Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Broken Power Window Switch Button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@zyzzxander Mobile Service isn’t available in your area? That seems odd. I mean, you’re located in between Salt Lake and Vegas and several hours away from each, seems like a location made for a Ranger. Just curious, has Tesla said why they won’t send a Ranger your way?

Either way good luck with the window fix and please update this thread when you resolve. As I get closer and closer to 100k miles I know I’ll start seeing some of these types of issues and want to DIY as many as possible.

@zyzzxander Mobile Service isn’t available in your area? That seems odd. I mean, you’re located in between Salt Lake and Vegas and several hours away from each, seems like a location made for a Ranger. Just curious, has Tesla said why they won’t send a Ranger your way?

Either way good luck with the window fix and please update this thread when you resolve. As I get closer and closer to 100k miles I know I’ll start seeing some of these types of issues and want to DIY as many as possible.

I tried to schedule a service appointment in my app, and it said something about needing to take it in due to mobile service being unavailable to me. I'm pretty used to that sort of thing. I live in a *very* small town. Mail takes an extra day, etc.

I'll keep you posted on the window fix! Thanks for the kind words.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
As promised, since I couldn't find one, I made a YouTube video about how to replace the switch assembly. Here it is:

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

One thing I'm curious about since you now have your old switch assembly out of the car... Does it look like there would be any way to remove one of the "good" plastic switch buttons (or whatever they're called) without damaging them?

I ask because if that would be possible, then it would allow someone to repair a broken button without having to open up the door panel and replace the whole switch assembly. But it kinda looks like getting one out without damaging something would be tricky.

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

One thing I'm curious about since you now have your old switch assembly out of the car... Does it look like there would be any way to remove one of the "good" plastic switch buttons (or whatever they're called) without damaging them?

I ask because if that would be possible, then it would allow someone to repair a broken button without having to open up the door panel and replace the whole switch assembly. But it kinda looks like getting one out without damaging something would be tricky.

I had wondered the same thing. They seem pretty easy to pop out, but they're not symmetrical, so you'd have to replace a front passenger-side button with another front passenger side button if that makes sense.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
SOP is for the Service Center to issue an itemized "bill" with costs involved in case it turns out the problem is not covered by warranty. If we assume that your car is still covered (within time and distance parameters AND you didn't do anything out of the ordinary when it broke), then the repair will be done and you will not be charged. You do NOT have to "sign" and return the billing statement in order for the work to proceed.

Man, worst case, you can Zelle me the money, I'll pick it up and sent it your way. DM me your email and I'll send you the replacement instructions

Now THAT is what theTesla Family is all about.

Power was out for an extended time near me. Someone I did not know had heard at the local bar that I had a Tesla Wall Charger, called me, and asked if he could have a sip, as he couldn't make it to the nearest charger. Gave him the code, he managed to get to my place and filled it up as I was at work. I found a sixpack of my favorite on my porch the next day.

Family!

just got my estimate in the app for my appointment monday...elon can get f***ed. $257? are you kidding me?

they want $100 just to "diagnose the problem." the damn switch is broken. that's the f***ing problem.

pardon my french, but i'm really annoyed at the moment. a $257 estimate for replacing a $40 part is absurd.

Auto repairs can be crazy expensive

Some years ago the little LCD clock on the dash of my Subaru Forester failed
The dealer quoted $400 to repair it.
I declined, of course.

A year later, when making unrelated repairs, the same dealer replaced the clock at no charge, as a courtesy.

Auto repairs can be crazy expensive

Some years ago the little LCD clock on the dash of my Subaru Forester failed
The dealer quoted $400 to repair it.
I declined, of course.

A year later, when making unrelated repairs, the same dealer replaced the clock at no charge, as a courtesy.

there is a difference between expensive and absurd.

$157 i would consider reasonable for saving me the hassle of taking the door panel off and replacing the switch.

$100 extra just to "diagnose the issue?" when the issue is obviously that the damn switch is broken? no.

Reactions: drdumont
there is a difference between expensive and absurd.

$157 i would consider reasonable for saving me the hassle of taking the door panel off and replacing the switch.

$100 extra just to "diagnose the issue?" when the issue is obviously that the damn switch is broken? no.
Sounds like you'll be better off doing your own repairs then. Auto repairs from a "dealership" have ALWAYS been expensive and ALWAYS will be. I'm not sure if Tesla is any different, but from ICE dealerships you can expect 500% - 1000% mark up.