Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Body Line Still in Development in Detroit - Reports (incl. WSJ)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For a moment I was thinking that Tesla decided to redesign the Model 3:

Elon Musk says Tesla will fix what critics call the Model 3’s ‘biggest design fail’

"Many people think the Model 3 would be better as a hatchback instead of sedan.
Top Speed has created a digital concept of what such a car might look like."

Model-3-hatchback-concept.jpg
I love it. Maybe Tesla can flip the glass in the car and give the viewing experience to the driver.....as they did in the Model X.

Quarter report Q3 2016:
completed production line layouts, starting of installation of new body welding and final assembly lines soon
So they started installing the welding line end of 2016.
The wsj report must be talking about a second line for 2018.
Well we will see the next months how fast Tesla can increase their production capacity.

That isn’t proof, of course. That shows one station. And if you read Tesla’s statement, Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk shares images of the production line, they don’t explicitly deny the statement that there was at least one hand built welding station in September. As I wrote, and Tesla itself acknowledges in their statement, their production lines evolve over time and initially include many hand built steps that eventually turn into automated steps. The WSJ is sticking to its story that as of September there were manual welding stations for Model 3. Tesla’s statement wasn’t Elon’s usual specific rebuttle, it was instead a vague corporate non-denial denial.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
That isn’t proof, of course. That shows one station. And if you read Tesla’s statement, Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk shares images of the production line, they don’t explicitly deny the statement that there was at least one hand built welding station in September. As I wrote, and Tesla itself acknowledges in their statement, their production lines evolve over time and initially include many hand built steps that eventually turn into automated steps. The WSJ is sticking to its story that as of September there were manual welding stations for Model 3. Tesla’s statement wasn’t Elon’s usual specific rebuttle, it was instead a vague corporate non-denial denial.

It's quite possible that Tesla hadn't fully automated some steps in September. After all, we know that they didn't manage to scale production in September (I haven't been able to actually read the WSJ paywall article).

However, the WSJ article is entirely different that the FUD article this thread was started for. That article claims that until the pilot line they are referring to is finished sometime in 2018 it is "likely that Tesla is hand-building Model 3 using prototype tooling". If that were true Tesla would have to know that they wouldn't scale production until into 2018 and the statements over the last few months would amount to fraud.

Personally, I am glad to have my car delayed if it helps people who are in an emergency without electricity, water, etc.

Thank you kindly.

If that's your criteria then you'll never get your car. There are always people that need help with essentials more than you need a new car. If Tesla is not able to do both, at the same time, they should be responsible to their shareholders and get the product out that will turn a profit and give what help they can to PR that doesn't bite into that.

That is unless someone decided that Tesla is a charity and it's going to be run that way.

People can insist I'm cynical but I'm pretty sure that while Tesla does want to help PR the entire thing with helping there is 50% altruism and 50% public relations stunt.

From the article quoted by OP:

"Presumably the body line in development by Thai Summit is one of these later versions of the Model 3 production system"

"In the absence of real information from Tesla, it’s all but impossible to know for sure if the automaker is in the earliest stages of bringing a “real” production system online, or if it will simply hand-build Model 3 using prototyping tooling until this pilot line is complete and installed in Fremont. "

So article is basically a speculation.