Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model ☰ License Plate Ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you get vanity plates in advance of getting the car?? I called the motor vehicles division yesterday and they said they would not allow that.
Yea the only way I know to get a custom / vanity plate in NY/NJ is to have a vehicle you're willing to put it on 'now'. Since my 2008 Subaru Tribeca just had a regular old plate (and I'm willing to put the new vanity plate on it now) I was good to go.

Now if I had an ILUVBECAS plate on my car then yea I'd have a problem...

Yea probably MORE than ONE. :D

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Here's a random Vanity Plate question to all those who have been down this road before...

Do you vanity plates have a higher risk of being stolen? I'd have to assume yes and if so does anyone know where one might get bolts with 'tamper proof' heads like odd star drive or some other non 'regular or philips head' as so to dissuade the average joe/jane sixpack from grabbing said plate on some drunken whim?

I say YEA if someone wants it bad enough they WILL find a way to get some non-standard bolt off to take the pate but for the vast majority it'll keep em busy long enough so they move on to their NEXT 'bad idea'. :D

Edit: And to answer my own question Amazon has quite a few options to choose from... Just search tamper resistant vanity plate bolts.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
Yea the only way I know to get a custom / vanity plate in NY/NJ is to have a vehicle you're willing to put it on 'now'. Since my 2008 Subaru Tribeca just had a regular old plate (and I'm willing to put the new vanity plate on it now) I was good to go.

Now if I had an ILUVBECAS plate on my car then yea I'd have a problem...

Yea probably MORE than ONE. :D
The poster was in Australia

Here's a random Vanity Plate question to all those who have been down this road before...

Do you vanity plates have a higher risk of being stolen? I'd have to assume yes and if so does anyone know where one might get bolts with 'tamper proof' heads like odd star drive or some other non 'regular or philips head' as so to dissuade the average joe/jane sixpack from grabbing said plate on some drunken whim?

I'm not sure why someone would want to steal a vanity plate. If they want to be a jerk, then you can't reason with stupidity. But are you wondering if the thief would see value in your plate? I don't think a vanity plate could be registered to another car without showing proof that it was previously registered to you.

I'm not sure why someone would want to steal a vanity plate. If they want to be a jerk, then you can't reason with stupidity. But are you wondering if the thief would see value in your plate? I don't think a vanity plate could be registered to another car without showing proof that it was previously registered to you.

It is probably just like with street signs, people like to use them for decoration...

It is probably just like with street signs, people like to use them for decoration...
Yep exactly... I guess the degree of undesired behavior is directly proportional to the distance one is to a very large metro area and here in NJ we are king... (NJ #1 Density by states by population rank and land area also the highest taxed iirc)

full