Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered my Model Y in January 2022. Just had multiple email exchanges today with my Tesla sales guy in the greater Seattle area about whether they would honor their representation at the time of the order that the charging cable was included. Response I got back was that he is as confused as many of us are and was not willing to make any statement until he gets more info from Tesla.
All I can say is that I wish I were an attorney as I can see a lucrative class action suit developing if Tesla backs out on providing people who have had cars on order for months with a means to charge their cars, particularly given that the necessary items are currently out of stock. It's like a dealer delivering a conventional car without a gas tank, and telling me I can purchase one, but they are on back order.
There's a shortage of chargers. The evidence? They've been out of them for months on Tesla Shop.

The talk of law suits? Come on.

There are multiple threads on this subject all over TMC. The current conclusion is that people who ordered their cars with chargers (up until this week) will get them. The SAs are doing their best, but they don't know any better than anyone else what the shortages will do to deliveries.

I would just say, be prepared to wait. You may not get your car until 2023, because, like it or not, there are not enough chargers to go around and nobody knows when the backlog will clear.

Can I ask if using the Tesla/J-1772 adaptor ($50) is easily added and removable to the handle of the JB40? Does it communicate with the car the same way as a Tesla-made charger? I know it doesn't have the built-in button on the habdle to open/close the chargeport, but does the Tesla LED "T" show the same colored and blinking indications as it would with an OEM Tesla charging cord? If I unplug early, are there any issues? What about leaving it plugged in overnight for conditioning?

Unlike a Tesla WC, I can't limit or set the JB40 to a specific amperage. It does appear that I can dial the car to limit to, say, 32A charging. During a long charging session, does the connection tend to stay at a set amperage, or might it stray from the setting on the car's screen?

The car would be outdoors, as I have no usable garage. The circuit is 40A 240v. The JB40 is the version that plugs into a 14-50 outlet (without a GFI).

Thanks you, in advance!

We have had a JuiceBox 40Amp charger, plugged into a 14-50 outlet, since Fall 2019 to charge my wife's BMW i3. Only difference from your setup is ours is in a garage.

When I got my Tesla MY last year, I was able to charge it with the JuiceBox using the J1772 adapter that came with the Tesla. I leave it in my car, and just pull it out when I need to charge at home. It's easy; I just slide the adapter onto the end of the JB plug, then plug into the Tesla. The "T" flashes the same, and I can set the charging amperage on the car's screen. The car's setting stays rock-solid.

I did end up buying a used Gen 1 Tesla mobile connector that came with a 14-50 plug, so that I had a spare. I like to go hiking and take road trips, and so I wanted something that would allow me to charge in out-of-the-way places where there are only RV parks.

I’m one of those waiting for my car so I’m hoping that existing orders do come with them Tesla just came about it all wrong they should’ve just said there’s a shortage of them and in order to not hold up your delivery we’re going to send the car without it and when they become available we will ship them to you
Even K-Mart would offer wrong pricing that it advertised, let alone a 60K-100K Tesla car. If I had a choice I would purchase eLexus or eGenesis in a heart beat. Sadly Lexus is TOO slow for the EV market

Anyone know of a forum where people actually like their cars? Just a bunch of bitching here I'm about done.
OliverM3
Stick around!
Remember when people who hated Howard Stern were asked why did they listen, their reply was "because they wanted to hear what he was going to say next"
There is bitching on every forum.
Some of the comments are quite amusing.

Reactions: weathergeekdan
Wait and see if it comes with the car? and if it doesn't, what then?

If I were waiting for delivery and uncertain as to whether I’d get a mobile connector, I would find an appropriate EVSE on Amazon with Prime. I‘d leave it unopened, then return it if the new Tesla did in fact have a mobile connector included at delivery. But either way, I’d still be annoyed with Tesla over this. Of course, not everyone has Amazon Prime, but you get my point.

I have owned multiple Level 2 (240V) EVSE from ClipperCreek and the owners manuals state that for safety you should turn off the power to the circuit at the circuit breaker, service panel before plugging or unplugging the equipment. This is for equipment with a NEMA 14-50 plug but could apply to any 240V receptacle.

Every requirement that is currently in the National Electrical Code (NEC) is there because somewhere, somehow, someone was electrocuted (shocked) or worse when working around or using the electrical service, equipment.
Ok, will do that with my 14-50. Will really only un-plug for road trips, or longer day trips, and those are a couple/few times a month (including day trips to Twin Falls or Boise or Idaho Falls, which all have superchargers) at most.

If I were waiting for delivery and uncertain as to whether I’d get a mobile connector, I would find an appropriate EVSE on Amazon with Prime. I‘d leave it unopened, then return it if the new Tesla did in fact have a mobile connector included at delivery. But either way, I’d still be annoyed with Tesla over this. Of course, not everyone has Amazon Prime, but you get my point.

Looking like I will get mine, I guess, so all good other than thinking it would be helpful for Tesla to improve its decision making/announcement/staff preparing and communications on things. And despite some feeling upset that anyone would complain, I think it is appropriate and fine to call it out. Who knows? As the company grows, maybe they will change a few things In that regard.

Meanwhile, even if I don‘t get my cord, I should be ok as I can borrow a neighbor/friend’s as he has a Wall Connector, and get one ordered pronto.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
Also, EDD range of May 9 - June 6 starts in 19 days. No updates yet. So, . . .

When I got my Tesla MY last year, I was able to charge it with the JuiceBox using the J1772 adapter that came with the Tesla. I leave it in my car, and just pull it out when I need to charge at home. It's easy; I just slide the adapter onto the end of the JB plug, then plug into the Tesla. The "T" flashes the same, and I can set the charging amperage on the car's screen.
How do you unlock the port to remove the plug when you're done charging?

