Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Battery size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will have to see what the base range is and how much battery upgrades cost before I can make a decision. All I'm saying is that I hope the range is better than 215 or 220. If it is I probably won't get a bigger battery and will spend the money on some other option.

Indeed. I have to think that if the range is 220, I'll probably get 200 out of the battery with the way I drive. During the winter I'll probably be lucky to get 150. Not a problem at all on my daily commute, or evening driving, but definitely an issue if I have to drive across the country to visit a customer (I don't want to have to SC all the time).

if base range is as advertised I'll get the next battery size up. It all depends on what the size/range comparisons are.
Having a larger battery that you regularly use less of is quite a lot better than a battery that is closer to your current needs.
The larger battery will degrade quite a lot slower as well.
In practice 220 miles is enough for 70% of my driving needs. Getting around 270-300 gets me the remaining 20%, the superchargers get that last 10% and provide the tipping point that pushes me to Tesla instead of any other 200 mile EV.

Another thing to remember is that all of us will probably only charge the battery to 80%, 85% to guard against degradation and will only charge to 100% on very rare occasions... so 220 miles is actually going to be a lot lower if we're going 80% with real world driving.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
Another thing to remember is that all of us will probably only charge the battery to 80%, 85% to guard against degradation and will only charge to 100% on very rare occasions... so 220 miles is actually going to be a lot lower if we're going 80% with real world driving.

potentially true....but there IS a twist here.

What if the base model comes with a 55kWh battery, which is really a 65kWh battery software-locked? As we've seen on the S and X with software-locked packs, you can charge to "100%" without fear of degradation, because of the other ~10kWh that is unusable to you (unless you pay for the upgrade).

Guys.....Elon is as much a showman as he is a businessman.

He held his cards close to the vest and called....GM laid their cards down on the Bolt and came up with 238 miles.

You might be new here if you think the base Model 3 will still have a range of "only" 215 miles when it hits Production.
I agree but for a different reason, not showmanship. He doesn't want to Osborn MS-MX sales.

He clearly stated that they plan to or hope to have a bigger minimum range than the number he gave.

For the same reason they waited until they introduced AP 2 hardware on the MS-MX before announcing it on the M3. Does anyone believe that they didn't know that they were going to sell the M3 with FSD hardware when they announced the M3?

They will either wait for the final reveal to announce any features that have the potential to Osborn MS-MX sales, or possibly (HUD-VR) announce them for the MS-MX at the same time. So they will not reveal all the features and specifications at the part three reveal.

Last edited:
potentially true....but there IS a twist here.

What if the base model comes with a 55kWh battery, which is really a 65kWh battery software-locked? As we've seen on the S and X with software-locked packs, you can charge to "100%" without fear of degradation, because of the other ~10kWh that is unusable to you (unless you pay for the upgrade).

Why would they waste 10kwh of 2170 cells? Just so people can charge to 100% daily? Tesla still sends out a reminder not to do that that you must acknowledge before it will charge to 100%. Don't expect the 3 to somehow be the car of your dreams at half the price of an S. I have a reservation for the 3 but I also understand in this world you get what you pay for. A 55kwh battery will be more than enough for 95% of drivers. I know, I used a 24kwh battery for 3 years without issue.

Reactions: Falkirk
Why would they waste 10kwh of 2170 cells? Just so people can charge to 100% daily? Tesla still sends out a reminder not to do that that you must acknowledge before it will charge to 100%.

Don't expect the 3 to somehow be the car of your dreams at half the price of an S. I have a reservation for the 3 but I also understand in this world you get what you pay for.
I agree that Tesla is not going to produce the base M3 with additional free battery capacity. The reason they did that recently was demand vs price. They are not going to have any similar demand issues with the M3.

Otoh the M3 will be somewhat close to the current MS-MX in features at a much lower price.

Otoh the M3 will be somewhat close to the current MS-MX in features at a much lower price.

I just don't see it. The current MS-MX likely won't be changing that much in a year. Everyone seems convinced the 3 can be feature parity with the S but Tesla is trying to make money not subsidize people into a BEV. My experience with Tesla indicates that they will deliver less than people expect but that there will be 300k people that want a 3 anyways because its still better than anything else at that price point. Just don't get your hopes up too much because Tesla is great at dashing them without warning or communication.

Guys.....Elon is as much a showman as he is a businessman.

He held his cards close to the vest and called....GM laid their cards down on the Bolt and came up with 238 miles.

You might be new here if you think the base Model 3 will still have a range of "only" 215 miles when it hits Production.
You have some points here, but on the other hand - no one has ever been in doubt that Model 3 with the biggest battery would have a longer range then 238 EPA miles?

No, I do not believe that Model 3 with the base battery will have only 215 EPA miles of range, but it may still be under 238 EPA miles... Before the unveiling I guessed a range in about 225-230 miles if I remember correct. And I still think that is a realistic range for this car. But yes, GM has "laid their cards down", and it may inspire Tesla to go just i little bit longer. I would love it to be 239 EPA miles ;)

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
dont forget that Tesla still have the supercharger network, so they can market a 215 mile car in conjunction with superchargers built in a true network. Something that no other EV manufacturer can do.
For the Bolt, GM give you a Chargepoint card. Of course you still have to register and pay for it yourself and it isn't a network, instead just clumps of disconnected mostly L2 chargers.
I know which one I'd rather have

I'm not.

You said you wanted 250 miles of range. And I said, "If the base only comes in at 220 miles, is that 30 miles truly a gamechanger, especially when it'd only be 20ish miles in the winter?"

Yeah, it might be. The only long trip we take is 170 miles or so. 200 mile winter range might mean no stop on that trip, 180 winter range would mean a stop. 20 miles can make a difference.

You said something about "spending thousands of dollars for 20 extra miles of range". Not sure where you got that.