Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 and the dirt accumulation design flaw?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Looks like a typical Tesla trolling site. In the video, there are rocks the size of half-bricks trapped under the floor panel, which suggests to me it has been driven off-road at speed. Not something I would worry about, but I would get the SC to clear out any winter mud trapped inside the rear bumper if that turns out to be an issue.

Looks like a typical Tesla trolling site. In the video, there are rocks the size of half-bricks trapped under the floor panel, which suggests to me it has been driven off-road at speed. Not something I would worry about, but I would get the SC to clear out any winter mud trapped inside the rear bumper if that turns out to be an issue.
I had seen one of the videos before "I found 15 Pounds of Dirt in my Tesla Model 3 | Shocks | Tires | Brakes After Dirt Road Driving"
I just figured probably best not to take a Tesla dirt road driving. didn't know it was a real world issue

Oh :/

I hadn't heard of that before.

Yes, some had actually done that but I've not revisited that thread to know how successful it is.

From my understanding, the tow hitch hatch (say that after a couple of pints) may go some way to, in an unintentional way, to help reduce the problem. By sounds of it, the hatch is present on all recent model 3's, irrespective of whether the tow hitch is actually fitted. Maybe Tesla in fitting the hatch are in some ways acknowledging the problem, even if its just to gain a bit better access to the problem area.

I'm pretty sure that there Canadians complaining about the amount of snow that would collect in there as well. Unlike dirt, the snow melts.
I've watched the Dirty Tesla videos almost religiously while waiting for my model 3 to get delivered, he really covers some distance on the dirt roads.

I have seen the video, and if I lived down a 10 mile dirt road, I'd be worried. In fact the guy demonstrates that it is fairly easy to clean the dirt out, and says he is going to have to do it once or twice a year.
I have heard of Canadians mainly reporting their rear bumper fell off, with little or no reason. Seems to be the weight of dirt under the rearmost plastic protective panel constantly applying force to the bumper, and it gives way.
I do think this is an actual design fault, but whether it would arise at all in parts of the UK where we do not drive on dirt and very rarely on packed or loose snow is unclear. What I suggest is getting it up on a ramp at end of winter for a powerwash clean, and taking the opportunity to take the plastic protective covers off, or at least loosen them, for an inspection. Watch Dirty Tesla's video (the name is not ironic) on YouTube to see how to do it.

Hello. I've got a '23 M3P. I recently had a flat fixed at Schwab and had reason to believe that the lift was done incorrectly, so I took a peak at the underside when I got home. I found what appeared to be two popped plastic pins at the front of the (plastic) rear motor cover where it interfaces to
the back end of the (quite solid) battery cover. The photo below is one of those "popped pins" and you can see the approx 1/2" bulge in the motor shield. So I scheduled service and sent them this photo.
IMG_0424.jpeg

Here's where the story takes a turn, not to Tesla's credit but the shop manager apologized to me on the phone and spoke to me in person, and told me he held a meeting with his team to go over the 1/2dozen or more mistakes that were made with my service visit. I'm omitting the SC location because I believe in the end every issue was resolved.

I asked them to remove the rear motor cover and send me pics of what they found inside. Here are those pics (both motor covers). Keep in mind that I'm rural (ruralectric, get it?) but I avoid gravel roads like the plague because on my last M3 on such drive on a gravel road at low speeds (25-30mph) for about 3 miles took the paint right off the rocker panels. Anyway they did so and here are the pics. These after one year of driving, and all but a very few slow miles on gravel or dirt roads:

motor covers Park4of6.jpg

motor covers Park6of6.jpg

Here's the kicker: No on at the SC ever looked at my photo of the popped pin. And clearly there were communication problems because whilelmy concern was with the rear cover they removed both front and rear covers, and put them back and reported seeing no damage to either cover (and so no improper lift at Schwab). The two popped pins at the front of the rear cover, one on either side were probably like that from delivery. The service manager told me that the pins aren't seperate from the cover and to fix the issue in my photo would require a new cover. AND he told me that the popped pins are not an issue and that gravel and other debris gets in there regardless. (Note the drain holes). And if you reach under there at the back of the rear cover it's just open anway and you can reach up and inside the cover.

The service manager admitted that it's a bad design and that they see gravel and other debris in there all the time. I've also seen plenty of pics online where someone has driven over a rock or something and those shields just get shredded. Yeah, plastic on the underside held in there by plastic pins. Brilliant. You can actually purchase aftermarket metal replacements for these covers, but Tesla won't install them for you. Evannex sells them. I've got an invite to configure my CT reservation. I'm not configuring anything of the sort until I find out how much plastic is under those damn things. Hopefully none. To be clear, I love my M3P. I will keep it whether or not I get a CT. But they are not without their design flaws. I Worry about driving mine even over crusty snow now, and I've put heavy duty gorrila tape over the two bulges at the front of the rear shield so that they are not acting as scoops for debris.

I believe I have not written the definitive post on those damn plastic motor shields. It always FUD folks. I hope this helps clear things up.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Looks like someone won the “old thread resurrection prize” … and came specially to the UK&Ireland forum to do it! I don’t think I’ve seen a gap of nearly 5 years before…
Ha ha. I hadn't even noticed. Right. Yup the thread came up in a search result. What I found last night after I pulled into my garage was a very fine trail of fine dirt left by the car. No doubt because I drove several miles last night over a dry dirt road. The trail looks like what you might see if someone laid a thin line of gunpowder down for dynamite fuse. Like in the cartoons. Weird, but there you go. Was curious if anyone had seen long dirt trails behind there cars! At least there are drain holes in the motor shields now (apparently unlike the older M3 featured in one of the above posts.

Well mates I'll have to see if there's another better place for the post. I hope so, so that I can fix all the bloody typos. Cheers!🍻