Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 and 1 pedal driving slices through traffic like butter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meh
I’ve been EV driving for many years now, so while my Model 3 has way more power my freeway driving is super relaxing.
Just enable EAP with a follow distance of between 4 or 6 and relax while watching the manic traffic carvers zig zag across the lanes in front of me - all to get to the same parking lot as me but one or two cars in front.
Who cares? It’s just not that important to me.

Reactions: davedavedave
Meh
I’ve been EV driving for many years now, so while my Model 3 has way more power my freeway driving is super relaxing.
Just enable EAP with a follow distance of between 4 or 6 and relax while watching the manic traffic carvers zig zag across the lanes in front of me - all to get to the same parking lot as me but one or two cars in front.
Who cares? It’s just not that important to me.
Wow you put the follow distance at 4 to 6? I usually got with 2 or 3 and even then people still cut in front of me.

Although I don't really care if people cut in front of me when EAP is driving. The thing I hated most when I was driving an ICE was slamming on the breaks.

Reactions: Pkmmte
The Bolt is similiar to the i3 I thought. I can get to a complete stop without touching the brakes.

Have you guys tried turning off “creep” mode? That may let it stop with peddle off. In creep mode it acts like an ICE car. I actually like this mode as it’s great in stop and go. I’ve not tried turning it off but I’m assuming you can get to complete stop without it

Have you guys tried turning off “creep” mode? That may let it stop with peddle off. In creep mode it acts like an ICE car. I actually like this mode as it’s great in stop and go. I’ve not tried turning it off but I’m assuming you can get to complete stop without it

I drive creep off from the beginning. Took a day to get used to it.
Still need brake pedal for under 5mph though when eap not on.
Yes eap is awesome for stop and go traffic.

Reactions: davedavedave
Wow you put the follow distance at 4 to 6? I usually got with 2 or 3 and even then people still cut in front of me.

Although I don't really care if people cut in front of me when EAP is driving. The thing I hated most when I was driving an ICE was slamming on the breaks.
In Seattle area, 4 is fine.
For California trips, I drop it to 3 to lower the cutoff frequency.
In Texas, I might even try 5.

Nice thing about setting to 6 is that it really cuts down the hard braking when @insaneoctane cuts in front :p
Seriously though, a larger follow distance let’s other cut in front without the car slowing down too quickly. It’s a much more relaxing ride then.
I used to have it on 1 or 2, but people would still cut in and the car would slow down really quickly.

Getting my Model 3 next week, how hard is it to adjust to regenerative brake? If you take your foot off, does the car stop immediately or slowly?
It's not hard at all, IMHO. It feels like a deceleration curve when taking your foot off slows down slightly for the first half second then a bit harder after that. Of course, you're not supposed to take your foot off completely when driving with regen. Simply adjust how hard you push.

On a side note, how the heck do you people even live with AP follow distance set to 3+? I have mine set to 1 at all times and people still cut me off. I end up having to press the accelerator at times because the gap is too large at 1.

Reactions: t3slatx
Getting my Model 3 next week, how hard is it to adjust to regenerative brake? If you take your foot off, does the car stop immediately or slowly?
It took me 2 days to really nail the timing of stop signs and lights, so I never had to touch the brake (Bolt, so it will bring the car to a full, prompt stop without using the brake pedal). Hardest part is if you go back to something without the one-pedal mode, you'll likely scare the crap out of yourself a couple times as you brain remembers "Oh yeah, the brake pedal is a thing!"

Have you driven a standard transmission vehicle before? It's a little like that if you could always be in the gear that put you at the top end of revs. ;) You get that engine retard braking sense when you lift your foot to let the accelerator pedal rise back up. You only take your foot fully off if you want to brake down to near a stop. Tesla has it so you'll still need to use the brake pedal for that very last bit to come to a complete stop (less so if you turn off the Creep setting) but other than that and emergency braking, you'll not need to use the brake pedal.

Last edited:
I adapted within a few days, but not without the occasional lapse ... Oh, yeah! You are punished when you forget because you are not driving smoothly when you forget and if you have occupants, they may judge you. I feel like the regenerative brakes offer approximately the braking power of my former ICE car when I am slowing to a light or stop sign. I might brake a tad earlier now because I loath using friction brakes now!

It's not hard at all, IMHO. It feels like a deceleration curve when taking your foot off slows down slightly for the first half second then a bit harder after that. Of course, you're not supposed to take your foot off completely when driving with regen. Simply adjust how hard you push.

On a side note, how the heck do you people even live with AP follow distance set to 3+? I have mine set to 1 at all times and people still cut me off. I end up having to press the accelerator at times because the gap is too large at 1.

It took me 2 days to really nail the timing of stop signs and lights, so I never had to touch the brake (Bolt, so it will bring the car to a full, prompt stop without using the brake pedal). Hardest part is if you go back to something without the one-pedal mode, you'll likely scare the crap out of yourself a couple times as you brain remembers "Oh yeah, the brake pedal is a thing!"

Have you driven a standard transmission vehicle before? It's a little like that if you could always be in the gear that put you at the top end of revs. ;) You get that engine retard braking sense when you lift your foot to let the accelerator pedal rise back up. You only take your foot fully off if you want to brake down to near a stop. Tesla has it so you'll still need to use the brake pedal for that very last bit to come to a complete stop (less so if you turn off the Creep setting) but other than that and emergency braking, you'll not need to use the brake pedal.

I got used to it on my first drive and I was like all cars should have regenerative braking. I can't even stand driving an ICE vehicle anymore.

I adapted within a few days, but not without the occasional lapse ... Oh, yeah! You are punished when you forget because you are not driving smoothly when you forget and if you have occupants, they may judge you. I feel like the regenerative brakes offer approximately the braking power of my former ICE car when I am slowing to a light or stop sign. I might brake a tad earlier now because I loath using friction brakes now!

Thanks! I'm going to enable creep mode and low regenerative brake on the way home from pick up, and maybe do a few more rounds of practice just to be safe. :cool::D

isn't the whole point of AP so you don't have to worry about it? who cares if there's a large gap in front of you when the car is driving itself?

Reactions: insaneoctane
Thanks! I'm going to enable creep mode and low regenerative brake on the way home from pick up, and maybe do a few more rounds of practice just to be safe. :cool::D
I wouldn't overthink it. I have only driven a rented Model S, but turned creep off and regen to high within 5 minutes of rental and was having a blast the whole weekend. You will adapt quickly.

isn't the whole point of AP so you don't have to worry about it? who cares if there's a large gap in front of you when the car is driving itself?
It's a bit difficult to not worry about it when the car harshly slows down every time someone cuts in front. I tried experimenting with a larger follow distance to prevent harsh deceleration every time someone cuts off but then I noticed wayyyyy too many people driving around to overtake me, even in the slow lanes.

It's even worse when traffic comes to a stop and I have to accelerate while it's slowing down so the cars behind don't rear-end me since they're not used to others leaving huge gaps in front. This follow distance used to be much tighter and nicer when I first bought my Tesla. :/

Answer: Don't live in California.
Yup.

Reactions: ℬête Noire