Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I am.
Are you going to have to change your name? :)

I also really, REALLY want a steering wheel heater. Tesla and their genius California engineers don't realize you can have the cabin a lot colder if you only heat the "contact" surfaces - seats, steering wheel. This DIRECTLY impacts range and would massively help their cold-weather markets. To not have that option - even in a "premium" upgrades package is pathetic. If my car is cold soaked and I have a half hour commute home, I don't get hot air for at least 5 minutes of highway driving, and my steering wheel is still frozen (and now my hands, too) by the time I get home.

Reactions: dhanson865
If my car is cold soaked and I have a half hour commute home, I don't get hot air for at least 5 minutes of highway driving, and my steering wheel is still frozen (and now my hands, too) by the time I get home.

I just tap "climate" on the app about 5 - 10 minutes before I leave and the car is nice and toasty even before I go to drive anywhere.

Tesla and their genius California engineers don't realize you can have the cabin a lot colder if you only heat the "contact" surfaces - seats, steering wheel.

Then I guess I better not turn on the rear heated seats in my S that I've had back there for 4 years now, and that my kids have used a lot, since those Tesla Engineers know nothing about them... :rolleyes:

People need to chill out -- or rather not worry about being too chilly in their 3 -- no one has one in Canada yet people still complain. There's no issue in my mind that with AWD for Canada will come activation of the rear heated seats, added heated steering wheel and windshield wipers -- all part of the cold weather package -- and all for an additional fee that everyone can complain about as being far too high. That's my prediction.

The post about buying a Leaf instead of a 3 for a heated steering wheel sure made me laugh. I guess you need to own a Leaf and Tesla to know how foolish that sounds. I'd put my hands in cold water every day just to be able to drive a 3 instead of a Leaf, and I do like our Leaf. But it is a Leaf.

It is funny about some apparently “little” things, we are all different and to some people they are just such a convenience that really want them. I met a woman with Raynaud’s Syndrome (hands always cold from poor circulation) and asked her if she had ever used heated steering wheel. I bet there would be someone who would really want one once she tried it.

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
I am actually quite glad that there is the delay in getting the Model 3 to Canada. Means that a lot of the little kinks and upgrades will be worked out before we get them. Just go to the Model 3 area of this forum and read it. Especially worried about the cold weather performance, really want any problems there identified and fixed. Just hope enough Americans from northern states get their cars before winter is over. With ice cars I never bought a new model but waited at least a year to see if there were major flaws.

Reactions: Falkirk and doubeld
I am actually quite glad that there is the delay in getting the Model 3 to Canada. Means that a lot of the little kinks and upgrades will be worked out before we get them. Just go to the Model 3 area of this forum and read it. Especially worried about the cold weather performance, really want any problems there identified and fixed. Just hope enough Americans from northern states get their cars before winter is over. With ice cars I never bought a new model but waited at least a year to see if there were major flaws.

Yep, that goes without saying. The only problem most people fall into is the government incentive. Everyone wants to get in before the incentives disappear. Making everyone jump on board at first year production cars.

My version of the Miata appeared in 2006. I didn't get one till they introduced the hardtop in 2008. The car had its kinks worked out by then and the top has worked flawlessly for over 10yrs. With no maintenance on it.

The 3 has officially debuted last year. By the time Canadians get it, alot of its kinks would have been worked out. Realistically by the time non-tesla owners start receiving theirs, it'll be 2019. 2yrs should be more than enough to get things sorted with the 3 and you'll have a fairly reliable EV vehicle.

If my car is cold soaked and I have a half hour commute home, I don't get hot air for at least 5 minutes of highway driving, and my steering wheel is still frozen (and now my hands, too) by the time I get home.
And that is why you need to get an EV! Just spark up that App and warm up the cabin before you depart. No more waiting for the engine block to warm up while you drive.
I find that most of the time if its really cold I have to run window defrost just to see out the window. So it would be quite rare to be able to keep the cabin cold and just rely on the heated seat and steering wheel.

Reactions: Canuck
Yep, that goes without saying. The only problem most people fall into is the government incentive. Everyone wants to get in before the incentives disappear. Making everyone jump on board at first year production cars.

