Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Am Radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has been some speculation that the model 3 does not have an AM radio due to car generated noise.
So I thought that I would do a test using my Ham radio with an antenna that is not tuned to AM radio frequencies.
I picked an AM radio station that was 50 miles away so that any noise could be heard easily. I also drove around in case the motors would generate noise while driving. The result - no noise observed!
A real AM radio with a proper antenna would have performed much better in terms of signal strength. (This antenna was a 40M or 7.2 MHz antenna)
Pardon the abrupt National Anthem!

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean everyone doesn't.

In SoCal I like to listen to KNX1070 for news, traffic, etc on my drive. Having to fudge my way around with patches (phone apps) that don't integrate with the car other than Bluetooth is frustrating.

More integration through apps and voice commands would go a long way to help those of us that would prefer options. I get that the car doesn't have an AM radio but shoving TuneIN/Slacker while ignoring standard apps (Spotify etc) is just annoying.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean everyone doesn't.

In SoCal I like to listen to KNX1070 for news, traffic, etc on my drive. Having to fudge my way around with patches (phone apps) that don't integrate with the car other than Bluetooth is frustrating.

More integration through apps and voice commands would go a long way to help those of us that would prefer options. I get that the car doesn't have an AM radio but shoving TuneIN/Slacker while ignoring standard apps (Spotify etc) is just annoying.
I am with you. KNX1070 is my favorite in the morning.

Reactions: kysrsoze
#1. Curious, where is your IC-7100 drawing power from? (On-board vs. portable battery-pack).
#2. You're using an $800 USD MSRP transceiver vs. a consumer/automotive "grade" radio on a chip/IC that's stamped in the millions per year, pennies on the dollar. ;)

73's

#1. Curious, where is your IC-7100 drawing power from? (On-board vs. portable battery-pack).
#2. You're using an $800 USD MSRP transceiver vs. a consumer/automotive "grade" radio on a chip/IC that's stamped in the millions per year, pennies on the dollar. ;)

73's
1. Using the 12V socket for power. Wired in an Ammeter and keep the power turned down a little.
2. It was just a test to see if there was interference. I'm sure I could find an AM radio if I wanted one.

Reactions: Kermee
1. Using the 12V socket for power. Wired in an Ammeter and keep the power turned down a little.
2. It was just a test to see if there was interference. I'm sure I could find an AM radio if I wanted one.

Re: 2., I know. ;) Just stating that you're using a much more sophisticated receiver, especially ICOM units, which could possibly be much better at rejecting RFI/EMI than a typical consumer grade AM radio. Not all receivers are created equal. I've had AM radios that would freak out over CFL lights back in the day, and some that didn't.

AM radio is a basic safety and traffic awareness tool on the East coast. The absence of ability to tune into the DOT messages in my new model 3 has caused me significant problems on more than one occasion.

Many East coast DOT and turnpike agencies along with bridge authorities assume you have AM radio to receive urgent traffic messages including closed and rerouted lands, closed bridges and weather-related safety info. Generally, at the high end at or above 1060 and low end below 800. Since driving my Model 3 I have in fact missed more than one important message on the New York State Thruway and even more critical at bridges and highways approaching NYC. The result of not being able to tune into the message has on two occasions cost me two or more hours of being trapped in snarled traffic. I note the same message system in Florida, Maryland and Pennsylvania. While in some areas these radio messages are being supplanted by flashing message signs, this is still not true in many cases, or the flashing message sign is too late to avoid becoming trapped in traffic or finding out that, (as happened to me) that the toll road is closed due to snow and you have driven to the entry location only to have to turn back and go out of the way on other highways.

There are AM Radio apps for smartphones. I don't know if they will work for emergency broadcast. it's worth a looking into. If they do work, then we should start requesting Tesla put an AM radio app just like slacker app.
These Dot Emergency broadcasts are very short range AM. They are real time and no radio app can work. I have a small transistor AM radio in my Glove box, which is the only answer to this problem, right now.

• Informative
Reactions: ljbad4life
For you young folks the 8 track had pretty good fidelity. The endless reel system sometimes had a problem in high humidity. It had much better sound than the cassettes until they were Dolby-ized with metal-oxide tapes. My home entertainment system can play everything except cylinder phonographs and 8 tracks. My Dual 1019 turntable sounded terrible until i realized the cartridge stylus mounting had collapsed onto the record surface. A new stylus fixed it. I also have an Ampex 1270 reel to reel tape recorder with vacuum tubes. I have 60 year-old 7 1/2 ips tapes that still play well. What are these "thumb drives" people speak of?

• Funny
Reactions: iwannam3