Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure has been posted already, but i would like to make a dedicated thread for the updates.
According to speculation from China:

https://twitter.com/Tesla__Mania/status/1304968609903439872

New steering wheel
Center console 2.0 (whatever this means)
New headlights and tail lights
Power lift trunk
Chrome delete
Octovalve
Double layer glass for better noise isolation

TroyTeslike found out a big order for heat pumps, delivery 8/2020 for the Model 3:

https://twitter.com/TroyTeslike/status/1305163731286986759

Is it truly imminent an upgraded 3 and morevover with Heat pump?
Honestly i was signing a contract but i did stopped waiting for the "Model 3.1" as someone called it..

https://twitter.com/KelvinYang7/status/1304464655163813888

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ehzg5MVWAAEg53H?format=png&name=small

Tesla New Model 3 to be Equipped with Octovalve, Heat Pump, & More

Recently, Tesla CEO Elon Musk said that the company is already working to make noise reduction much better and continues to work on it. Perhaps Musk was referring to the double-layer glass, which will be installed in the new Model 3.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1296364519569215489

While @Tesla__Mania claims that the new changes may only appear at first in the China-made Model 3, this may not reflect the whole picture. In fact, it may just be a piece of the puzzle, and we will be able to see a clearer picture in the near future. Perhaps on September 22, Tesla will reveal more details regarding this.

I do totally hate chrome delete, i hope they will refrain from it. Chrome can always be delete, all way round not so...

Last edited:
Does anyone know of the chances of these being retrofitted by tesla? Just picked up my LR :(

Don’t worry about that, the best Tesla is the one you have. Tesla updates their stuff as they go, there’s no 2021 model of anything. They make production line changes immediately so there’s no way to game the system. Enjoy your brand new LR Model 3!

Don’t worry about that, the best Tesla is the one you have. Tesla updates their stuff as they go, there’s no 2021 model of anything. They make production line changes immediately so there’s no way to game the system. Enjoy your brand new LR Model 3!
Thanks, I intend to, but the octavalve would be a welcomed addition (seeing as I have the new "frunk" already) along with the power lift trunk, which I was looking at aftermarket kits.

Tesla updates their stuff as they go, there’s no 2021 model of anything. They make production line changes immediately so there’s no way to game the system.
True, they don't do MY, but i had to call it in a way to differentiate, with even only a part of those changes, totally worth of waiting. We will see if at battery day anything is said about Model 3. If not, TMC and Twitter are faboulous to let us know when the cars become delivered with changes. I'll be ready at the first sign of heat pumps, the rest could well come in time...

A heat pump is much more efficient than a resistance heater at temperatures around 10C. "California cold". A heat pump is a big deal in places like Europe, where temps between 5C and 15C are the norm.

At temperatures below freezing, a heat pump uses a resistive heater to prevent ice from forming in the heat pump's outlet airway. This resistive heating makes the heat pump less efficient at low temperatures. By about -10C, the heat pump will be about the same as resistive heating.

US EPA fuel economy/range tests include a hot cycle at 95F (45C) and a cold cycle at 20F (-6.7C). These temperature points don't benefit from a heat pump, so a heat pump will have no benefit to the EPA range rating. That's why a lot of other OEMs put heat pumps in European EVs but delete them from the US models. But even without a rated range benefit, we'll see a big real world benefit from a heat pump. In California it will be a big help from November through March, while in the Midwest or Canada it'll be a big benefit in October/November and March/April.

Well said. Even if you had those things, they will be upgraded eventually also.
You’ll never pull the trigger if you wait for the next upgrade, because there will always be another upgrade in the works. :)

A heat pump is much more efficient than a resistance heater at temperatures around 10C. "California cold". A heat pump is a big deal in places like Europe, where temps between 5C and 15C are the norm.

At temperatures below freezing, a heat pump uses a resistive heater to prevent ice from forming in the heat pump's outlet airway. This resistive heating makes the heat pump less efficient at low temperatures. By about -10C, the heat pump will be about the same as resistive heating.

US EPA fuel economy/range tests include a hot cycle at 95F (45C) and a cold cycle at 20F (-6.7C). These temperature points don't benefit from a heat pump, so a heat pump will have no benefit to the EPA range rating. That's why a lot of other OEMs put heat pumps in European EVs but delete them from the US models. But even without a rated range benefit, we'll see a big real world benefit from a heat pump. In California it will be a big help from November through March, while in the Midwest or Canada it'll be a big benefit in October/November and March/April.

Didn’t know this. Thanks.
Living in Canada, the cold winter is where I mostly wanted better efficiency. (Still not a big deal, but would be nice). I don’t have concerns in the other months you mentioned.
If the pump is not overly beneficial/effective at colder temps, then I feel better about the whole heat pump thing not being present. :)