Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Autopilot suddenly tried to turn off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The computer is presumed to eventually be capable of more autonomous driving. It does not currently have that capability. What it does have presently is explicitly and clearly enumerated. Tesla cannot be faulted for selective literacy on the part of its consumers.

"If you have the capability or the capabilities to do something, you have the ability or the qualities that are necessary to do it." Full Self-Driving is the former. So a full self driving computer should have the capability to get to level 5 autonomy. Unless Tesla are shifting the goal posts at will?

Capability to 'get to'? Sure (at least Tesla believes so, otherwise they wouldn't be bothering to do the upgrades)

Current ability? Nope.

A computer can do LOTS of things- but until given the software to do so, won't do those things.

Capability to 'get to'? Sure (at least Tesla believes so, otherwise they wouldn't be bothering to do the upgrades)

Current ability? Nope.

A computer can do LOTS of things- but until given the software to do so, won't do those things.

Yes and there is nothing to say they will not. In fact they have been upgrading older hardware for new as required. May that go on and if my model 3 does eventually require a LIDAR retro fit I will be in line with you all for this free update. OK that's a joke!

Well I have proven my point about what I was sold and the terminology used to describe it by Tesla. I am willing to wait for FSD to arise and post more videos up to help eliminate the quirks. Lets see in the next few years. I want them to deliver on what I bought into a level 5 fully self driving model 3 that is safer than a human using advanced sensors as it says even on the Tin.

I do love the drive.

No...no.....- you weren't sold FSD software

Did you expect your car act like it had FSD software in your video?

You have AP software.

Did AP's software act the way they described it would?

The computer is presumed to eventually be capable of more autonomous driving. It does not currently have that capability. What it does have presently is explicitly and clearly enumerated. Tesla cannot be faulted for selective literacy on the part of its consumers.

As stated full self driving capability is level 5 Autonomy where the car can drive itself. Its the goal and it is also stated that my model 3 is FSD capable.
No...no.....- you weren't sold FSD software

Did you expect your car act like it had FSD software in your video?

You have AP software.

Did AP's software act the way they described it would?

I already covered this to no answer would having FSD have stopped the car from moving over the line? I do not think so. So it makes no difference my car tried to change lanes on its own having FSD or not. Why are we even calling it FSD when the car cant even do that yet.

As stated full self driving capability is level 5 Autonomy where the car can drive itself. Its the goal and it is also stated that my model 3 is FSD capable.

I already covered this to no answer would having FSD have stopped the car from moving over the line? I do not think so. So it makes no difference my car tried to change lanes on its own having FSD or not. Why are we even calling it FSD when the car cant even do that yet.

It doesn't matter if FSD would or wouldn't have helped.. Stop bringing up FSD - I agree.

You said that you didn't get what you paid for.

Did AP work as it was described. - since that's what you have purchased.

You have never answered that question.

It doesn't matter if FSD would or wouldn't have helped. You are correct. Stop bringing up FSD.

You said that you didn't get what you paid for. So a discussion about FSD is off the table.

Did AP work as it was described. - since that's what you have purchased.

You have never answered that question.

Lol you lost on all accounts about what FSD even is. Now you are trying to question if my car is sold with the ability to become level 5 FSD then yes it is. It has all the hardware any other new Tesla has and I can use it when I wish. Look at my video that is the safe part of AP as advertised is it?

Lol you lost on all accounts about what FSD even is. Now you are trying to question if my car is sold with the ability to become level 5 FSD then yes it is. It has all the hardware any other new Tesla has and I can use it when I wish. Look at my video that is the safe part of AP as advertised is it?

FSD discussion is gone.

YOU said. I didn't get what I paid for.

What didn't you get?

Answer that question.

Did you buy FSD prior to March 2019?

Because if not, that's not at all what Tesla defined as the promised features of FSD as already mentioned by another poster-

This is what Tesla offers you when you are looking at Full Self-Driving Capability:

View attachment 512112

I don't see how this is in any way unclear or presents anything that could be confused with Level 5 autonomy.

Yes and there is nothing to say they will not. In fact they have been upgrading older hardware for new as required. May that go on and if my model 3 does eventually require a LIDAR retro fit I will be in line with you all for this free update. OK that's a joke!

Again unless you bought before 3/19 you're unlikely to see any further upgrades as the only things they "owe" you are "reacts to lights and stop signs" and essentially the in-city version of Level 2 Nav-on-AP.

Certainly they're likely hoping, and even expecting, to bring you more than that- but those are the only things actually promised in what you purchased.

(If you purchased prior to the FSD redefinition that's a whole other story of course)

Last edited:
0629B205-3A3C-499B-92DC-51439D1EAF20.png

Which level is Full? So where did I go wrong with the automotive term “Full Self Driving”?