Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 and 1 pedal driving slices through traffic like butter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting my Model 3 next week, how hard is it to adjust to regenerative brake? If you take your foot off, does the car stop immediately or slowly?

If you’ve driven a manual transmission proficiently, it’ll be a smooth, immediate transition - it’s just like down-shifting, but without the stick and the clutch.

Otherwise, YMMV, as the saying goes. ;)

If you’ve driven a manual transmission proficiently, it’ll be a smooth, immediate transition - it’s just like down-shifting, but without the stick and the clutch.

My only experience driving a Tesla was a P100D test drive and I have to say it felt very natural. (been driving nothing but manual for 35 years)

In the not too distant future, imagine explaining to your kids/grand kids that driving with a steering wheel isn't all that difficult, and they look at you like "how on earth do you drive without full self-driving?" :p:D

I've been wondering what will happen when there are more EVs on the road, and both drivers in a situation think they're going to jump in front of the other. Boom boom cwash cwash.
Zackly. There haven’t been tons of Teslas around here but the number is ticking up rapidly of late. The other day I pulled away from a stoplight and was mildly freaked to notice the person next to me keeping pace. First reaction, some kid wanting to race? (I do not floor it out of a light, I just pull out, but as you all know that leaves pretty much every ICE driver well behind without even trying.) But on checking, no, it was just another Model S also pulling out sedately (for a Model S).

The point of the story being, in the last three years my reflexes have been inadvertently conditioned to believe I’m the fastest thing on the road by default. Which is not a safe assumption to internalize.

I have to admit to finding it extremely amusing that so many folks enable EAP/Autosteer but insist on micro-managing the follow distance.
Even funnier is the outrage at people cutting “in front”.
It’s just traffic and you’re not going to be that much slower overall just because some cars pull into the gap you leave.
I find that EAP makes me a lot calmer when I drive. Before I would be so annoyed if I wasn't going 80+ mph, but now I set EAP at 70 mph and I just sit back and relax. Doesn't matter if cars cut in front of me, EAP will take care of it.

Reactions: EinSV and jgs
I have to admit to finding it extremely amusing that so many folks enable EAP/Autosteer but insist on micro-managing the follow distance.
It’s just traffic and you’re not going to be that much slower overall just because some cars pull into the gap you leave.
It gets annoying when you get cut off like 5 times in a minute. It’s not about slower or not. It’s just too many cars getting in front of you and then having to worry and needing to step in

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
In the future, cars will be able to communicate between each other. Platooning will become normal.

Instead of leaving a light where the first car goes, then a few seconds later the next car goes. In the future the whole line of vehicles will launch at the same time and twice as many vehicles will be able to flow together through the light.

My attitude changed about when people cut in front of me.I realiz ed that if 10 people cut in front, then I will only be delayed for the time it takes for 10 vehicles to pass my spot.

Perhaps only 10 seconds or so getting to my destination.

I stopped being so competitive and began to really enjoy the ride.

It is if they don’t cause me to have to brake each time they squeeze in. It’s again. Not the time 10 seconds or 1 minute. But the cause for the need for me to step on the brakes just so they can cut in front of me comfortably. People in Los Angeles suck. They expect you to have to brake and yield to them.

• Love
I think this could be helped a lot by making TACC less aggressive about slamming on the brakes to make room. Humans tend to coast more in reacting to being cut off. In addition to acting as a disincentive for the next three cars planning to cut you off, it is less uncomfortable and unsafe feeling to the TACC driver.

Also, I kind of want a setting in the Tesla firmware that automatically honks whenever the cutoff triggers FCW.

• Love
I agree with the sentiment that EAP should have everyone relax a bit and get there in due time... The issue that I have is with the jerky drive that results from people cutting in front of you. EAP isn't smooth when someone cuts in front of you. It is far too robotic and slams on the brakes. This is an area I'd love to see some NN improvements made. EAP needs to relax a little and then maybe I could!

• Love
Funny, I don't feel like TACC slams on the brakes when someone gets in front of me. Seems like it generally just lets up on acceleration to allow the space to open up. Could be for any of a number of reasons I guess, including (listed in what I think is order of likelihood):
  1. I have following distance set to 7 so there's more margin for error than if I had it set to 1.
  2. The drivers in my area are less aggressive than where the complaints are coming from.
  3. I'm using AP1.
  4. I'm just not noticing/I don't care.
I'm going with 1 because I do sometimes notice brakes being applied, generally when I'm in low-speed traffic and so the following distance (even at 7) is closed down to just a couple car lengths.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman
Funny, I don't feel like TACC slams on the brakes when someone gets in front of me. Seems like it generally just lets up on acceleration to allow the space to open up. Could be for any of a number of reasons I guess, including (listed in what I think is order of likelihood):
  1. I have following distance set to 7 so there's more margin for error than if I had it set to 1.
  2. The drivers in my area are less aggressive than where the complaints are coming from.
  3. I'm using AP1.
  4. I'm just not noticing/I don't care.
I'm going with 1 because I do sometimes notice brakes being applied, generally when I'm in low-speed traffic and so the following distance (even at 7) is closed down to just a couple car lengths.
Maybe because drivers in LA will cut in if their car might fit.. .

• Love
I think this could be helped a lot by making TACC less aggressive about slamming on the brakes to make room. Humans tend to coast more in reacting to being cut off. In addition to acting as a disincentive for the next three cars planning to cut you off, it is less uncomfortable and unsafe feeling to the TACC driver.

So turns out that AI system in control when the Uber car in AZ ran over the woman had been programmed to make passengers feel better, a less jerky ride at times, by not braking at all if the maneuver was going to exceed a certain fraction of a G. The presence of the pedestrian was detected, about 1.3sec out IIRC, but when that info passed on to the logic deciding what to do about it the outcome decision was "keep on trucking".

Good chance the collision would still have happened but not necessarily at fatal speed.

Please stop to consider the moral consequences of that, for a moment. Of a clear trade-off between "I like the sensation of this ride experience better" against a bystander's life.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dr. J and jgs
'm going with 1 because I do sometimes notice brakes being applied, generally when I'm in low-speed traffic and so the following distance (even at 7) is closed down to just a couple car lengths

It depends on the skill of the driver cutting in.
I had occurrance with following at 7, but in merge of two lanes to one after a traffic light, driver didn't use available space and insisted on forcing me to brake to open up even more to avoid fender on fender collision. I presume Eap could use the sonar to accommodate such drivers but doesnt tet.

Yes i was annoyed because eap and incompetent driver disrupted my zen state. ;-)

Since then i have increased to 7 when necessary to mostly avoid this.

In southestern PA where i commute, even following at 1 annoies following drivers.

So turns out that AI system in control when the Uber car in AZ ran over the woman had been programmed to make passengers feel better, a less jerky ride at times, by not braking at all if the maneuver was going to exceed a certain fraction of a G. The presence of the pedestrian was detected, about 1.3sec out IIRC, but when that info passed on to the logic deciding what to do about it the outcome decision was "keep on trucking".

Good chance the collision would still have happened but not necessarily at fatal speed.

Please stop to consider the moral consequences of that, for a moment. Of a clear trade-off between "I like the sensation of this ride experience better" against a bystander's life.
If you make your passengers (including the driver) black out because of abrupt behavior that's even worse. It's a balance. Obviously.