My version of the Miata appeared in 2006. I didn't get one till they introduced the hardtop in 2008. The car had its kinks worked out by then and the top has worked flawlessly for over 10yrs. With no maintenance on it.

The 3 has officially debuted last year. By the time Canadians get it, alot of its kinks would have been worked out. Realistically by the time non-tesla owners start receiving theirs, it'll be 2019. 2yrs should be more than enough to get things sorted with the 3 and you'll have a fairly reliable EV vehicle.

I am non owner and I also reserved late In Jan 2017. My Tesla account also shows Mid 2018 for LR and AWD. I think part of the reason is Tesla wants to squeeze all high end orders into incentives before it go away.

• Informative
I just tap "climate" on the app about 5 - 10 minutes before I leave and the car is nice and toasty even before I go to drive anywhere.

Then I guess I better not turn on the rear heated seats in my S that I've had back there for 4 years now, and that my kids have used a lot, since those Tesla Engineers know nothing about them... :rolleyes:

People need to chill out -- or rather not worry about being too chilly in their 3 -- no one has one in Canada yet people still complain. There's no issue in my mind that with AWD for Canada will come activation of the rear heated seats, added heated steering wheel and windshield wipers -- all part of the cold weather package -- and all for an additional fee that everyone can complain about as being far too high. That's my prediction.

The post about buying a Leaf instead of a 3 for a heated steering wheel sure made me laugh. I guess you need to own a Leaf and Tesla to know how foolish that sounds. I'd put my hands in cold water every day just to be able to drive a 3 instead of a Leaf, and I do like our Leaf. But it is a Leaf.

Good morning.

Yah that was me making that comment about the heated steering wheel. I like Tesla’s and every one I have driven has been a joy to drive. But it is still just a car and it has to be suitable to the individual. I don’t mind paying a little more for a Tesla but zero to 60 times of 4.4 seconds and handling like a cat on carpet no longer mean a lot to me. I like the tech and I like the supercharger network. But it has to have certain things otherwise the extra money is not worth it. I don’t need 300 miles of range, 200 is fine. I prefer a hatchback but really like the model 3’s sport sedan look. Lots of pros and cons. The model 3 is not a slam dunk and the long range Leaf is real competition when the lower price is factored in. And yes, a heated steering wheel and heated seats are important to us. I don’t have to make a decision for a couple years. We’ll see how it washes out. Until then I remain a huge Tesla fan and supporter.

Now I have to go pre-warm my Leaf cause it’s frickin cold here.

Cheers.

John.

Last edited:
  • Funny
0E898F8D-6E74-4A8B-B9C2-00C8C69019B1.jpeg
C1EB1636-9686-4AF2-BAC7-D274100B41C9.jpeg
Good morning.

Yah that was me making that comment about the heated steering wheel. I like Tesla’s and every one I have driven has been a joy to drive. But it is still just a car and it hasn’t to be suitable to the individual. I don’t mind paying a little more for a Tesla but zero to 60 times of 4.4 seconds and handling like a cat on carpet no longer mean a lot to me. I like the tech and I like the supercharger network. But it has to have certain things otherwise the extra money is not worth it. I don’t need 300 miles of range, 200 is fine. I prefer a hatchback but really like the model 3’s sport sedan look. Lots of pros and cons. The model 3 is not a slam dunk and the long range Leaf is real competition when the lower price is factored in. And yes, a heated steering wheel and heated seats are important to us. I don’t have to make a decision for a couple years. We’ll see how it washes out. Until then I remain a huge Tesla fan and supporter.

Now I have to go pre-warm my Leaf cause it’s frickin cold here.

Cheers.

John.

I am also a leaf owner. But Nissan move slow on LR makes me swich to model 3 definitely this time. Having said that new leaf look much nicer.

For those that think preheating the car is the solution to a cold steering wheel, ( @sitter_k @Lon12 @Canuck ) I ask you: Have you ever had a -20 cold soaked car and then tried to comfortably hold onto said cold steering wheel for a half an hour? Yes, I know a pre-heated cabin at +20 is great, but the core of the steering wheel is still at -17 degrees a half hour later.
I am probably borderline Raynauds so holding onto a freezing leather-wrapped metal steering wheel does not feel great for me in particular - I wear lined leather gloves while driving for probably 7 months of the year.

