Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile connector or wall connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just placed my order for my first ever Tesla model 3 standard in a Tesla showroom. I let them know I would like the mobile connector set with my order the employee mentioned that it can be ordered on the app and left it out of the order. Now after the order I check and they are sold out with no option to pre order. As it is my first Tesla I am nervous I won’t have a home charger I have a garage that I can install a wall connector. ETA in delivery is sep-dec 2022 should I wait and see if the mobile connector come in stock or order a wall charger and have some come out and install. (It is also my first post in Tesla motor club so I apologize if I did it incorrectly)

Only (valid) reason I can think is that he wanted to use a 14-50 extension cord. However, certainly sounds like he was just using an adapter, which is a bit odd.

I have a 14-50 cord and 14-30 to 14-50 pigtail which I take with me when traveling to remote places. And have used that setup on the North Rim. Bit different situation though.
Yes, there are many lashups that make sense as a travel or emergency use, that I would never condone as an ongoing solution. For example, at home I still use a wall mounted EVSE plugged into a 6-50, from the days before I bought a Tesla. Back then, I used an OpenEVSE (with configurable amperage) as a travel unit. it has a 14-50 plug on it. I made a 6-50 adapter so I could use it at home temporarily in the event my wall mounted EVSE broke, which it did once. I also made a few others for travel.

I still have those adapters, and wouldn't hesitate to use them for those same purposes. However, it they didn't already exist, I would NOT make them again, I'd get the proper Tesla ones (actually I would wait until I actually had a need, as my adapters have mostly just collected dust), and I would NEVER use any of them as a daily charging solution.

BTW, that OpenEVSE is now wall mounted and plugged into a new 14-50 for daily charging my wife's RAV, and I still use that original EVSE plugged into the 6-50 as my daily charging solution for the Tesla. I no longer really feel a need to carry a portable EVSE, although I do carry the Tesla one just because I have it.

Upvote 1
Just placed my order for my first ever Tesla model 3 standard in a Tesla showroom. I let them know I would like the mobile connector set with my order the employee mentioned that it can be ordered on the app and left it out of the order. Now after the order I check and they are sold out with no option to pre order. As it is my first Tesla I am nervous I won’t have a home charger I have a garage that I can install a wall connector. ETA in delivery is sep-dec 2022 should I wait and see if the mobile connector come in stock or order a wall charger and have some come out and install. (It is also my first post in Tesla motor club so I apologize if I did it incorrectly)
For home charging, it's best to have a permanent wall connector as it's designed for that purpose: hard wired, fewer connecting points... It can provide higher Amperes than the mobile can.

For versatility, the portable connector is great but it's designed to be temporary. Repeated plugging in and pulling out might result in wears and tears.

I would go ahead and buy it now and have it done early rather than waiting until the last minute and might result in lateness.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If you already have a suitable 240V outlet in the garage, the mobile connector with plug adapter is the easiest solution.

If you need the wiring done, the wall connector will probably be about $50 more all in (+$200 for the wall connector versus the mobile connector, $-100 for not needing a GFCI breaker, $-50 for not needing an outlet), though if you go for higher capacity (wall connector can be put on a 60A circuit for 48A charging, while a 14-50 or 6-50 outlet can only be put on a 50A or 40A circuit on which the mobile connector can do 32A charging), there may be some additional extra cost.

The trade-off is having higher capacity (if your car can charge at higher than 32A) and some additional features for the wall connector, versus the ability to take the mobile connector on a road trip where you may plug in at your destination (as opposed to using Superchargers and public L2 chargers). Note that plugging and unplugging frequently is not recommended, but doing so occasionally is fine.

Upvote 0
You can also go with a non-Tesla option. Plenty of 3rd party companies that make quality L2 home charging systems and I doubt you'll have to wait. My home setup uses the mobile charger since it was included with the car last year. I already had a NEMA 14-50 circuit installed in my garage for a previous non-Tesla EV so I just bought the Tesla adapter and continued its use. As others have mentioned, I don't get the full charging amps since my charging circuit is only for 30A but it more than satisfies my weekly charging needs and time frames. I've also thought this setup will continue to work if I ever move on from Tesla since the Wall Charger is proprietary.

Upvote 0
If Tesla is still giving away the mobile connector, I would say just install NEMA 14-50 outlet and buy the adapter with it. We have 2 of them for the past 4 years charging daily and only had one problem. Tesla replaced that one for free because it came with the car and the car's warranty applied to it as well.

Now it is much harder. It does not come with the car and it is out of stock. The wall connector is great if you want to pay the money. Not only that it is more expansive but also more expansive to install by electrician. The guy will take one look at the Tesla logo and double his price. When we install the NEMA 14-50 outlets, we didn't tell our guy they were for Tesla when we got the quote. Tesla surcharge is real.

Reactions: alangold
Upvote 0
First of all WELCOME to the Family!

I mean it depends if where you live have Level 2 Chargers fairly accessible to you or Tesla Super Chargers. If I was in your shoes, I would just order it when it becomes available and just uses those charging method in the mean time. That way you don't have to fork out the extra cash to install a Wall Charger at home.

That way when you do get your Mobile Charger you can then evaluate if you really need to spend the extra cash for a wall charger or not.

