Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Center Console USB-C

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cira

May 24, 2020
Arizona
I just had my new Model 3 delivered on Tuesday and I was pleasantly surprised to see one USB-C port (plus one USB-A) in the center console! Guess this confirms the news that this would be rolled out once production restarts.

Only downside is the USB hub I purchased from Taptes doesn’t work since it has two USB-A plugs on the back. Hopefully it’s updated soon!

Vc6x6Wj

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
Am about to take delivery in a couple weeks so I have some questions:

1. Are you talking about the port situation at the front, where you can plug in the dashcam flash drive?
2. Does it also come with a wireless charging pad?

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
I think the charger uses the normal USB port
Not based on this:
@ahuhu yes, the ports in the front of the center console.

And yes, came with the wireless charging pad which now only has one cable that plugs into the USB-C port.

This makes sense as USB-C has potentially way higher amperage capability for dual charging pads, assuming it has coils on both sides (and I imagine it does).

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
If I understand correctly, there is one USB C and one USB A in the center console. The USB C is occupied by the wireless charging port and the USB A can be used by either a storage device for Sentry Mode, Dashcam, etc., or for media storage that can be played by the audio system. But the A can't be used for both.

What about front-seat passengers who want to plug in to charge their phone or tablet?

While I'm at it, how many, if any, 12V outlets are there? And any 120V outlets?

If I understand correctly, there is one USB C and one USB A in the center console. The USB C is occupied by the wireless charging port and the USB A can be used by either a storage device for Sentry Mode, Dashcam, etc., or for media storage that can be played by the audio system. But the A can't be used for both.

What about front-seat passengers who want to plug in to charge their phone or tablet?

While I'm at it, how many, if any, 12V outlets are there? And any 120V outlets?

The wireless pad can charge 2 phones AFAIK.

You can also get a Navak splitter for the USB-A port- the 2nd gen will provide an SDcard slot for dashcam, a low-power USB-A port for a media storage key, and a 1.5A USB-A port for a wired charging cable if you want.

The center console has one 12V as well- the location honestly sucks on it though- should've been co-located with the USB ports.

No 120v outlets.

Reactions: Michelle_eriw
I took delivery of a 2020 model 3 long range on Saturday, but I was disappointed to discover it didn't come with wireless charging or USB-C ports. Says it was manufactured June 2020. Think it's worth complaining to the dealership? I'm wondering if they really sold me an earlier model
I just picked mine up today, and it didn't come with the USB-C and charger. It was a 1 Jun build, and they switched to the new USB config on 4 Jun. VIN 720xxx

I just had my new Model 3 delivered on Tuesday and I was pleasantly surprised to see one USB-C port (plus one USB-A) in the center console! Guess this confirms the news that this would be rolled out once production restarts.

Only downside is the USB hub I purchased from Taptes doesn’t work since it has two USB-A plugs on the back. Hopefully it’s updated soon!

Vc6x6Wj
I have had a Model Y on order since January, (AWD, LR, FSD, Red Exterior, White/Black Interior). Do the new Model 3's have the Rear Casting link in the Model Y? Someone told me that this has also ben incorporated into the Model 3.

So just our bad luck then? :( How is your car so far otherwise? I've got a pretty major squeaking sound happening coming from somewhere in the front drivers side corner
Doesn’t matter to me really. I ordered before anybody was even talking about the switch, so I cant gripe about not getting something I wasn’t expecting to get in the first place. I had already ordered a wireless pad and USB hub anyway. I’m not gonna worry about it. And sadly, I haven’t had a chance to drive it yet. It’s in Canada and I’m in the US for another couple weeks. My brother picked it up for me, and he says it’s pretty much perfect.

My iphone battery symbol turns white after a few seconds when I put it on the wireless charging pad in my new Model 3.
Shouldn't it stay green with lightning bolt if it is still charging?
If you see a lightning bolt icon, it is charging. If not, it is not charging. Try removing your case if you're having issues wireless charging, or any snap ring or other metalic items stuck to the back of the phone. Some cases don't work with wireless charging.

Reactions: SlimJim