TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Mixed messages concerning range upgrade

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Cooksomerice, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Cooksomerice

Cooksomerice Member

I picked up my 2016 MS 70KW
    Saturday.
    I have a 75KW battery.
    I was offered the upgrade at that time for $3300.00.
    When I asked the young lady handling my delivery, she recommended against it.
    She said I would see maybe 10 miles of range extension and perhaps a "little more power".

This is in direct contrast to what I've read on here and what I was told by my pre order guy.

So does anyone have any definitive data or information regarding the upgrade?

Just based on simple math, 5 kw should net around 17 miles range.
    Not sure how opening up the battery would boost performance either...

2. mblakele

mblakele (つ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)つ

Would another 10-20 miles of range be worth $3300 to you?

I'd think the 60->75 upgrade would be an easier sell.

3. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

I'm guessing you'd get about 15mi more after the initial battery degradation (4% in first six months for me). It certainly won't affect day to day driving and probably won't do much to affect when you stop at an SC. I can think of better ways to spend $3,300.

I think the "more power" is entirely wrong.

The difference in opinions is that the "pre-order guy" has a sales target, the "delivery lady" does not.