If there is a GFCI circuit breaker on the circuit that feeds the 14-50 receptacle then you don't need to flip off the circuit breaker when plugging or unplugging (the GFCI in the circuit breaker has you covered.)
Ok, thanks for that clarification.

Mine looks like this. That other GFCI outlet is on another breaker for outlets, and has the Eero wi-fi plugged into it. The breaker is a 50.

DA6CE189-11AC-402C-BB18-C6D30DF83761.jpeg
219909A1-9770-4734-90F0-35E6A83B8B20.jpeg

And no, my garage does not have nice murals or Tesla art on the walls, nor mats on the floor. Rather, all sorts of stuff like bikes hanging from the ceiling, skis against the wall in organizers, waxing table against the back wall with a messy work bench, bike work station, various shelves and file cabinets, beer/beverage/more food garage fridge/freezer, and old stereo with BlueSound streaming attached, collection of old license plates and beer cans on a window sill. LOL!! But room for the Tesla and my wife’s Mazda CX-5, when it is time to park for the night. :)

And I will install a hook for hanging the charging cable when not in use also, and perhaps a ceiling hook, to hold the cable up over our heads so we won’t have to step over the cable as we enter and exit the garage.

How do you unlock the port to remove the plug when you're done charging?
Pressing the release button on the J1772 handle signals to the car it’s disconnecting just like pressing the button on a Tesla handle.

Otherwise you can select stop charging in the car or in the app if you’re away from home and using one of those J1772 locking rings that prevent you from pressing the handle release.

That other GFCI outlet is on another breaker for outlets, and has the Eero wi-fi plugged into it. The breaker is a 50.

View attachment 795676
Sorry, I don’t see the GFCI breaker here. These all look like normal breakers. GFCIs have “Test” and “Reset” buttons, or words to that effect. Also 50 amps for your eero network gives you a LOT of headroom on that circuit. For my home I use 8 eeroPro’s throughout the house and garage, but combined power needs are less than 60 watts at 7 watts each max consumption.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
If it is a GFCI circuit breaker how come the 50A breaker does not have a test button?

Yeah, I don't think it is either.
Sorry, I don’t see the GFCI breaker here. These all look like normal breakers. GFCIs have “Test” and “Reset” buttons, or words to that effect. Also 50 amps for your eero network gives you a LOT of headroom on that circuit. For my home I use 8 eeroPro’s throughout the house and garage, but combined power needs are less than 60 watts at 7 watts each max consumption.
Ok, obviously, I don't know what I am doing. I am very far from being an electrician. So, that means I either need to swap out that breaker for one that has GFCI in it, or go ahead and flip the breaker when I want to unplug. Right? Either way should work for now.

I can have it changed later, as we are going to build out the upstairs as an ADU above this separate garage at some point in the next year or two.

So, that means I either need to swap out that breaker for one that has GFCI in it, or go ahead and flip the breaker when I want to unplug. Right?
Yes. Circuit breakers are not like light switches in that they are not designed for regular use. Flip the breaker enough times and it may need to be replaced. The standard NEMA 14-50 receptacle is also designed for a limited number of plug and unplug operations given that in the home the 14-50 receptacle is typically used with an electric range (how often does your range/oven get unplugged?) Your best option would be to leave the Mobile Connector plugged in. If you regularly need to use the Mobile Connector on a trip consider a second Mobile Connector or one of the 3rd party portable Level 1/Level 2 EVSE that retail for ~$200.

Reactions: howardnj
Yes. Circuit breakers are not like light switches in that they are not designed for regular use. Flip the breaker enough times and it may need to be replaced. The standard NEMA 14-50 receptacle is also designed for a limited number of plug and unplug operations given that in the home the 14-50 receptacle is typically used with an electric range (how often does your range/oven get unplugged?) Your best option would be to leave the Mobile Connector plugged in. If you regularly need to use the Mobile Connector on a trip consider a second Mobile Connector or one of the 3rd party portable Level 1/Level 2 EVSE that retail for ~$200.
Agree that a dedicated charger would be better, but would swapping out the breaker for a GFCI also be reasonable? It's a 1 banana job and maybe better than flipping the switches, I imagine. And would meet code. Could be done a little cheaper.

Asking for a friend. :D

Agree that a dedicated charger would be better, but would swapping out the breaker for a GFCI also be reasonable? It's a 1 banana job and maybe better than flipping the switches, I imagine. And would meet code. Could be done a little cheaper.

Asking for a friend. :D
A GFCI circuit breaker would protect the user when plugging and unplugging the Mobile Connector, the current non-GFCI circuit breaker could easily be changed. The cost would be ~$100 plus any labor unless you do it yourself or have a friend who can change the breaker.

The standard 14-50 receptacle is not designed for repeated plugging and unplugging. With a 14-50 receptacle it is best to minimize the number of times it is used as the plug connection can loosen over time.

A second Mobile Connector or portable EVSE for travel would address both issues.

Reactions: DrGriz
A GFCI circuit breaker would protect the user when plugging and unplugging the Mobile Connector, the current non-GFCI circuit breaker could easily be changed. The cost would be ~$100 plus any labor unless you do it yourself or have a friend who can change the breaker.

The standard 14-50 receptacle is not designed for repeated plugging and unplugging. With a 14-50 receptacle it is best to minimize the number of times it is used as the plug connection can loosen over time.

A second Mobile Connector or portable EVSE for travel would address both issues.
Thank you for the additional information. 🍻

For myself, I put in an WC (last year) and basically let the tax credit pay for it.