Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Autopilot suddenly tried to turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
culpability is rarely binary. tesla's marketcomm shoulders some responsibility - its not any lessened by the chief executive's public promises of cars driving themselves coast to coast

I understand what you are saying.

However if Tesla wrote down ( on its website and in the car ) what its cars features will and won't do and what your responsibilities currently are.....and then that's absolutely true.....then what is the irresponsibility.

I really and truly don't understand why anyone isn't suing Tesla for what we are talking about if its such a simple irresponsibility on their part. There are TONS of people who abhor tesla and are looking for anything to use against them, however they aren't using this item of discussion.

Why? Why won't this discussion stand up in court?

Yes, which is very common
Not to mention those big lane arrows probably threw the computer off a little bit
It all just means to pay attention while using AP. We have to accept its far from perfect

The car tried the centre itself but it doesn't understand the arrows or the no cross markings at the end of a turn off. It just shows its current limitations in that area. Look forward to the future updates with this and I hope the video helps in improving AP. FSD upgrade wouldn't have made a difference here.

The car tried the centre itself but it doesn't understand the arrows or the no cross markings at the end of a turn off. It just shows its current limitations in that area. Look forward to the future updates with this and I hope the video helps in improving AP. FSD upgrade wouldn't have made a difference here.

a FSD should have, that's for sure. Otherwise if not, they need to keep working at it. It seems "easy" that the solution is for the camera to look further down the road to see where "straight" is, use the right line marker to judge where it should be,and not jerk to the left since going to the left is only to exit out the lane. I say "easy" because its easy for you and other humans to determine what is the continuation fo the lane going straight, and what a turn off is. If that's too much to handle when FSD gets here then Tesla is in trouble. When they release FSD people will truly rely on it and believe the computer should be making the driver decisions. And I don't blame them, because what does FSD stand for again?

a FSD should have, that's for sure. Otherwise if not, they need to keep working at it. It seems "easy" that the solution is for the camera to look further down the road to see where "straight" is, use the right line marker to judge where it should be,and not jerk to the left since going to the left is only to exit out the lane. I say "easy" because its easy for you and other humans to determine what is the continuation fo the lane going straight, and what a turn off is. If that's too much to handle when FSD gets here then Tesla is in trouble. When they release FSD people will truly rely on it and believe the computer should be making the driver decisions. And I don't blame them, because what does FSD stand for again?

Yes which I believe for e.g. The Kia Eniro could do very well with Lane Keeping Assist the car I had before the Tesla. So that's why I question the way its advertised to the reality of things. Should advanced safety be used anywhere near a Beta product?

I quote from the website "Autopilot advanced safety and convenience features are designed to assist you with the most burdensome parts of driving."

What is safe about my video?

I think you can see at the point of purchase the confusion there...?

I understand the FSD isn't full self driving yet. You don't have that yet....so I'm talking about what you do have.

You have AP.

According to Tesla AP does not read arrows or anything.

The car wasn't reading arrows because AP can't do that.

HW3 can see arrows and it shows up on the screen, however it doesn't react to them yet. I have HW3 and see them all of the time with both AP and FSD enabled and running. It doesn't follow arrows.

He doesn't have FSD.

So you see this hardware should be able to handle level 5 autonomy. If not then they need to change the wording.

software-update-2020-4.jpg

Reactions: BikerPeaBody
So you see this hardware should be able to handle level 5 autonomy. If not then they need to change the wording.
Nowhere does Tesla assert Level 5 autonomy in any of the cars that they sell. The closest they have ever come to making those claims is a promised demonstration (as distinct from "product for sale to consumers), which did not manifest.

Tesla sells Full Self Driving Capability (emphasis mine), and when offers to sell it makes quite clear that that label is with an eye to future updates, and further makes clear exactly what capabilities are currently available, and which are expected "soon".

What is currently available within the domain of FSD capability is: "Onramp-to-offramp" Level 2 autonomy, Autopark, Smart Summon, "Dumb" Summon, and an "FSD Visualization preview".

Nowhere is it claimed that the car will respond to turning lane arrows, stop signs, or stoplights (notwithstanding the "hey dummy you're running a red light" warning which is only currently designed to be a reactive "hey dummy!"; not a proactive response).

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
You should sue them.

or Sell your car.

or Get your money back.

Well I have proven my point about what I was sold and the terminology used to describe it by Tesla. I am willing to wait for FSD to arise and post more videos up to help eliminate the quirks. Lets see in the next few years. I want them to deliver on what I bought into a level 5 fully self driving model 3 that is safer than a human using advanced sensors as it says even on the Tin.

I do love the drive.

Nowhere does Tesla assert Level 5 autonomy in any of the cars that they sell. The closest they have ever come to making those claims is a promised demonstration (as distinct from "product for sale to consumers), which did not manifest.

Tesla sells Full Self Driving Capability (emphasis mine), and when offers to sell it makes quite clear that that label is with an eye to future updates, and further makes clear exactly what capabilities are currently available, and which are expected "soon".

What is currently available within the domain of FSD capability is: "Onramp-to-offramp" Level 2 autonomy, Autopark, Smart Summon, "Dumb" Summon, and an "FSD Visualization preview".

Nowhere is it claimed that the car will respond to turning lane arrows, stop signs, or stoplights (notwithstanding the "hey dummy you're running a red light" warning which is only currently designed to be a reactive "hey dummy!"; not a proactive response).

So a Tesla " Full Self-Driving Computer " means something different than its definition or industry acceptance of such a level of driving?

This is what Tesla offers you when you are looking at Full Self-Driving Capability:

View attachment 512112

I don't see how this is in any way unclear or presents anything that could be confused with Level 5 autonomy.

"If you have the capability or the capabilities to do something, you have the ability or the qualities that are necessary to do it." Full Self-Driving is the former. So a full self driving computer should have the capability to get to level 5 autonomy. Unless Tesla are shifting the goal posts at will?