Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Am Radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After some experimenting, I was able to add an AM radio using an SDR dongle but the performance was not very good and it required to much effort.
I have a better idea for traffic alerts. In another thread, I have added Amazon Echo Auto to my Model 3.
You can add the "Total Traffic" skill to your flash briefing for your city.
You can then just say "Alexa, play my flash briefing" and you will get traffic alerts.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Tesla doesn't have the circuit for AM within its radio hardware. It's possible they just didn't bother to utilize it because they didn't want to add the software and/or antenna for AM support to the car. You can buy complete AM/FM receivers on a single chip these days (TV's too.) All the car manufacturer needs to add is the audio amplifier and antennas to support the receiver chip. I would be surprised if the Tesla doesn't use some type of receiver on a chip.

WTF, I listen to AM all the time during baseball season. I guess there should be a way to stream Sirius/XM from my iPhone through the Model 3’s audio system?

Yes, you can run the XM app on your phone and bluetooth into the cars audio system. Also see if the AM station that you like does streaming via tunein (which is built in to the cars infotainment), iheart (another phone app), etc.

Reactions: Mr. Big
After 10 years of Sirius XM (lifetime package!) FM is INFURIATING. I can't even stand that. AM?! not a chance, but it did remind me of this.

You do know XM has demonstrably worse audio quality than FM, right? Assuming input audio is the same, FM should always sound better than XM. Only caveat to that is if the 'HD radio' FM does too many subcarriers and subdivides out their bandwidth too much.

You know I wonder how many of us Model 3 owners are also hams? I'm still trying to figure out how to do HF mobile (will the bands ever come back?) cleanly.
I'm a ham, but I only run VHF in my car. I think HF would be a challenge in a car this size. I guess it partially depends on how ugly you want to make your M3. All I had to add for VHF was a through glass roof antenna. The transmitter is small enough to fit the console storage and runs off the 12v power plug, so not a lot of work to get VHF in the M3.

You know I wonder how many of us Model 3 owners are also hams? I'm still trying to figure out how to do HF mobile (will the bands ever come back?) cleanly.

It'd be nice if Tesla would build a vehicle suitable for Field Day. Our FD site is kinda out in the sticks. (We use a 5000' mountain top with miles of rough road leading up to it.) A Model X with air suspension might work, but is kind of extravagant. So for now it is yet another excuse to keep my old 4WD Suburban around...

And yeah - it would be nice if the bands would come back.

Most smart phones have a radio chip installed that receives FM and AM stations. You have to download an app, then the headphones act as the antenna. I wonder if streaming from a smartphone with the headphones plugged in will allow the radio app to still stream to bluetooth.