Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Bluetooth Proximity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Expecting my Model 3 in the next month or so. Moving into a new apartment largely to accommodate home charging needs. One small concern.

My parking spot is located right outside my living room window. Do we know the proximity on the bluetooth range for unlocking a Model 3? Should I be concerned that my car will remain unlocked at all times when I'm sitting at home, or is there some setting that can affect that potential issue?

Reactions: Big-T
As I've said earlier, make the keycard your primary key, and the phone secondary. Just put the keycard in a holder and hang it on your key ring. Old school, yes, but it works. Configure the phone, but leave it disabled on the phone's side, so that if you lose the key, you can enable and use the phone instead.

Because the car can't determine intent (can't read your mind), the overly simplistic use of the phone with the unlock breaks a lot of long-standing principles that have been put there for the safety of both ourselves and our property. There were some problems with the MS/X fob in this regard, but the Model 3 makes it even worse.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
I hope a coming update fixes what seems to be an overly sensitive bluetooth phone key. I'm in my home office next to the garage. My desk, if measured through the wall, is about 15 feet from the car. I've turned off "walk up unlock" and yet I still hear the car waking up over a dozen times a day! (Through the wall I can hear a loud "click-click..... thud" whenever it goes to sleep, same thing you can hear at about 1:40 in this video here:
)

Anyone else finding the car this sensitive? (As I typed this message I heard the thud two different times!)

Sure I can turn off bluetooth on my phone, but I use that for a variety of bluetooth devices, so it's not feasible.

I sure hope I don't need to go to insane lengths like painting the wall with some sort of Faraday paint.

Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
I have the same issue. The key card is 3 feet away from door but the car will react (unlock or lock) and my phone is in the house?
Telsa Service Center was arguing with me that its impossible for this to happen

Two questions. You say the phone is in the house, but you don't say how far away that it, and when you say lock and unlock I assume you see the mirrors folding and unfolding.

To answer your question.

Phone is 40 ft away in a draw. And yes the mirror would fold and unfold along with lights will flash once. You also will hear the click click clunk sound.

My clear bra installer had to leave a door open so he could make cuts on the mirror and know the car would not fold the mirrors while he was working.

Does this ever result in any delay between when you press in on the handle and when the door unlocks/opens vs when "Walk Up Unlock" is enabled?
Not in my experience, no. One thing that is a bit strange is that if you have more than one Tesla and the Model 3 isn't currently selected in the app, the car does not respond. So a good way to "disable" the bluetooth key if you don't want to flat out turn off bluetooth on your phone. Took me awhile to figure out what was going on the first time though.

• Informative
Reactions: Richk
Not in my experience, no. One thing that is a bit strange is that if you have more than one Tesla and the Model 3 isn't currently selected in the app, the car does not respond. So a good way to "disable" the bluetooth key if you don't want to flat out turn off bluetooth on your phone. Took me awhile to figure out what was going on the first time though.
Seems like simple button in the app to disable the Model 3 key would be very helpful (for those without another Tesla).

Wow - I'm really surprised about all this. Having managed some software development with Bluetooth stacks, I can say with certainty that this is something that Tesla can and should resolve with OTA software updates.

The auto-unlock range is not only something that they can control via software, but something that they could also make user-configurable. I believe they should do this.

I would like to see proximity options for "near", "far" and "custom", with a means of the user being able to stand in a spot and set that distance. By distance, it's really RSSI strength, IIRC, and that will vary by orientation around the car and all nearby obstructions... The "custom" proximity configuration would instruct the user to stand at an unobstructed point on the driver side of the car, ensuring that the "custom" proximity setting would be the closest point of approach to the vehicle, and effectively eliminate excessive unlock detections from other angles of approach. I dunno - just a thot.

I also think that everyone who's experiencing this problem should communicate it to Tesla, through Service Center calls, emails or even Tweets to Elon. "The squeaky wheel get's the grease" as they say.

I can't wait for my M3. Hopefully this problem is resolved before I get mine!

Wow - I'm really surprised about all this. Having managed some software development with Bluetooth stacks, I can say with certainty that this is something that Tesla can and should resolve with OTA software updates.

The auto-unlock range is not only something that they can control via software, but something that they could also make user-configurable. I believe they should do this.

I would like to see proximity options for "near", "far" and "custom", with a means of the user being able to stand in a spot and set that distance. By distance, it's really RSSI strength, IIRC, and that will vary by orientation around the car and all nearby obstructions... The "custom" proximity configuration would instruct the user to stand at an unobstructed point on the driver side of the car, ensuring that the "custom" proximity setting would be the closest point of approach to the vehicle, and effectively eliminate excessive unlock detections from other angles of approach. I dunno - just a thot.

I also think that everyone who's experiencing this problem should communicate it to Tesla, through Service Center calls, emails or even Tweets to Elon. "The squeaky wheel get's the grease" as they say.

I can't wait for my M3. Hopefully this problem is resolved before I get mine!
All good points, but for the record, I have no issue with the way it currently is and all is working well for me.

Does this ever result in any delay between when you press in on the handle and when the door unlocks/opens vs when "Walk Up Unlock" is enabled?

I second this. I haven’t had any problem either. If you have two phones (my wife and I). Either turn off Bluetooth or change the primary car on your tesla app. The car would immediately unlock as soon as your press the handle bar.

Auto unlock was driving me crazy as it keeps opening and closing whenever I’m near the car.

Our car right now is at 2017.48.30 and I just asked service center to force update the latest firmware. We shall see after we finished installing the update.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks