Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please note that the J-1772 to Tesla adaptor is no longer included in the newly reduced-price mobile connector kit.
The Tesla SAE J1772 adapter accessory was never part of the Gen2 Mobile Connector kit, the adapter was a separate accessory included with the vehicle. According to the Tesla.com online store "This product (J1772 adapter) comes standard with purchase of any Tesla vehicle." You can purchase an additional adapter, i.e. if you want a spare or lose the adapter for $50 US.

Gotta love how you get charged the $200 right away for the mobile connector. It’s not rolled in to the price of the car.
Just another way for Tesla to increase profits immediately on a car they won’t deliver for 6+ months.

View attachment 799025
Or it's possible they charge you up front so that they can get the mobile or wall charger to you so you're ready for delivery. I doubt that you would want the wall charger arriving with your car. Also who would send you a product in advance with a car loan that hasn't happened yet.

Please note that the J-1772 to Tesla adaptor is no longer included in the newly reduced-price mobile connector kit. Those are an extra $50 (was $95) and would be a great thing to have if you are nearly out of juice but are near a non-tesla L2 charger. I wouldn't be without that piece.

Old mobile connector price without the 14-50 adaptor cord... $275 (which did includ the J-1772 adaptor)
Add the 14-50 adaptor cord +$45 (many people ordered that as well)
------
$320 Old Price if bought separately but also came with the cars

New price including the 14-50 plug adaptor $200
J-1772 to Tesla adaptor $50
-----
$250 New Price

$70 less for those things most of us had in our cars that statistics showed that most of us never used. ;)
Do you know if they are still including the J-1772 adapter with the car? That's the real question. If they are then it makes sense to remove it from the kit. If they aren't then it's just more nickel and diming from Tesla

Edit: If the J-1772 adapter was never included, as @jcanoe says above, this is a total none issue with the mobile connector. I'm still curious as to whether the adapter is included with a new car, though.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H and WhiteWi
Or it's possible they charge you up front so that they can get the mobile or wall charger to you so you're ready for delivery. I doubt that you would want the wall charger arriving with your car. Also who would send you a product in advance with a car loan that hasn't happened yet.
Yeah, I don't get his point there either - when you place an order, you pay a $250 deposit; that hasn't changed. With a car you don't pay for the rest of it until delivery, so they're not getting your money any earlier.

What I'm a bit unclear on is when they will ship a charger that you purchase with the car. A wall connector needs to be installed, so most people want that ahead of time whereas the mobile connector just needs to arrive with the car. I wouldn't expect them to send the mobile connector out without charging for it, though. Even if they did so, they'd still only be charging for a delivered product, just like every other company in the country.

Yeah, I don't get his point there either - when you place an order, you pay a $250 deposit; that hasn't changed. With a car you don't pay for the rest of it until delivery, so they're not getting your money any earlier.

What I'm a bit unclear on is when they will ship a charger that you purchase with the car. A wall connector needs to be installed, so most people want that ahead of time whereas the mobile connector just needs to arrive with the car. I wouldn't expect them to send the mobile connector out without charging for it, though. Even if they did so, they'd still only be charging for a delivered product, just like every other company in the country.
Yeah I'm sure it's a new workflow now. They're not adding it to every car and probably not even having them come from the factory. The store looks to be handling it. When you look at the order checkbox it shows an August delivery for the mobile charger and the wall charger looks to ship immediately.
I would imagine it's all being handled by the store now and ships when you pay for the order. Which works then you can get the wall charger installed well before the car.

Still no idea where the J1772 adapter fits in. Haven't seen if they come with the car or the mobile connector.

If the J-1772 adapter was never included, as @jcanoe says above
What I stated is that the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter was never part of the Gen2 Mobile Connector kit. The Tesla SAE J1772 adapter was and still is included with every new Tesla vehicle.

Until recently when you purchased the Gen2 Mobile Connector kit you would receive the Mobile Connector, NEMA 5-15 plug adapter and case. Now you will also receive the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter (just as Tesla used to do before they stopped including the 14-50 plug adapter in the kit.)

In summary, you no longer receive the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector kit with the purchase of a Tesla vehicle. You can add the Mobile Connector kit ($200 US) or the Wall Connector ($400 US) to your order at time of purchase or order these items separately from the Tesla.com online site.

You will receive the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter with the purchase of a new Tesla vehicle. You can order an additional Tesla SAE J1772 adapter from Tesla.com online site for ($50 US) if you lose this adapter or want to have a second adapter.

What I stated is that the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter was never part of the Gen2 Mobile Connector kit. The Tesla SAE J1772 adapter was and still is included with every new Tesla vehicle.

Until recently when you purchased the Gen2 Mobile Connector kit you would receive the Mobile Connector, NEMA 5-15 plug adapter and case. Now you will also receive the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter (just as Tesla used to do before they stopped including the 14-50 plug adapter in the kit.)

In summary, you no longer receive the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector kit with the purchase of a Tesla vehicle. You can add the Mobile Connector kit ($200 US) or the Wall Connector ($400 US) to your order at time of purchase or order these items separately from the Tesla.com online site.

You will receive the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter with the purchase of a new Tesla vehicle. You can order an additional Tesla SAE J1772 adapter from Tesla.com online site for ($50 US) if you lose this adapter or want to have a second adapter.
Yes, that's what I meant, sorry if it was unclear.

Have you confirmed that the J-1772 adapter is still included with the vehicle? I hope it will be but I haven't seen any official word either way and if they're taking the mobile connector out I don't know if we can assume anything.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Have you confirmed that the J-1772 adapter is still included with the vehicle? I hope it will be but I haven't seen any official word either way and if they're taking the mobile connector out I don't know if we can assume anything.
Yes, that is clearly stated on the Tesla.com web site. The Tesla SAE J1772 adapter can be found under Charging Parts.

Couldn't be any clearer; "This product comes standard with purchase of any Tesla vehicle."

SAE J1772 Charging Adapter

Use mine all the time - charging at the super market. Charging at hotels. Basically anywhere you want to charge that isn't a supercharger. (I use one charging at home, too, since I have a clipper creek charger).
Got you. I never charge outside of the house unless road tripping then it is superchargers. Hotels I stop have Tesla destination chargers.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Got you. I never charge outside of the house unless road tripping then it is superchargers. Hotels I stop have Tesla destination chargers.
Tesla chargers are the easiest but IME J1772 chargers are the most common. As other EVs become more common I'd expect non-Tesla chargers to become more common since businesses won't want to alienate people by limiting charging to Tesla only.

For home charging I was set to get a Tesla wall connector but my utility had an off peak charging program that was significantly cheaper but needed a 'generic' charger. Pretty easy choice there...