Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Center Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm an early reservation holder and very much looking forward to being a Tesla owner. I love everything about the M3 except for the center display. I don't understand why the display wasn't integrated into the dash as in the other Tesla vehicles? In my opinion that looks much nicer. I'm also concerned that the center display on the M3 may impair visibility because it looks like it is placed high on the dash. I'm undecided about the lack of an instrument cluster as in the Model S and X. The deciding factor for me will be actually seeing the vehicle for myself and a test drive.

Tesla M3 is a game changer.....the cockpit sits much further forward, and has a much lower dash than a BMW 3 series by a huge margin. You can see the road much easier based on the viewing angles from the drivers seat. The center display will be way out of the way

You will be able to see MUCH MORE of the road than on any other on the market today. Get use to it, as it will be the future. You might also get use to a "frunk" which will be a standard feature on all future cars, oh and what about that stupid drive train bump in the back seat which kills the enjoyment of sitting in the back of any ICE car. Im sure you wont miss that either.

...impair visibility because it looks like it is placed high on the dash...

I think looking down is dangerous.

That includes looking downward to conventional position for instrument cluster for Model S and X as well. Choosing for a song in my thousands in multiple folders at my 17" display is dangerous too.

I think looking upward or at least to the level of windshield horizon is fine whether on the left or on the center.

A few companies had moved instrument cluster to central windshield horizon level for a few years already.

Below is Prius:

2017_Toyota_Prius_Prime_Premium_whiteint-1024x683.jpg

People actually like central at windshield horizon position very much because they don't have to look downward.

It's the next best without Head-Up-Display to make gazing downward unnecessary.

By the way, I think Tesla explained part of the reasons is cost already: Conventional Model S and X use 2 separate computers for 2 separate displays while Model 3 just combined them into one.

And I think we're all more used to glancing over to the center than we realize (Nav screens or Smartphones) -- it remains to be seen how the masses react, and will of course be a "preference" item for a while -- but my opinion is that it will not be a long term inhibitor to acceptance of this car. Quality & Reliabilty could be. (Note: I am long on $TSLA and a pre-reveal reservation for the M3.)

Reactions: mhan00
I'm an early reservation holder and very much looking forward to being a Tesla owner. I love everything about the M3 except for the center display. I don't understand why the display wasn't integrated into the dash as in the other Tesla vehicles? In my opinion that looks much nicer. I'm also concerned that the center display on the M3 may impair visibility because it looks like it is placed high on the dash. I'm undecided about the lack of an instrument cluster as in the Model S and X. The deciding factor for me will be actually seeing the vehicle for myself and a test drive.
Congratulations, you are the 1 millionth person to post about this topic! You win a lifetime supply of Turtle Wax. :p

All kidding aside, yes people love it or hate it for the most part. I say wait to experience it first and then make your judgement accordingly. It is definitely not up as high as you think it is. I'm personally on the fence if I truly will like it or not. I'm waiting to experience first hand before I decide.

I think looking down is dangerous.

That includes looking downward to conventional position for instrument cluster for Model S and X as well. Choosing for a song in my thousands in multiple folders at my 17" display is dangerous too.

I think looking upward or at least to the level of windshield horizon is fine whether on the left or on the center.

A few companies had moved instrument cluster to central windshield horizon level for a few years already.

Below is Prius:

2017_Toyota_Prius_Prime_Premium_whiteint-1024x683.jpg

People actually like central at windshield horizon position very much because they don't have to look downward.

It's the next best without Head-Up-Display to make gazing downward unnecessary.

By the way, I think Tesla explained part of the reasons is cost already: Conventional Model S and X use 2 separate computers for 2 separate displays while Model 3 just combined them into one.

Great answer. Cost basis makes sense as to the display. I just like the integration of the display in the other models. And looking down can definitely be dangerous. I understand Elon said no HUD but it would've been a nice addition, for safety, imo.

Reactions: Lunarx
Cool. Please send the Turtle wax to my mansion as I have numerous vehicles in desperate need of waxing.
A few years back I was looking at the BMW I3 and thought I would purchase. However; when I actually saw it at the dealer and test drove it I ended up going with the Nissan Leaf. I have high hopes for the M3 and believe it will be an excellent vehicle and can't wait to see it in person.

...I understand Elon said no HUD but it would've been a nice addition, for safety, imo.

I completely agree with you on this.

But reality is what we got.

Elon does not want to encourage more manual driving or more monitoring from human so it is doubtful he will ever approve HUD.

That is the company's direction so I don't think anyone can change that.

The dash and hood on the Model 3 are low, so it gives the appearance that the display is high. However, relative to the driver's line of sight, it shouldn't be obstructive:

maxresdefault.jpg

As for the lack of an instrument cluster behind the steering wheel:
Tesla Model 3 engineer gives insights into driving experience without instrument cluster

I was also a bit apprehensive at first about the M3 center display with no binnacle in front of the steering wheel but the more I see and the more I think about it I think it's not going to be all that bad. It will probably take a little bit to get used to but I'm not against change at all.

And I think we're all more used to glancing over to the center than we realize (Nav screens or Smartphones) -- it remains to be seen how the masses react, and will of course be a "preference" item for a while -- but my opinion is that it will not be a long term inhibitor to acceptance of this car. Quality & Reliabilty could be. (Note: I am long on $TSLA and a pre-reveal reservation for the M3.)

Agree with this. After realizing the 3 would only have the center screen, I started glancing at my Volt infotainment screen while driving to see how bad it would be, and it was fine. The top left corner was no harder to see than the speedometer on the dash. Plus, as you said, I already glanced at the infotainment screen a lot already to see the Android Auto maps and to adjust the stations/podcasts i was listening to. I also used the screen to check out the energy flow and energy information with no issues either. Depending on the 3's UI, one central screen should be fine.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how everything above the red line will just be open windshield. I think it's going to be awesome and we'll quickly see what we would have lost with an integrated screen.
View attachment 237561

Big difference between the Prius family and the Model 3. The Prius family has the speed display far in the front, jammed against the windshield - its in your field of vision when looking forwards. The Model 3's display is closer to your hands, requiring precious seconds taken off the road.

Reactions: vinnie97 and Topher