Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Connector Woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have this issue? Most nights it takes one-two minutes twisting the mobile connector (MC) within the charge port to get the car to recognize the connection and start recharging. Twice during the four weeks I've had my Model S I couldn't get it to work at all, and went a night without charging. But it worked the next day.

I've confirmed that I can use public J1772, so I suspect a flaky MC. But I'd like some confirmation before contacting support.

No such issue here...I mean, it does take some force and I often find myself pushing again harder a second time to make sure it's all the way in; but it only takes a couple of seconds and has always worked. The worst thing that happened is once it wasn't all the way in, so the ring went "light green" instead of "green" and it charged at lower amps.

Definitely sounds like service is needed. As long as you're sure you're pushing it in all the way. Does the light-ring go yellow during the time it refuses to charge? (I had this issue whenever I didn't push the connector in far enough)

Definitely sounds like service is needed. As long as you're sure you're pushing it in all the way. Does the light-ring go yellow during the time it refuses to charge? (I had this issue whenever I didn't push the connector in far enough)

I have never seen yellow. The LED usually stays white, even after it locks in. Sometimes I go away and come back to find the LED blue.

I know the car sees something, as it won't let me put it into forward or reverse. And it detects the difference between the wall socket (12Amp) and my new 14-50 (40Amp).

I don't need to push hard at all. It has slipped in and charged every time. The posts about the J1772 adaptor is correct that it can be iffy to remove.
Unlock car.
Pull out adaptor with the J1772.
Remove the J1772 adaptor from J1772 plug.

The mobile connector or your NEMA 14-50 socket could be at fault. Have you confirmed the green lights on the mobile connector? Do you hear the car lock onto your MC plug?

If you want pm me and we can talk on a cell phone while plugging in our cars simultaneously to see if we could isolate the issue for you?

Bill
The

I have never seen yellow. The LED usually stays white, even after it locks in. Sometimes I go away and come back to find the LED blue.

I know the car sees something, as it won't let me put it into forward or reverse. And it detects the difference between the wall socket (12Amp) and my new 14-50 (40Amp).

I have been having trouble like this. I push it in, it does not lock, the ring turns yellow. I find that slight sideways wiggling will often seat it, the ring turns blue as it locks, and green to start charging.

In communicating with Tesla, it sounds like they are working on a new charge port design or iteration which will be mo' bettah. Of course, this is rumor, but I think they will be replacing charge ports if they find that is the problem. They have always taken care of any issues.

I would also say that if you can't get the port to accept the plug, pull it out and start again. With a firmer push plus wiggling, it has always connected in a few seconds. If I can't get it to work, then I have my wifey plug it in, and it never seems to give her any problems. Of course, neither do I. Smart car!

006c sm.JPG

I'm experiencing the same problem today. Won't go to green charging after several attempts. Turns white makes clicking sound without locking cable. Finally goes blue locks cable, but does not charge. Tesla is checking the logs, but they think it is the UMC They will overnight a replacement.

I hope the Nissan dealer will allow me to charge tomorrow for a few hours.

The problem is with the UMC. I'm currently charging at very nice Nissan dealership at 200 volts @ 30 Amps about 7 miles from home. Received a phone call from Tesla on Sunday 11 AM to let me know the car logs were not indicating any issue. Tesla is sending a replacement UMC for Tuesday delivery, service follow through was exceptional.

I forgot to mention - 8 salesman for Nissan were out admiring the Tesla. I offered test rides once I was able to get back to normal charging next week. They all were very impressed with the Tesla. My only regret is I found out the Leaf has heated steering wheel and back seats. A heated steering wheel would have been one a great option.

I picked up the car 7 hours later with 173 miles of charge. I can now easily make it until the new UMC arrives on Tuesday.

Last edited:
The problem is with the UMC. I'm currently charging at very nice Nissan dealership at 200 volts @ 30 Amps about 7 miles from home. Received a phone call from Tesla on Sunday 11 AM to let me know the car logs were not indicating any issue. Tesla is sending a replacement UMC for Tuesday delivery, service follow through was exceptional.

Good to hear. If you can get them to give you one of the no longer available Red UMCs then that would make up for your troubles. It seems to usually be the UMC when there are any problems. Same issue with the Roadster a long time ago and a new UMC fixed that problem.

Good to hear. If you can get them to give you one of the no longer available Red UMCs then that would make up for your troubles. It seems to usually be the UMC when there are any problems. Same issue with the Roadster a long time ago and a new UMC fixed that problem.
... and I might pay you a little extra to take it off your hands. ;)

Good to hear. Think about posting over here: Actual-Service-Experiences-with-Tesla

As new owners start to experience Tesla service it would be nice to have a few more Model S comments up there.

Does this look normal? I was changing the adapter from 110v to 240v but the 240 would not seat properly. Looking at the internal latch, it seems to have pulled out of it's detent and is resting on the proximity pin. Neither adapter will mount properly now.

Anyone else have this problem?

2T0A0071.jpg

Does this look normal? I was changing the adapter from 110v to 240v but the 240 would not seat properly. Looking at the internal latch, it seems to have pulled out of it's detent and is resting on the proximity pin. Neither adapter will mount properly now.

Anyone else have this problem?

I have read reports that this can happen if you are pushing the button while slipping another adapter onto the head of the UMC.