Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Android Auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah I had CarPlay in my volt too, used it exclusively for navigation. Haven’t felt the need for either since I got model 3 (been almost a year).

I miss Android Auto.
I prefer Waze to google Maps, and seamless on-device music library and messaging integration are nice features that come with Android Auto or CarPlay, but not with Tesla UI.

My mobile device is the center of my daily life, not my cars, so it would have been helpful if the two integrated better.

Alas, it appears Tesla is allergic to opening up its UI screen to other providers, so the chances of AA or CP integration don't look good.

a

Tesla navigation mostly works about as well as Google Maps, but better than Apple's mapper.
Nothing stopping you also having Waze running on your phone simultaneously for those "special" alerts. :)

Neither Apple's CarPlay or Android Auto are needed in order to broadcast audio from your phone through the Tesla speaker system.

The big advantage for Tesla's navigation are:
1) Integration with battery status and power usage to forecast future battery levels and warn driver
2) N-on-A uses the maps, and future FSD improvements will also use the maps

Reactions: android04
....Neither Apple's CarPlay or Android Auto are needed in order to broadcast audio from your phone through the Tesla speaker system...
Don't have my Model 3 yet but in my ELR using Apple Music in CarPlay is FAR far easer, more elegant and feature rich than playing through BT. Even if no CarPlay I wish Tesla offered an Apple Music app (and Spotify, Pandora,....) Apps work so much better than a kludgy BT interface.

Don't have my Model 3 yet but in my ELR using Apple Music in CarPlay is FAR far easer, more elegant and feature rich than playing through BT. Even if no CarPlay I wish Tesla offered an Apple Music app (and Spotify, Pandora,....) Apps work so much better than a kludgy BT interface.

And I really like Android auto, but you can have Android auto play through your phone.

About the best excuse I've come up with for Tesla not having third-party access is security. I would think they'd be able sandbox it, but a security breach would really be devastating.

And I really like Android auto, but you can have Android auto play through your phone.

Not exactly.
You can stream music via BT, but that's the opposite of Android Auto / CarPlay, which support seamless integration into the car, and use vehicle's nav screen as a larger phone display.

Tesla would not want to give up the entire screen to Google / Apple, but they could dedicate the RHS iframe without difficulty, if they wanted to do so.

Nothing stopping you also having Waze running on your phone simultaneously for those "special" alerts. :)

True, but that's not as elegant as having Waze project on a big beautiful Tesla display!
;)

The big advantage for Tesla's navigation are:
1) Integration with battery status and power usage to forecast future battery levels and warn driver
2) N-on-A uses the maps, and future FSD improvements will also use the maps

I agree that Tesla nav is almost as good as Google maps, but there are features that I miss from proper Google Maps/Waze like root selection, dynamic rerouting based on traffic updates, speed trap alerts, etc, etc.

I remember reading a while back that Tesla's underlying maps come from google anyway.
Either way, we'll manage w/o AA/CP (aka first world problems) :D

About the best excuse I've come up with for Tesla not having third-party access is security. I would think they'd be able sandbox it, but a security breach would really be devastating.

There are no security issues with AA/CP, but there are licensing $$ implications to Tesla in integrating with both.
There is a bit of jealousy in allowing Apple/Google make money off the drivers via Tesla's display, without any rev-share back to Elon. Actually, Apple/Google insist on charging automakers for taking over their screens. How rude!

Instead, Tesla chooses to keep its options open to monetize those screens on its won down the road.
There is validity to those business incentives and considerations.

a

There are two Android Auto features that I miss in the Tesla system:
  • Android Auto (or Google Maps, really) gives two or three route options for most trips. (It's necessary to dig a bit to find the options, but they are there.) I often used this to avoid routes that I know are bad in one way or another, or to pick the route that's shorter in miles (and therefore will use less electricity) vs. one that's shorter in time by a trivial amount. Both Android Auto and Tesla's navigation seem to favor shortest-time routes, even if the time saving is trivial. Of course, I can ignore the Tesla's directions, and sooner or later it will re-route; but depending on where my own knowledge is good vs. spotty, this might not work too well.
  • When playing audio through Android Auto and navigating, the audio will pause when the navigation gives verbal directions. When playing Bluetooth audio through the Tesla, the verbal navigation instructions play over the audio, which makes it hard to discern either one. This issue isn't as bad when listening to music, but when listening to news or podcasts, I'd really prefer to have the playback paused while the navigation system is yapping at me.
Of course, as others have said, it's possible to run Google Maps, Waze, or any other mapping app on a cell phone in a Tesla. This might be fine if you don't need the visual display, but as Tesla's provided phone nook is so low, it's not a good option if you need to look down at the phone to see its route on the map very often. (You'd have Tesla's map, of course, but without the route information.)

<rant>Tesla is one of the best cars out there for many reasons including the constant upgrades, so makes sense by introducing wireless Android Auto/CarPlay would be the way of getting even more frequent updates (from Google/Apple), and ensuring compatibility with future phones to make us owners even happier. I love my Tesla and don't really care about the CarPlay/AA maps, but the ease in which I can provide a continuous experience in listening to Spotify, and podcasts in my Honda Jazz/Fit with my aftermarket Kenwood Stereo with Wireless Android Auto makes the audio entertainment section of the Tesla a joke, especially when it keeps logging out of Spotify (which can't favourite Podcasts), and Tune-In which can't let track podcasts well at all.
FYI - The unofficial Android Auto app for listening to GTA5 radio's is also a classic feature I'm sure Elon would love.
As a workaround - a simple Ask Google/Siri interface and use of Bluetooth (albeit poor audio quality) would go a long way to helping the audio experience.
FYI - I tend to use Bluetooth but my wife is constantly complaining about the dodginess of the Spotify interface in the car.</rant>

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
The fact Tesla bothered to design their own in-house system to read and reply to text messages should be the final nail in the coffin of "When will the do CP/AA?"

There'd be 0 reason to bother having done that if they ever intended to add AA/CP.

Not exactly.
You can stream music via BT, but that's the opposite of Android Auto / CarPlay, which support seamless integration into the car, and use vehicle's nav screen as a larger phone display.

Tesla would not want to give up the entire screen to Google / Apple, but they could dedicate the RHS iframe without difficulty, if they wanted to do so.

True, but that's not as elegant as having Waze project on a big beautiful Tesla display!
;)

I agree that Tesla nav is almost as good as Google maps, but there are features that I miss from proper Google Maps/Waze like root selection, dynamic rerouting based on traffic updates, speed trap alerts, etc, etc.

I remember reading a while back that Tesla's underlying maps come from google anyway.
Either way, we'll manage w/o AA/CP (aka first world problems) :D

There are no security issues with AA/CP, but there are licensing $$ implications to Tesla in integrating with both.
There is a bit of jealousy in allowing Apple/Google make money off the drivers via Tesla's display, without any rev-share back to Elon. Actually, Apple/Google insist on charging automakers for taking over their screens. How rude!

Instead, Tesla chooses to keep its options open to monetize those screens on its won down the road.
There is validity to those business incentives and considerations.

a

Any proof they charge? Apple clearly says no charge on their website for CarPlay to manufacturers.