Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors Gone from Model X on Tesla Motors Page

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An interesting additional detail: if you look at the interior pics in the MX page, you'll see that on both sides of the speedometer you can see rear view images. So yes, there are no side mirrors, and the side images will be displayed (at least in the current design) on both sides of the speedometer. I presume they will be overridden with other images when additional info is needed. But if this stays this way I will miss some of the dashboard functionality, in particular the secondary navigation view, which is used frequently enough that switching between side views and this view is probably nor practical. Maybe they will widen the dashboard screen to allow for the side mirrors AND the navigation view to be displayed at the same time?

Just noticed that myself. There's a lot of cars now coming out with lane departure warnings, blind spot warnings and the like so I guess mirrors are getting to be an outdated concept. Will be weird just looking at the speedo area though for all your mirror information.

Visually speaking, if they do, it will take some getting use to..

I'm used to it already ;)

And I have no use for the rear view mirror when backing up as the HD camera is superior (even when it is dirty and wet I can still see better). Granted the side view camera's will need extra tech to handle high speed travel.

An interesting additional detail: if you look at the interior pics in the MX page, you'll see that on both sides of the speedometer you can see rear view images. So yes, there are no side mirrors, and the side images will be displayed (at least in the current design) on both sides of the speedometer. I presume they will be overridden with other images when additional info is needed. But if this stays this way I will miss some of the dashboard functionality, in particular the secondary navigation view, which is used frequently enough that switching between side views and this view is probably nor practical. Maybe they will widen the dashboard screen to allow for the side mirrors AND the navigation view to be displayed at the same time?

I don't see how the images could be overridden with other images "when additional info is needed". If you're going to replace mirrors with camera's then those images need to be available at all times. How many times have you looked at one of the mirrors in a split second to make a critical driving decision? I think Tesla understands this and will find a creative way to do display this. And that doesn't mean it has to be on either side of the speedometer.

No doubt it gets dirty but I have always been able to see more. Specifically wide angles and movement as the mirror is subject to glare.

Because everywhere I go, I see things that remind me of this forum: my ride to work last week looked like
image.jpg

I should call the NHTSA to report my mirrors unsafe/not working (or wash the truck)