Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Abstract Ocean Matte Screen Protector Before/After

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Got my Matte Anti-Glare screen protector in the mail yesterday! Pulled my car out into the sun and installed it this afternoon. It was NOT easy to get all the dust off the screen - I wonder if running a humidifier in the car while you work would help. So after spending a good 15 minutes getting almost every spec of dust off my screen, I was able to install the protector. Ended up with a few small bits of dust under it, but overall I decided it was "good enough". (I have a 2nd one if I decide to fix it later).

The Abstract Ocean pattern was really good, and getting the protector lined up perfect was really easy.

Anyway, for those thinking about the matte protectors, here is my screen before in screen clean mode:

20180210_124643.jpg

Here it is on before install:
20180210_123829.jpg

And here is the after in screen clean mode (sorry for the dust):
20180210_130724.jpg

And after with the screen on:
20180210_130750.jpg

Overall, it really changes the look of the screen. I never used a protector on my screen on the S, but the glare seems worse on the 3 so I decided to try this. I don't know yet if the matte will be better or worse during everyday driving. It definitely cuts down on the sharp glare, but it also softens the reflections making them cover a larger part of the screen.

Perfect timing. I just ordered one earlier today. I have an anti glare/fingerprint protector on my X and it is great. Been looking for one on the 3 and found it this morning. Hoping it has the same result as the one I have on the X. I hate the glare and fingerprints.

Thanks for the post

Reactions: Jimmy 1
Well, after commuting with the matte protector for the first time today, I may be removing it. With polarized lenses you get a distinct rainbow effect across the whole screen that I found distracting.

I could probably get used to that, but I think the glare reduction function wasn't noticeably better than the standard screen, and maybe a little worse, honestly. There were some portions of my drive where I couldn't read anything on the map side of the screen. Not a problem for my commute, but an issue in unfamiliar territory while trying to follow the NAV.

I think the orientation of the 3 screen is just a really bad spot for glare. If it was tilted just a bit towards the driver, that would probably help a ton. I will miss the fingerprint reduction the screen protector provided, but will probably go back to stock.

I've been thinking about the 5H Ultra-hard screen protector for whenever I get my 3. For me, scratches and fingerprints (I have super oily fingers) are a bigger issue than glare. I've gotten used to not having matte screens and I don't use polarized sunglasses.

Usually, the solution to glare is just a brighter screen. I find that matte screens don't remove glare, they just spread it out. Is that as bright as the Model 3's screen can get?

Reactions: 03DSG
I never put a protector on my Model S, but recived a Model 3 Proetector as a gift. I installed the Matte Protector and consider it a must have item now. The screen on the 3 sits high enough, that I think you need it in bright sunlight.

What I would like to see is a screen protector that is not a matte finish but instead uses an anti-glare coating like lenses frequently use. You get clear images but a substantially reduced glare. Supposedly Screen Petronus makes one but no reviews on it so I don't know if it works or not.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
What I would like to see is a screen protector that is not a matte finish but instead uses an anti-glare coating like lenses frequently use. You get clear images but a substantially reduced glare. Supposedly Screen Petronus makes one but no reviews on it so I don't know if it works or not.
I know companies make 3 or 4 finishes. Mine was a gift, so I did not choose, but I do like it. You should be able to get the one you are looking for.

We did try a few coatings that claimed to reduce the glare. The vast majority of them (maybe all) use the same technologies as used on eye glasses, but that doesn't nothing in the context of the screen. To put in another way, when you look at a pair of specs that has a coating, vs. one that doesn't, they generally look the same aside from a slight color tint. If you look through them, then yes, they help with glare, but it's a one-way thing, it can't be reversed for a screen protector. In any case, none of them made any apparent difference.

We're about to release our 9H (tempered glass) versions (matte and gloss), my personal preference it still for the matte finish, due to the glare. Generally it's not too bad in the M3, but if you happen to have the sun low and in front of you, and facing slightly up hill, it really does reflect a lot of the cabin.

I think you are not completely correct on this read the following:

Non-reflective coating, also referred to as anti-reflective coating, or glare resistant treatment, is a clear magnesium fluoride coating, normally applied to both sides of a lens. On occasion, the non-reflective coating is applied to only one side of the lens at the customer’s request.

The coating limits light reflection by allowing the maximum amount of light to pass through the lens. Non-reflective coating is effective for reducing headlight glare or a halo effect and helps to reduce eyestrain when using a computer. This means a wearer’s eyes will be less tired at the end of a day spent focusing on a computer monitor. Another benefit of the coating is it causes the lenses to appear cosmetically more pleasing by reducing or eliminating reflections.

