Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Battery Details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be interesting to see real world sub zero (-1F and below) Model 3 testing I hope I get some good data before next year when I palace my order as it will determine if I need the LR or SR battery. I think if it can stay below 300 WH/mile average on a 80 mile drive (level ground highway speed sub zero) the SR will work for us... I hope it does would like to save the $9k. ( :

Not being an engineer type, it seems like the reaction to Tesla's new battery heating scheme from folks that understand this stuff is "huh... interesting". Is that accurate? Is it too early to tell if this is a stroke of genius or an annoying cost cutting measure?

With a heat pump you make one place colder and therefore heat something else up. So you are shifting heat from one place to another and focus it there. Resistive heating just heats something up.

So the difference between a heat pump and resistive heating is, that a heat pump only needs to overcome the entropy, but resistive heating really needs all the energy to heat up.
Yes. I know that. But nothing in Elektrecks article indicates, that Model 3 would have a heat pump.

Am concerned about components being included in battery pack. Have read about chargers going bad, soul that mean replacing the pack or increased cost of replacing charger that's inside the pack? Hopefully decreasing price of pack doesn't result in increased maintenance

The charger area of the battery pack can still be accessed under the rear seat. See High Voltage disconnect thread.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're also removing #161 (heater). That loop (#107) is the cabin heating / cooling loop, and the heater there is to provide cabin heating, since relying on the battery heater (#143) would be A) too slow, and B) potentially require heating the pack too much. But now that the motor loop (#101) is acting as a high-power heater, they shouldn't need the heater #161.

In the High voltage disconnect manual it shows the PTC Heater for the cabin.

"Even when parked, Tesla’s software can send a request to the powertrain inverter to start powering up and pass the appropriate currents to the motor in order to produce enough heat to warm the cells – all while not producing any torque so the Model 3 doesn’t move."

This is not a heat pump.

It will be interesting to see real world sub zero (-1F and below) Model 3 testing I hope I get some good data before next year when I palace my order as it will determine if I need the LR or SR battery. I think if it can stay below 300 WH/mile average on a 80 mile drive (level ground highway speed sub zero) the SR will work for us... I hope it does would like to save the $9k. ( :

You are talking about 160 miles round trip? My wife needs to make it 140 mile round trip but we have one or two winter seasons to find out people's experiences with the SR. :)

Not being an engineer type, it seems like the reaction to Tesla's new battery heating scheme from folks that understand this stuff is "huh... interesting". Is that accurate? Is it too early to tell if this is a stroke of genius or an annoying cost cutting measure?

It is almost certainly an annoying cost cutting measure. How annoying is unknown and probably depends on where you live.

People need to understand that the Model 3 is a CHEAPER CAR, not a better one. Tesla pulled out all the stops they could find to DECREASE MANUFACTURING COST. Remember that this car is supposed to compete with a Bolt and the cheapest cars of the luxury brands.

I would actually have been shocked if the cells were better than the existing Model S/X cells in terms of anything other than cost, since cost reduction was the whole point of the new cells. Remember that Tesla was able to create an awesome sports car in the Roadster 8 years ago with crappier cell technology than what the S/X currently uses. Tesla does not need to create higher performance cells. They need and needed to create cheaper ones.

The Model 3 will still be an awesome car for its price point.

As per the patent diagram, the motor loop (#101) is directly connected when the valves are open to the cabin loop (#107). However, normally when you're running the motor efficiently, you've got a long wait for the motor loop to heat up. With M3 deliberately wasting as much energy as possible, the motor loop should heat up a literal order of magnitude faster.

Dont you want to also cool the motors and wouldnt this system also have the advantage of helping cool the motors as they heat up?

On a side note, I believe that the Jaguar I-Pace does the same exact thing. You would have to search and find the video, but where harvesting heat from the motors for the cabin, I dont recall if they where doing the same for the battery, but it would make sense as that would be closer to the motors.

As I understand it, instead of heating the battery directly, they are going to heat up the motor first, and then use heat from the motor to warm the battery. So it will be slower to warm up the battery and be less efficient.

So lower cost but also worse performance.

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
  • Informative
Reactions: bro1999
None of us knows if the new method is better or worse than the one used on S and X.
But what exactly in Tesla's culture and history leads you to believe they will move to a less efficient heating method for the pack?
Remember Elon said on the last CC that they have money set aside to bring all models up to the current tech level.
I take that statement as bringing S and X up to the current Model 3 tech. Model 3 may be cheaper than S and X but the tech is always evolving.
There is a reason for example the Semi revealed next month uses Model 3 motors and not Model S motors.

Reactions: landis and GSP
...and not plugged in.

If left outdoor by mistake, what are the chances the car is plugged in? I haven't installed a charger on my driveway. :)

How far a cord can the chargers come with anyway since even 110V seems to be enough for the S or X?

I doubt my non-insulated garage will go as low as -22F in the winter so it's really those people who get stranded on the road and can't get access to a charger. No sure what the likelihood of warranty voiding is if the car can be plugged into a 110V socket using maybe an 8-10 gauge cord.

I don't own a BEV so I haven't looked into the charging details.

Last edited:
You are talking about 160 miles round trip? My wife needs to make it 140 mile round trip but we have one or two winter seasons to find out people's experiences with the SR. :)
Yes first leg would be preheated car plugged in, trip back would be cold soaked car no plug supercharger on the way is doable but inconvenient and slightly out of the way. (Would add 20 miles + charge time)

Reactions: internalaudit
So the Model 3 doesn't have a dedicated battery heater? Is that the tl;dr recap? If that's true, what happens when someone in MN leaves their Model 3 outside unplugged during one of those -40F degree nights?
According to Electrek, car uses electric motor to create heat and warm up the battery. But I can't see what is the rationale, as weight and cost savings must be minimal.