Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mode X Key Fob (non PUP) Open front doors...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So are you saying that you're ok with the 2 most often used doors should not have the capability to open them from the FOB. My initial question was for Non PUP Model X. This way when I approach the car I can see the vehicle and decide ok I'd like to open the door with the fob. Since the car is in my sight I can determine if I want to open manually or FOB.

I love it when people just assume things. I don't remember saying I'm ok with it. I don't remember passing any judgement. I was merely stating that given the current hardware maybe there's some reasoning behind it all. But as I said in my last sentence, my theory sort of falls apart in that it seems that in PUP you can use the fob.

I discovered this subject was discussed about one year ago and since nothing was done to rectify the situation, I wanted to have members' reactions a year later.

As a new owner of an X 100D non PUP, I was totally stunned when I realized I was unable to open my front doors with the FOB. Especially when it can open every other door, including the charger.

Opening the front doors with the FOB is clearly not related to PUP “Self-presenting front door that opens automatically as you approach” and even my Ownership Advisor was sure the FOB could open the front door.

When you live in a world where salted road is the norm, you have to be extremely careful not to scratch those fragile chrome handles. For now, I am looking at a RPM TESLA “Model X Invisible Door Handle Covers” as a temporary measure.

As a first step, Tesla should separate the self-presenting and FOB opening settings as this also appears to be a big complaint from PUP owners. As a second step, the FOB opening option should become standard (expected for a $100K+ car).

Opening the front doors with the FOB is clearly not related to PUP “Self-presenting front door that opens automatically as you approach” and even my Ownership Advisor was sure the FOB could open the front door.
You could also look at it a different way. FOB door automation is clearly related to the function automation of self presenting. They are both door opening automatons. The auto presenting has been an upgrade since inception. They only added the FOB automation capabilities at a later date. I am one who is glad that they respected my purchase of the PUP and enabled the feature for those who paid for it. Tesla obviously purposely packaged the two together with an all or nothing approach to the feature tying both to a single GUI setting. And, your OA was wrong with his assumption.

Tesla is distinguishing features with the PUP purchase. It helps justify the cost for us who paid for it. Packaging upgrades is not new in the auto industry. When I made my purchase, the sub zero functions where a separate upgrade which I purchased. Now they are part of the PUP. Even $100K+ vehicles have upgrades. I think it is unreasonable for someone to expect an upgrade for free. If you wanted the functionality, the simple fix would have been to pay for it.

I would like just have option to open front door with fob without enable self present doors for PUP

I just wanna open the door!!!
Exactly. That option should be de-coupled. I disabled the auto present but I wanted the fob opening. I have sent Tesla support an email requesting it before but other than the usual "forwarded to the right people" nothing happened afterwards. So I am getting a replacement vehicle and I will skip PUP.

You could also look at it a different way. FOB door automation is clearly related to the function automation of self presenting. They are both door opening automatons. The auto presenting has been an upgrade since inception. They only added the FOB automation capabilities at a later date. I am one who is glad that they respected my purchase of the PUP and enabled the feature for those who paid for it. Tesla obviously purposely packaged the two together with an all or nothing approach to the feature tying both to a single GUI setting. And, your OA was wrong with his assumption.

Tesla is distinguishing features with the PUP purchase. It helps justify the cost for us who paid for it. Packaging upgrades is not new in the auto industry. When I made my purchase, the sub zero functions where a separate upgrade which I purchased. Now they are part of the PUP. Even $100K+ vehicles have upgrades. I think it is unreasonable for someone to expect an upgrade for free. If you wanted the functionality, the simple fix would have been to pay for it.
Thank you for sharing your point of view. To better describe my point, I fully agree with having options but they have to be logical (like the Performance, Audio system, HEPA, 22” tires or the winter package) as they offer a group of additional functionalities as a whole without restraining the normal functionalities. Especially now that they force an all or nothing option for an additional 7K. This is almost like selling a door lock with optional keys. Yes, the lock will hold the door close but not very useful without the keys.

Thank you for sharing your point of view. To better describe my point, I fully agree with having options but they have to be logical (like the Performance, Audio system, HEPA, 22” tires or the winter package) as they offer a group of additional functionalities as a whole without restraining the normal functionalities. Especially now that they force an all or nothing option for an additional 7K. This is almost like selling a door lock with optional keys. Yes, the lock will hold the door close but not very useful without the keys.

I don't necessarily agree with the packaging logic. I was just representing the view of the PUP purchasers investment being protected and distinguishing. Two of the options part of the PUP and one standard today were separate upgrades when I bought in; cold weather, towing, and audio. But, I did get the ventilated seats which I can't live without and the main reason I took the package.

I'm not following this thread very well, maybe because I have PUP and have Auto-Present=ON. It was my understanding that:
  • non-PUP could still open the front doors with the FOB
  • PUP with Auto-Present=OFF could still open the front doors with the FOB
For my first 3 months of ownership I had Auto-Present=OFF and I thought the FOB opened the doors fine.
Are you all saying that my above 2 points are wrong??

I'm not following this thread very well, maybe because I have PUP and have Auto-Present=ON. It was my understanding that:
For my first 3 months of ownership I had Auto-Present=OFF and I thought the FOB opened the doors fine.
Correct, your 2 points are both wrong as of last year or so.

Without PUP you cannot open the front doors with FOB because there’s no “Automatic Doors” setting.

With PUP the auto present and FOB front doors opening are coupled together in “Automatic doors” setting mentioned above.

They changed this setting few times around but it has been like this for a while, at least six months.

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca
Correct, your 2 points are both wrong as of last year or so.

Without PUP you cannot open the front doors with FOB because there’s no “Automatic Doors” setting.

With PUP the auto present and FOB front doors opening are coupled together in “Automatic doors” setting mentioned above.

They changed this setting few times around but it has been like this for a while, at least six months.
That makes sense. The 3 months I had AutoPreset=OFF was in 2016, so prior to this change. I agree that they should de-couple this setting, although at the moment it doesn't affect me.

Your reply shows the confusion around the subject as many Tesla employees are also confused. I just wanted to add to the non-PUP subject:

For non-PUP, at this time, the only way (I know) to open the front doors from the outside is by pressing the door handles. All the hardware is available but this appears to be a decision from an executive at Tesla that believe somebody would pay an extra 8K (in Canada) to open a door with the FOB. Logically, options like PUP should include additional hardware that justifies the price and purchase-time commitment (Audio, HEPA, Weather, ventilated seats) but not limiting software FOB functionalities.

I really like this type of discussion as I believe a forum like TMC is a great way to share our concerns and better understand other members’ opinions. I know Tesla is sensitive to customers’ requests as long as they make sense and are shared by the majority.

I really like this type of discussion as I believe a forum like TMC is a great way to share our concerns and better understand other members’ opinions. I know Tesla is sensitive to customers’ requests as long as they make sense and are shared by the majority.
You know, my biggest request is to make the car remain unlocked inside my garage. I have sent the requests multiple times but nothing has been done. I guess that's not something the majority wants.

You know, my biggest request is to make the car remain unlocked inside my garage. I have sent the requests multiple times but nothing has been done. I guess that's not something the majority wants.
You are bringing an interesting point. We should not underestimate the power of a community like TMC. Maybe we should start a thread and compiling the 5 (or x) most important requests to be presented to Elon Musk as a TMC community list. We probably need to verify with the site management team if they would support such initiative and if this was already done (if yes, what was the outcome)