Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missing my ICE car. . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol, I've been racing motorcycles for the past decade at an expert level, probably why one-pedal driving is so boring. . .

Attachments

• RG__4805-Oct11-13 (2).jpg
    RG__4805-Oct11-13 (2).jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 75
Don’t know what others have said because I can’t be bothered to read all the posts with strong opinions.

A true car person will always appreciate any car and crave different aspects of every car.

I’m trying to switch my wife’s econobox gas car to a used leaf so that we are lowering our carbon use, meanwhile today I’m taking delivery of a car from 1972 that I will fix up with a stick shift. Obviously it won’t be a daily driver. So, “I’m doing my part” while maintaining a small part of history and driving pleasure. (And yes, my P3D is very pleasurable, but in a modern and differeway exciting different senses)

Believe it or not, I’m not missing my ICE cars. I do miss the sound, a little, but nothing compares to the acceleration in my 3P. I can live without the sound.

Shifting gears- I had a mid-70s Ferrari with manual transmission, and it was an absolutely amazing car. But, on a modern car, I don’t see the need for a manual transmission anymore. My 997 had the Porsche PDK transmission, and it was an amazing piece of technology. Yes, I could use the paddle shifters to shift the car myself, but the truth is, the Porsche computer was a hell of a lot smarter and more capable than I am. Invariably, whenever I shifted manually, I wasn’t as fast, or got as good fuel economy (not that it matters when driving a 997) as when I just let the PDK take over. For an older or vintage car, then without a doubt, I’d want a manual transmission. On a newer ICE car, give me the option of paddle shifters, but I’ll let the car shift itself.

I don’t have the time now to have more than 1 fun car. My 3P fills that need quite nicely, though it is a pretty big car. Hopefully in a few years, we will see some electric sports cars, or at least small 2+2 coupes that look sporty as well as perform that way.

Now this discussion is what a car site should be all about.
What a relief from the self righteous babble that usually occurs in some of these forums.
While I'm sure some of it is self righteous, I'm sure most people on here really do want to do the right thing by driving EV. Truth is we are screwed if we don't have some serious EV adoption soon. I think most people really do want to make a difference.

gotta jump in. My DD and preferred trip car is my MS 90D ( yes even a 90 ). there are plently of chargers now in the midatlantic that I can skip over one or even two easily and go anywhere ( that wasn't always the case) . I do have one other car, an inherited 89 honda civic DX ( 4 speed- 93 HP - woo!, 60 k miles). So I have my hi tech car and my NOTECH CAR. from a green stand point, driving an already built hyper efficient gas car ( 52 MPG) sort of makes them a wash from that stand point. it is just now is getting harder to get parts. The honda is fun, peppy, scratches the itch for shifting ( I wish I had the acura 5 speed dropped in) , and tinkering which I wouldn't dare do to my S. When the elements are bad I take the honda keeping my S even more prestine and shiny! ( yes I know it wont melt in the rain :) ) . the honda still comes in handy when I forgot to charge and had to go to work on time. I call it my "spare" car. it doesn't have air-conditioning, power steering or automatic windows so it sits a lot in the summer, the heater is nice!

Reactions: Mperezkr
Funny that a lot of people view the desire for a certain type of car as a "magnet" for sexual interest, and that only old people appreciate performance (or muscle) cars. I found that when I've owned "nicer" sports cars (Porsches, Corvettes, bmw's) women were less attracted than when I drove my truck. I don't really buy cars for anyone but me and my needs (yes, I'm selfish when I buy a non-utilitarian vehicle). I am in my early 50's (gasp), so I guess I can see younger people objecting to environmental waste, and not fully appreciating the visceral excitement of gears and noise and smell.
I thought I'd have it all with the 3P, and read numerous threads about never wanting to drive an ICE car again. That, plus wifey putting foot down and insisting I couldn't keep both, made me sell the Camaro to buy the 3. My instinct originally was to pay for solar first (did) pay off the Camaro (did), then buy an SR+ as my to/from car, and the Camaro was the weekend fun. I regret sticking to my plan, in hindsight it would have perfected my reality. I still play with the idea of trading someone with upgrade-itis for their SR+ and cash, and go V-8 hunting again, but the summer is the worst time to look for verts, and it would be hard to say goodbye to all that instant torque (but still. . . )
Should have gone for the performance, big difference...

I can't imagine wanting to buy a gas guzzler car in CA, paying extra taxes on it just because it's a gas guzzler, then spending all that money for fuel and still not being able to beat a M3P in a race... Just to slam gears and make noise and get left in the dust?

Last edited:
"Long tailpipe!!!" *drink*

Bad news, somebody has lied to you and it isn't who you think it is.

