Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any business won't hand out freebies if it is found that the majority of people don't use them. The cable and connector are expensive, and rather than waste such things, Tesla (not Musk) wants only to get them to those who WILL use them. I'm sure most of the complainers here know this. Perhaps Tesla should have offered to "cut" the price of their car $400 if you didn't want any charging cords, right? But they don't know if people will use a wall charger or just a cord. If you're paying for a hundred-thousand-dollar car, surely anyone could fork over another half a percent for the adapter, IF they need it. And if they don't, why get one if it's just going to sit unused in the box? Or even in your frunk?
I think this would have gone over much better...since its easier to increase the cost of the car, and not be labelled a money grabbing, cheap skating, miserly skin flint doing it this way. Cmon, Elon sleeps on his friends couches, give the guy a break.

Any business won't hand out freebies if it is found that the majority of people don't use them. The cable and connector are expensive, and rather than waste such things, Tesla (not Musk) wants only to get them to those who WILL use them. I'm sure most of the complainers here know this. Perhaps Tesla should have offered to "cut" the price of their car $400 if you didn't want any charging cords, right? But they don't know if people will use a wall charger or just a cord. If you're paying for a hundred-thousand-dollar car, surely anyone could fork over another half a percent for the adapter, IF they need it. And if they don't, why get one if it's just going to sit unused in the box? Or even in your frunk?
It's not a freebie, since Tesla has the highest margins in the industry they have more than baked in the cost of the charger to the price of the car. The difference between being a money grab and actually caring about waste would be in how they carried out the change. They should have made it an option to select a mobile charger for free if you need/want one. Don't select the mobile charger if you don't want/need one.
That is how you show you truly care about limiting waste, not just about the money.

Even the price hikes for the cars is projected by raising prices for pretty much everything. If the prices go down so will the Tesla price over the time.
Again, Tesla has the highest margins in the industry and just had another record profit quarter. Their price increases are not linear to their cost increases. Since Tesla admits they saved money and are ahead of the industry with their long-term contracts saving them money.
You must also think Exxon Mobil is raising gas prices solely based on their cost of a barrel of crude oil, ignoring they turned a 7 year record profit in Q1 of 2022.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Not to be pedantic, but you have to subtract out the cost to manufacture, package and ship the mobile charger to ascertain their profit. Those costs are certainly not zero.
Right, but they are removing the charger, so those costs disappear. If you want to get technical, the extra profit is the manufacturing and shipping costs of the chargers.

Of course you can also argue that they will then take those same chargers and sell them in their online store for $200, so in then end, they make $200.

Reactions: Kairide
It's not a freebie, since Tesla has the highest margins in the industry they have more than baked in the cost of the charger to the price of the car. The difference between being a money grab and actually caring about waste would be in how they carried out the change. They should have made it an option to select a mobile charger for free if you need/want one. Don't select the mobile charger if you don't want/need one.
That is how you show you truly care about limiting waste, not just about the money.
Do you honestly think anyone would not select a free item on a car? Heck I probably would have selected it and just ebayed it since I don't need it.
If there was any substantial cost I probably would not.

Do you honestly think anyone would not select a free item on a car? Heck I probably would have selected it and just ebayed it since I don't need it.
If there was any substantial cost I probably would not.
Smarter thing would have been to add an option to decline the mobile charging cord for like a $100-200 credit instead. But then that would undermine Tesla's "no discounts!" narrative.

All I can say I ordered wall connector two weeks ago before new pricing and after I wrote to customer service they refund the difference of 95 dollars for me. Awesome. So much for Evil Tesla who doesn’t care about customer and only care about profits narrative. Lol
Are you saying, as a publicly owned company, Tesla doesn't care about profits?

Any business is there to make money. My point is Tesla is not evil! Like some trying to paint them as such.
I think that's more your inability to handle criticism of Tesla and tying to say that anyone who criticizes Tesla is painting them as Evil as a means of deflection.

It's perfectly possible to like Tesla and not agree with everything they do.

I think that's more your inability to handle criticism of Tesla and tying to say that anyone who criticizes Tesla is painting them as Evil as a means of deflection.

Yeah like the stupid Yoke and no stalks. Man that is such a dumb idea with zero advantage. And now Lexus is doing one. God I hope all car manufacturers don't go all battlestar galactica on us. I don't need my controls to somehow look like a spaceship I'm not a 12 year old boy.
Sorry off topic :)

Yeah like the stupid Yoke and no stalks. Man that is such a dumb idea with zero advantage. And now Lexus is doing one. God I hope all car manufacturers don't go all battlestar galactica on us. I don't need my controls to somehow look like a spaceship I'm not a 12 year old boy.
That’s funny. I actually thinking to buy yoke for our model 3 :)))

You seem to have a lot of criticism vs enjoyment with your Tesla. You keep on promoting other EV brands on Tesla forum which is weird too.