Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing CCS line [car imported from Japan to Malaysia]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
Sorry to bother you guys (and gals), but any of you has come across this?

I have a 05/2021 M3 LR from Japan, with Gen 4 ECU Charge port number P1537264-00-B, which I read in here should support CCS charging. Unfortunately, I tried using CCS 2 adapter and it failed. And when I check, the line "CCS suport:Enable/Not installed" is missing.

Has anyone encounter such issue?
Is this a regional update issue, missing hardware issue or outdated component issue?
More importantly, can this be fixed (ie retrofitment of ECU or domestic update)?

I thank you for your time.

Attachments

• IMG-20220809-WA0009(1).jpg
    IMG-20220809-WA0009(1).jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_20220813_140029.jpg
    IMG_20220813_140029.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 185
For sure the missing CCS support line in the Additional Vehicle Information section is worrisome. My understanding is that the Gen4 charge port ECU you have is the one that older Gen3 cars here in the US needs in order to be converted to support CCS charging, and the one that is in newer Gen4 cars which navtively support CCS. However, we here in the US use CCS1:

I'm not at all familiar with the signalling requirements between the two systems. I am pinging @FalconFour who may be able to explain why it is not working for you. He is the one who came up with the conversion for US Gen3 cars to use CCS.

Also, from what I can see in your photos, your car was made in China (if that has any relevance to the problem).

For sure the missing CCS support line in the Additional Vehicle Information section is worrisome. My understanding is that the Gen4 charge port ECU you have is the one that older Gen3 cars here in the US needs in order to be converted to support CCS charging, and the one that is in newer Gen4 cars which navtively support CCS. However, we here in the US use CCS1:

I'm not at all familiar with the signalling requirements between the two systems. I am pinging @FalconFour who may be able to explain why it is not working for you. He is the one who came up with the conversion for US Gen3 cars to use CCS.

Also, from what I can see in your photos, your car was made in China (if that has any relevance to the problem).
Thank you for your reply,

Yes, I read somewhere in this forum that cars to Korea and Japan are made in China (Shanghai Giga). And China plus Japan uses their own ports (GB/T and Chademo), so Im worried that they shipped those cars with missing hardware to support CCS charging.

But cars to Korea (still made in China) does not have that issue (ie they can support CCS). This leads me to think about region-lock (ie software locking the ability for CCS adapter support based upon the region the car was originally sold).

I have googled a bit, and found that in europe, apparently they use P1537264-20-B, which is also Gen 4 charge port ECU in the newer (2021+) models. I am wondering whether this may solve my problem, but the missing "CCS Adapter Support: Enabled /Not installed" worries that I may end up with a usable ECU that wont work with my M3.

Any opinions or ideas is highly appreciated. Thank you

As it says in your link, Japan is officially CHADEMO. I'm not sure that there would be ANY CCS stations there. It wouldn't surprise me if the firmware of a Japan car purposely didn't have CCS.
Oh, apologies. I should have added that I imported my M3 from Japan to Malaysia. Here, in Malaysia, the main EV connectors are Type 2 for AC and CCS2 for DC. There are some Chademo stations, but most new providers currently only sticking to CCS 2 connectors only for DC. Hence why I am trying to figure out whether I can activate or modify my M3 to use CCS.

Regarding your firmware opinion, that is one of my thoughts as well. But I was wondering whether anyway i can work around it.

There might be a gateway setting that can make it possible, but figuring out which one and then actually making the change is much easier said than done.

Might be worth opening up your charge port ECU and seeing if the CCS chips are actually there. Part number suggests it should be, but for all we know it's just mislabeled

Hi there my name is Kelvin from malaysia . I did some research on japan unit . Can i know where did you get your tpc to ccs2 adaptor? I heard from my dealer adaptor bought from Exotic mod (price not mistaken RM6-7k ) will only work after they make some adjustments. Have you read the description from Tesla US CCS1/CCS2 (400A) Also I have an adaptor with me which i haven't yet to try as still waiting for my japan unit to reach . If you interested pm me . Keen to understand more.

That line's "missing-ness" is definitely regional - I've heard that from other people in other regions as well. The presence/lack of "CCS adapter support" doesn't indicate anything by itself - it's just a visual change. The support/lack of support is still there based on the installed hardware.

If you have an -00-B ECU, that's the ECU for the North American charge port (as best as I understand). That means you have a port that looks like this, right?

1660925081021.png

That port definitely isn't going to serve you well for CCS2 by design. In North America & Korea, where these ports mostly roam (it seems), the CCS standard is Type 1 (CCS1), as so:

1660925188166.png

Note that CCS1/CCS2 isn't referring to versions, like it might imply at a glance. It's referring to regions. Everything in NA (where that charge port comes from) is CCS1; CCS2 is non-existent. Vice versa in Europe for example: CCS2 is everywhere, CCS1 is non-existent.

So there would be no need for interoperability between the two. Thus, when you have a car that's expecting CCS1, it expects things to behave a certain way. For CCS2, that seems to be that the Proximity signal is slightly different between the two. The adapter (from CCS2 to TPC) would need to properly adapt the signals.

To get much further in diagnosis, I'd ask that you read the alerts that pop up on the screen, note down/take a picture of every one you see, and post here. Tesla's diagnostic alerts are extremely useful for diagnosing CCS - unlike most cars that just silently fail or give useless messages, Tesla's messages are extremely detailed. You can get even more info by using Service Mode and reading the alerts there.

Hi everyone,
Sorry to bother you guys (and gals), but any of you has come across this?

I have a 05/2021 M3 LR from Japan, with Gen 4 ECU Charge port number P1537264-00-B, which I read in here should support CCS charging. Unfortunately, I tried using CCS 2 adapter and it failed. And when I check, the line "CCS suport:Enable/Not installed" is missing.

Has anyone encounter such issue?
Is this a regional update issue, missing hardware issue or outdated component issue?
More importantly, can this be fixed (ie retrofitment of ECU or domestic update)?

I thank you for your time.
Hello from Europe!

Note: All Tesla Super Chargers are equipped with CCS2 connections. In NA they all have TPC.

I have a US Tesla Model Y (2021). Recently I updated to the 00-B (NA-ECU). I currently have the "Plaid" version of the CCS2 to TPC adapter. And interestingly enough, it does NOT work at the 250kw Tesla SCs. It will only work at the rate of 150kw connections or less. I hear that the "Plaid" version (It literally says PLAID on the adapter) only works with the EU-ECU charge port adapter (20-B [Gen4]). We are working on testing that out currently.

I did try the EU-ECU (20-B) and that did not show the "CCS support: Enabled". It also came up with an error basically stating that the heater on the charge port would not work correctly, and it would not work on any charger whatsoever. Now ... we did not know at the time that it would only work in conjunction with the "Plaid" CCS2 adapter, and only at 250kw Tesla SCs (I do not have a 250kw Telsa SC near me).

Last note is that after an update and the (00-B) NA-ECU charge port was installed, the CCS Support: Enabled line was present.

Sorry, was away for the past week.
Thank you for all your replies.

Hi Kelvin, nice to get to know another fellow malaysian. I got it from a university friend of mine in Kiev, who bought it there and shipped to me. Regarding the mods that they were talking about, i think its changing the ECU for the charge port. So, if you have the Gen 4 ECU (part number P1537264-xx-x, picture in orginal post) for your Japan Unit, then welcome to my boat.

If you have the Gen 3 ECU for the charging port (Part number P1092755-98-B), then you need to swap the ECU before you can use the CCS2 adapter. I read there are 2 ways to do this:
1) you can either get a GEN 3 ECU part number P1092755-82-B and swap it - @wlee thread on it
or
2) You can get Gen 4 ECU part number P1537264-00-B plus a bundle of wire to get it working. @FalconFour thread on it

Regarding PM you, I dont mind at all if we are sharing private information like our contact numbers. But for the sake of community, if we have something technical, I think it is better to discuss in the open. It helps our community to grow, esp to New Zealanders who some also uses Japanese imports

@FalconFour, thanx for your input .
That line's "missing-ness" is definitely regional - I've heard that from other people in other regions as well. The presence/lack of "CCS adapter support" doesn't indicate anything by itself - it's just a visual change. The support/lack of support is still there based on the installed hardware.
I think and hope is visual change too. Because i downloaded the CIrcuit Diagram of my Model 3 version (early 2021, Shanghai Giga) off Tesla Service website Tesla Service from both Japan and North American site (the 2 pdfs below), and both have exactly the same diagram.

That means you have a port that looks like this, right?
Yes, I think it is safe to say up to 2022, all Tesla cars from Japan uses the Tesla Proprietary Charging (TPC) port as your picture. Hence why I thought most ECUs and mods to this M3 is closer to NA than Europe.
Regarding the CCS adapter, I am using TPC to CCS 2 adapter, as pictured here...
Screenshot 2022-08-24 at 1.36.41 AM.png

Thus, when you have a car that's expecting CCS1, it expects things to behave a certain way. For CCS2, that seems to be that the Proximity signal is slightly different between the two. The adapter (from CCS2 to TPC) would need to properly adapt the signals.
So, you are saying that possibly, that the P1537264-00-B ECU that I have should work for CCS1, but may not work for CCS2? It makes sense as the Tesla's in Europe with Gen 4 ECU are using P1537264-20-B ECUs.

However, @kaalrok stated above that despite using P1537264-00-B, after and update an a change of non-Plaid version of the CCS 2 combo, he managed to get his MY to work. Thanks for your input @kaalrok, i didnt know there were plaid and non-plaid version of the CCS2 adapter.

Therefore, I have list down the potential cause of my error (Missing CCS line and error in cahrging via CCS2), and will work on one by one

1) The CCS2 combo adapter is broken or wrong version (Plaid/non-plaid)
2) ECU P1537264-00-B can only charge CCS1. For CCS2, will need P1537264-00-B, and the CCS2 adapter
3) True Region lock, and not just a GUI bug - for which I dont have any idea on how to unlock the region to allow CCS2 charging

So, my step-step plan is
1) to get another CCS2 adapter and try again - maybe the non-plaid one will work
2) if #1 dont work, get P1537264-20-B ECU, swap it and try with both CCS2 adapter
if neither work.. i hope someone can give me some ideas

Of regarding service mode, unfortunately Malaysia is a non-core market. The nearest service center is in singapore, therefore i do not know how to get into service mode since the service center in a neighbouring country. I can use Tesla diagnostic Tool box, but at that price, I will keep this option lower down.

Ive ordered anothe CCS2 adapter. I will update all of you once i received and tested it.

Attachments

• tesla model 3 SOP 5 Japan.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 117
  • tesla model 3 SOP5 american.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 83
Hi folks

I am on the same boat as you, Japanese imported 2021 Tesla Model 3 to New Zealand where all majority of chargers are either Type 2 Mennekes (AC) or CCS2 (DC). I can confirm my charge port ECU is P1537264-00-B and I DO NOT have CCS Support line in Additional Information menu.

20220708_122917.jpg

But I am pretty happy with current state as I have a 32amp plug with a J1772 charger and I can use J1772 to TPC adapter for majority of my charging.

If I am out and about for type 2 (AC) charging I am waiting on Jowua with this: CCS2-AC to TPC Adapter

CCS2 charging I have same adapter as you and it is working great.

I also have a Tesla OEM Chademo to TPC adapter onboard so I can charge with Chademo (DC) if needed.