Sure, I'm being picky - and no it will not be a deciding factor on the car I buy, but this is the exact reason this feature was invented how many decades ago - and a prime example of what EVs should be doing to heat contact surfaces to enable a better experience that SAVES on expensive cabin heating energy.

In the end, we must wait to see what packages will come out in the next ~12 months, but I have my doubts they'll be changing up options packages in the first two years of production.
@Phillip L I agree - glad that most of the bugs should be worked out by the time we get them up here. I guess my expectations are high - I bought a brand new, first production batch Mitsubishi after a new model rollout back in 2007 and had zero problems with it. It came with heated seats and I only found out about that after delivery and was pleasantly surprised :)

For those that think preheating the car is the solution to a cold steering wheel, ( @sitter_k @Lon12 @Canuck ) I ask you: Have you ever had a -20 cold soaked car and then tried to comfortably hold onto said cold steering wheel for a half an hour?

Yes, quite a few times. It goes down to a lot colder at my cabin and my Tahoe Hybrid doesn't have a heated steering wheel. In both it, and my S, when I preheat (on my Tahoe I press the key remote to start and preheat) it blows on portions of the steering wheel and I hold onto the warm part until the rest warms up a short time later. I have the cold weather package in my S but the heated steering wheel wasn't available at that time.

I also lived 3 winters in Calgary in the late 80's when heated steering wheels were just a luxury in my mind.

but the core of the steering wheel is still at -17 degrees a half hour later.

I don't need the core to heat up, just the outside, since that is where I hold onto.

Again, however, your complaints are premature. I predict the heated steering wheel will be available when it comes to Canada. It will be about $800 (I also predict) to heat the back seats, steering wheel, and you'll get heaters (wires in the windshield) where the wipers rest.

That's just my prediction, of course. Only time will tell. You can go back to complaining now and eyeing those Leafs with the guaranteed heated steering wheel. ;)

I guess my expectations are high - I bought a brand new, first production batch Mitsubishi after a new model rollout back in 2007 and had zero problems with it. It came with heated seats and I only found out about that after delivery and was pleasantly surprised :)

Right, Mitsubishi is known to exceed expectations -- but not Tesla... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I am actually quite glad that there is the delay in getting the Model 3 to Canada. Means that a lot of the little kinks and upgrades will be worked out before we get them.

I'm not too concerned about working out kinks but the fact that AWD is not available will keep me from buying until it's available.

Just go to the Model 3 area of this forum and read it.

You will get a skewed view just looking at the comments section on a forum since few people who have no problems come and post "all is good - no problems."

Again, however, your complaints are premature. I predict the heated steering wheel will be available when it comes to Canada. It will be about $800 (I also predict) to heat the back seats, steering wheel, and you'll get heaters (wires in the windshield) where the wipers rest.

@Canuck The rear seats are already heated if you get the PUP. (They just haven't enabled the UI for them yet.)

So I doubt there will be changes to add just the heated steering wheel and wiper rest area anytime soon.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ZooSean
@Canuck The rear seats are already heated if you get the PUP. (They just haven't enabled the UI for them yet.)

Yes, I know that. That's been reported for some time now.

I also know Tesla needs cash very, very, badly. My guess is that activation will come with a fee which is why we have not seen them activated yet. That makes sense if we look at how Tesla charged for things in the past where the hardware showed up first -> AP, 40 -> 60, 60->75.

So I doubt there will be changes to add just the heated steering wheel and wiper rest area anytime soon.

We're on for a bet then. I say with AWD comes the heated seating wheel and wipers. Both cost peanuts and are easy mods (just a different steering wheel and windshield) but combine them with the back seat heaters already in place and send it up north and watch the cash for the AWD with the cold weather package roll in. This is Tesla's obvious plan in my view or we would see the rear heated seats in the UI now like I do in my S. Activate the back seats now (which is simple by way of software) and who will pay extra just for the wheel and windshield? I would -- for my wife whose hands are always cold -- but I can't see many others paying just for that and the windshield. But add the back heated seats and you'll see a ton more sales of the cold weather package. I think sometime in the future Tesla may activate the back seats for current owners for free -- but that won't happen until the cold weather package is established and sold separately for all new buyers, if it happens at all. It makes no sense otherwise, and explains why we don't see it activated now, at least to me.

Last edited: