X page about a month ago and distinctly remembering it had side mirrors.

I don't think them changing all the pics to cameras is a glitch.

Yeah, I agree, they definitely added mirrors to the prototype at some point. I just don't remember the website ever reflecting that.

We placed our reservation about a month ago. We went over it with a fine toothed comb and it definitely had mirrors.
You can actually still see them if you click on the button to reserve a Model X.

As pointed out by Remnant on teslamotors.com's Model X thread, the pictures of the Model X on Tesla's Model X page no longer show mirrors. Neither do they show up on our personal Tesla page where it shows our Model X reservation - awesome! My guess is it may be a $ extra when configuring.

Model X | Tesla Motors

Hmm... any other subtle differences that might identify this as a newer version of the design, compared to previous sans-mirror images?

Just because I went to the trouble of asking, here's what I was told recently at two different Tesla stores:

store #1 in November, "Side view cameras will be on the Model X"
store #2 in January, "Side view cameras will NOT be on the Model X"

I hope we get them. My cars are so primitive, I want to take the biggest possible leap forward with this one! ML

I'm wondering why, if they are going to the replace mirrors with cameras, they are leaving them in the same place. That may be optimal for mirrors, but why so for cameras (which have different optics and fields of view). Sure, if they stick out, you get a couple of extra degrees of view into the rear behind the car, but with a decent rear view mirror and/or camera that doesn't seem much help.

I would have thought moving them forward would be better for blind spot detection. Also, coupled with front and rear cameras, that could generate a near 360 degree field of view for parking.

I'm wondering why, if they are going to the replace mirrors with cameras, they are leaving them in the same place. That may be optimal for mirrors, but why so for cameras (which have different optics and fields of view). Sure, if they stick out, you get a couple of extra degrees of view into the rear behind the car, but with a decent rear view mirror and/or camera that doesn't seem much help.

I would have thought moving them forward would be better for blind spot detection. Also, coupled with front and rear cameras, that could generate a near 360 degree field of view for parking.
The image captured by the camera needs to have the same perspective as the traditional mirror. If it doesn't, it will be confusing to the driver and inherently unsafe. Around-View cameras and Blind-Spot Monitoring systems can use cameras mounted in different locations because they are not directly replacing the function of the mirror.

The image captured by the camera needs to have the same perspective as the traditional mirror. If it doesn't, it will be confusing to the driver and inherently unsafe. Around-View cameras and Blind-Spot Monitoring systems can use cameras mounted in different locations because they are not directly replacing the function of the mirror.

Ok, but the perspective of mirrors varies dramatically depending on things like type of mirror, angle, tilt, how far forward the driver's seat is, etc. A camera is going to be different than a mirror (no matter where it is placed).

Last edited:
Well, advancing the design without knowing whether you have a mirror or camera is probably easiest if you remove the location variable and accept that they'll be in the same spot. That location also is natural for drivers when understanding the width of their car and is also where the car has typically already curved back in some - you wouldn't want to mount these where they stick out more and might get whacked off. And finally, like winglets on jets, they probably are actually beneficial in breaking up vortices coming off the intersection of the hood, windshield, and quarter panel (just guessing here).