Upvote 0
The installation cost between Wall connector and NEMA plug is almost the same (Wall connector will need a 60Amp breaker while the NEMA will need 50Amp), the reset is the same.

If you can spend the extra money do a wall connector and leave your mobile charger with the correct plug in the car so you can use it when you are on the road.

Upvote 0
Reactions: Big Earl
Upvote 0
The installation cost between Wall connector and NEMA plug is almost the same (Wall connector will need a 60Amp breaker while the NEMA will need 50Amp), the reset is the same.

If you can spend the extra money do a wall connector and leave your mobile charger with the correct plug in the car so you can use it when you are on the road.
Only if you install them yourself. When I installed my NEMA 14-50, the installation for it was $350. The installation for a Wall Connector from the same guy at the same location was quoted $600. At the time, wall connector was $500. So installing a wall connector would have costed over $1000.

Upvote 0
Welcome! I'm in a situation where I already have a 6-50 outlet in my garage, so I want to do the easiest solution which is the mobile connector. If I didn't have that already, I probably would have gone with the wall connector. I'm now down to a 2-week window for my estimated delivery date and getting anxious as I want to be able to home charge right away. I took a drive to closest super charger yesterday and it was just under 30 minutes to get there, so not something I want to have to do every few days. People have posted on the forum that they ordered their cars recently and were surprised to have the mobile connectors included when they picked it up. So, maybe there is a chance it will be included. Otherwise, I'm thinking it won't be back in stock until at least August based on the note on the website:

Note: Vehicle orders placed on or after April 28, 2022 will not include a Mobile Connector with delivery. Mobile Connector orders with both NEMA 5-15 Adapter and NEMA 14-50 Adapter will begin shipping in August 2022.

Upvote 0
From this recent thread: Do the NEMA 14-50 Adapters ever come in stock?

IMO, the Wall Connector is the best option. The reasons have been hashed out in numerous threads over the years, but the short version is it's safer (fewer electrical connections and points of failure), up to 50% faster, and more convenient.

Be sure to read this thread regarding NEMA 14-50 receptacles. Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide
The wall connector is about ten times as fast as the mobile connector. (On LR battery) assuming you are plugging your mobile connector into a normal wall outlet.

4mph vs 48mph (wall)

There are myriad other reasons, but 50% faster is not accurate.

Upvote 0
The wall connector is about ten times as fast as the mobile connector. (On LR battery) assuming you are plugging your mobile connector into a normal wall outlet.

4mph vs 48mph (wall)

There are myriad other reasons, but 50% faster is not accurate.
50% faster is accurate if you are comparing the speed of the mobile connector plugged into a >= 40A 240V outlet versus a wall connector hardwired to a 60A 240V circuit.

If you compare the mobile connector plugged into a 15A 120V outlet versus a wall connector hardwired to a 60A 240V circuit, then you could get an 8+ times difference in charging speed.

Upvote 0
50% faster is accurate if you are comparing the speed of the mobile connector plugged into a >= 40A 240V outlet versus a wall connector hardwired to a 60A 240V circuit.

If you compare the mobile connector plugged into a 15A 120V outlet versus a wall connector hardwired to a 60A 240V circuit, then you could get an 8+ times difference in charging speed.
Did they change the max charge rate for Model 3? I thought in the past, Only Model 3 AWD and Perf can be level 2 charged at 48 amp max. Model 3 RWD and SR+ will only maxed out at 32 amp. So in that case, OP is getting a M3 Standard so Wall Connector or Mobile Connector (with NEMA 14-50) would charge at the same rate of 32 amp?

Upvote 0
One other perspective. As pretty as the Tesla Wall Connector is, you might also consider a more versatile option, like a ChargePoint Home Flex. Delivers just as much power, but it means that your investment is not limited just to Teslas (yes, there are now and will be other EVs). It’s not quite as integrated with the Tesla as the Tesla Wall Connector (pressing the button on the ChargePoint’s connector doesn’t automatically open the Tesla charge port), but it has its advantages.

Upvote 0
One other perspective. As pretty as the Tesla Wall Connector is, you might also consider a more versatile option, like a ChargePoint Home Flex. Delivers just as much power, but it means that your investment is not limited just to Teslas (yes, there are now and will be other EVs). It’s not quite as integrated with the Tesla as the Tesla Wall Connector (pressing the button on the ChargePoint’s connector doesn’t automatically open the Tesla charge port), but it has its advantages.
I pretty much agree, but I went in the opposite direction. I have the Tesla now and I hope to have another EV in the medium future. There are Tesla to J-1772 adapters, so I'm hoping those work well with the wall connector.

Upvote 0
I pretty much agree, but I went in the opposite direction. I have the Tesla now and I hope to have another EV in the medium future. There are Tesla to J-1772 adapters, so I'm hoping those work well with the wall connector.
I think the only thing I’d observe is that the Tesla-to-J1772 adapters are more expensive and cumbersome than Tesla’s adaptor to do the reverse. It’s true, however, that the ChargePoint Home Flex is more expensive than Tesla’s Wall Adaptor, so on cost, it may be a wash.

Reactions: TSteve and Subie2M3
Upvote 0