Your post is archetypal "self-righteous, misinformed, BS". "Some studies" = "[dated] nonsense spewed by hacks as part of a massive misinformation campaign", there's no real legitimate basis for this. Not even Prius' and their ilk are close to modern BEVs like the Model 3 (unless they happen to be a plug-in Prius that drives such short distances that it never uses its gasoline engine....and then why bother get a hybrid anyway, or you're in a tiny, typically low population, and quickly shrinking slice of the country that makes it kinda close).
I may not often agree but your right, but people always only measure exhaust output and compare it to coal power plants for generating electricity for cars. They forget that drilling, shipping, and refining oil also uses power from these coal plants, not to mention other aspects of ICE's (frequent oil changes etc).

My 997 had the Porsche PDK transmission, and it was an amazing piece of technology. Yes, I could use the paddle shifters to shift the car myself, but the truth is, the Porsche computer was a hell of a lot smarter and more capable than I am. Invariably, whenever I shifted manually, I wasn’t as fast, or got as good fuel economy (not that it matters when driving a 997) as when I just let the PDK take over. For an older or vintage car, then without a doubt, I’d want a manual transmission. On a newer ICE car, give me the option of paddle shifters, but I’ll let the car shift itself.

I don’t have the time now to have more than 1 fun car. My 3P fills that need quite nicely, though it is a pretty big car. Hopefully in a few years, we will see some electric sports cars, or at least small 2+2 coupes that look sporty as well as perform that way.

I recognize your name from Rennlist. I was over there too. Used to own a 997.2 Carrera S w/ PDK. I don't miss that car at all. Well, I do miss being able to drive it on mountain roads but that was like 1% of the time. The Porsche became a garage queen that was never driven because I either needed something quieter, more spacious or with more utility. The Tesla is so much better because I get to use more of it more of the time.

BTW, I regretted getting PDK. The first generation PDK in the 997.2 was nowhere near as good as the later models (991+) in terms of gear changes and refinement. If I had to do it over again I would have definitely gotten a stick in that car. I admit I still keep my eye on p-cars and I love the howl of the flat-6 getting wound out, but until I become independently wealthy, if I have to have money tied up in a car, it may as well be something I can get a lot of use out of.

Reactions: f308gt4
More than the engine noise, I just really miss shifting....but not enough to get rid of my P3D-

Ideally, I'd like to have a little fun toy car but it's just not practical nor would i use it enough to justify ownership

Suggest, if you miss the mechanicals, get a motorcycle. Performance envelope is higher (much) and it's a lot less expensive. Bikes are ALSO going electric so it's not a forever solution, but by then you'll be tired of the noise, the stench, etc.

For the record I have a few hundred thousand miles on motorcycles and 30 years on the racetrack. Between a car and a bike, especially on a racetrack there's no comparison. Hitting a brake mark, tipping into a decreasing radius corner to touch a knee then fold it up agains the bike with elbow and butt just off the pavement.... nothing like it.

Suggest, if you miss the mechanicals, get a motorcycle. Performance envelope is higher (much) and it's a lot less expensive. Bikes are ALSO going electric so it's not a forever solution, but by then you'll be tired of the noise, the stench, etc.

For the record I have a few hundred thousand miles on motorcycles and 30 years on the racetrack. Between a car and a bike, especially on a racetrack there's no comparison. Hitting a brake mark, tipping into a decreasing radius corner to touch a knee then fold it up agains the bike with elbow and butt just off the pavement.... nothing like it.
I had a bike and got rid of it when I realized that making a mistake on a bike is a lot more costly than making the same mistake in a car.

I had a bike and got rid of it when I realized that making a mistake on a bike is a lot more costly than making the same mistake in a car.
It's true that the cost of error is higher, and you pay for errors caused by others. And yet, in all that time I've been hit once by a car that pulled out from behind a truck. No damage to me or the bike, left a crease along the side of the car.

The trick is learning to anticipate what others will do, learn to compensate and just a tiny bit of professional paranoia. And leaving the fast stuff on the track. Of course, you can get a bike JUST for the track and avoid car-bike interactions entirely. But it's not for everyone.

It's true that the cost of error is higher, and you pay for errors caused by others. And yet, in all that time I've been hit once by a car that pulled out from behind a truck. No damage to me or the bike, left a crease along the side of the car.

The trick is learning to anticipate what others will do, learn to compensate and just a tiny bit of professional paranoia. And leaving the fast stuff on the track. Of course, you can get a bike JUST for the track and avoid car-bike interactions entirely. But it's not for everyone.
tru. It's also stupid cheap (at the same level) and I parked it in my bedroom.