While non-reflective coating definitely has its benefits, it also comes with some downsides. The non-reflective coating can cause the lens to have a faint green or blue appearance. Lenses with non-reflective coating are more difficult to clean and are known for smudging easily. Something as simple as a person’s eyelashes lightly brushing across the back of the lens can cause a blurry smudge.

Just as with every other industry, when technology improves, so does a product. This is true with non-reflective coating as well. Because of advancements in technology there are different levels of coatings available today to suit everyone’s needs.

The standard level is considered the lowest of the levels and smudges easily and frequently. This is one of the main reasons it is the least expensive. The ultra and premium levels are the highest of the levels and the most costly. They have a reduced frequency of smudging are more scratch resistant than the standard level making them more appealing and effective for the wearer. They reflect less than the standard level and allow the maximum amount of light to pass through a lens.

There is more than one application process for applying non-reflective coating onto the surface of an eyeglass lens. One process is spraying the coating on, and then exposing the lens to high heat for an extended period of time, causing the liquid solution to harden and adhere to the lens.

Another process is a type of vacuum application where the lens is placed inside a large machine and then coated with a liquid. The vacuum process combined with high intense heat results in a hard layer of non-reflective scratch resistant coating adhering to the lens.

A third process of how non-reflective coating is applied to a lens is in the fabrication process at the time the lens is made. The coating is actually built into the material and distributed throughout the lens.

If the non-reflective coating is defective or becomes scratched, the coating can be removed. This will get rid of any discoloration caused by crazing or scratches, making the lens virtually brand new to the wearer.

Here is an article that goes into great depth on AR coatings and their effectiveness: Anti-Reflection (AR) Coatings | Edmund Optics

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
Thanks. I guess what I'm saying is that all screen protectors, and indeed Tesla's screen, will have an anti-glare layer. It's a basic component, but, they're just not very effective in an automotive environment, and there's a balance between the glare reduction and light transmission. We did try some of the secondary coatings (chemically applied, not the 'magic' spray on stuff), and could see differences in terms of tint and/or screen brightness, but no tangible reduction in glare/reflection. I assume this is why just about every infotainment system I've ever used always has a matte screen, typically the only gloss screen is for the instrument binnacle, and that's normally angled and/or shaded to prevent reflection.

Just installed the Clear HD glossy screen protector from Abstract Ocean. Looks perfect, no huge issue with glare, does a decent job of not picking up too many finger prints. Definitely recommend.

I think Matte screen protectors diminish perception of sharpness and brightness based on my experience with my various iPads, and now I exclusively use glossy screen protectors.

Just installed the Clear HD glossy screen protector from Abstract Ocean. Looks perfect, no huge issue with glare, does a decent job of not picking up too many finger prints. Definitely recommend.

I think Matte screen protectors diminish perception of sharpness and brightness based on my experience with my various iPads, and now I exclusively use glossy screen protectors.
did the same but i have an issue with the rainbow distortion using polarized sunglasses; considering removing now but will give it a few weeks...

I installed the Abstract Ocean Matte Tempered Glass screen on my new Model 3 today. I found that the three pieces of tape supplied with the screen for temporarily aligning the top edge would not stick to the screen protector. As soon as I flipped the screen up to get the final dust off with the supplied "stickers", the tape gave way. Next I tried blue painters tape - same issue.

Then I tried using 4" long pieces of black electrical tape - success! To insure it would hold while flipping up for the final dusting, I used a total of five pieces along the top edge. The rest of the installation went smooth.

I was a little concerned that the matte (according to some reviews) would lower the "resolution" of the display as it supposedly adds a little fuzziness. I found it very acceptable after using it for a day. The matte gives it a very "clean" look as compared to a HD super-sharp, yet highly reflective surface. I suppose the slight change in sharpness would be noticeable on a flat screen TV, but we're not watching movies here. My eyes are not as good as they once were, and if I experienced any difficulty reading the screen then I would have removed the protector.

I highly recommend.

I installed the HD anti-fingerprint and it looks great. No lost in contrast and also see fewer fingerprint marks.

+1

This is the one I went with as well and it is fantastic. It is cut so precise and I managed to align it so perfectly that you cannot tell it is there. I only clean the screen once every couple weeks now to take care of the fingerprints.