Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 backed out parking space by itself without any instruction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I belong to a laser forum where only owners can post, There is a multiple thousand $ buy-in to own one so zero trolls.
That has proven to be a remarkably effective filter to prevent any fool from wasting our time.

coolstorybra.jpg

my car backed out parking space and stopped in the middle of drive way while I was working inside a building's basement where my cellphone had no signals. I was not even holding my cell phone.

On long drives, when I put it on auto-nav, my Model-3 sings me a lullaby to help me sleep through out the journey while it drives to my destination and just before arriving it has a hot cup of coffee ready.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: VT_EE and C141medic
Open your minds to the possibilities. I once returned to my 2015 Model S, which had a very simple version of summon, and it had moved partially out of the parking spot on its own. My best guess is that I had an unusual instance of "pocket dial" in which the pressures on my phone brought me into the summon mode (the Tesla App was likely already open) and pressures either on the FOB or the screen told the S that it was being commanded to move.

Most of us have done pocket dials before and called people on our cell phones without trying. I disabled summon and it never happened again. I also disabled my iphone's auto-on feature.

Who are all these people that join the forum, make one post with some ridiculous nonsense and then never reappear? It seems to be happening on a daily basis now.

They're testing the waters on the mechanism that turns TMC posts into clickbait Electrek headlines which then propogate out to real media. Happens a lot. Likely we've already been duped by more sophisticated ones, this just happens to be laughably bad effort.

Reactions: smatthew
Open your minds to the possibilities. I once returned to my 2015 Model S, which had a very simple version of summon, and it had moved partially out of the parking spot on its own. My best guess is that I had an unusual instance of "pocket dial" in which the pressures on my phone brought me into the summon mode (the Tesla App was likely already open) and pressures either on the FOB or the screen told the S that it was being commanded to move.

Most of us have done pocket dials before and called people on our cell phones without trying. I disabled summon and it never happened again. I also disabled my iphone's auto-on feature.
Anything is possible but the OP commented he didn’t touch his cellphone and had no signal, so I’d think that it’s not plausible. I don’t have the keyfob but would something like that be possible with an inadvertent press on the fob?

Anything is possible but the OP commented he didn’t touch his cellphone and had no signal, so I’d think that it’s not plausible. I don’t have the keyfob but would something like that be possible with an inadvertent press on the fob?

Yes, the FOB by itself could have done it. If the center of the FOB was squeezed long enough to activate summon and then the pressure changed to the front or back (normally frunk or trunk) buttons, the summon feature could be activated. I would need to be relatively close for the activation to be done with the FOB, but I remember seeing lights on with the car, and so I was close when it happened.