Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Center Display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The precious seconds it takes with almost every car available today.

Most cars have an analog gauge, or a digital display that imitates an analog display. Its been proven that analog is better for quick and accurate estimates, digital is better for pure precision. I for one have a preference for the analog - I wear an analog watch, use a manual blood pressure cuff at the clinic I work at (mandated by company). When I go for flying lessons, I much prefer the analog steam gauges than a purely glass (digital) cockpit (which I don't trust after failing thrice in a row).

I'm an early reservation holder and very much looking forward to being a Tesla owner. I love everything about the M3 except for the center display. I don't understand why the display wasn't integrated into the dash as in the other Tesla vehicles? In my opinion that looks much nicer.
I agree.

I'm also concerned that the center display on the M3 may impair visibility because it looks like it is placed high on the dash.
It can't impair visibility due to the dash being so low. Take another look at the steering wheel which also stick up above the dash.

I'm undecided about the lack of an instrument cluster as in the Model S and X. The deciding factor for me will be actually seeing the vehicle for myself and a test drive.
I am undecided as well, but from the pictures the display just looks like an awkward afterthought. It's what you'd expect sitting on an office desk. I honestly wish they'd reproduced something closer to the Model S interior - including the better seats and dash design.

Most cars have an analog gauge, or a digital display that imitates an analog display. Its been proven that analog is better for quick and accurate estimates, digital is better for pure precision. I for one have a preference for the analog

Interesting, but I'm the complete opposite. Never had an analog watch and it takes me more time to read an analog display. I have to convert it, much like a foreign currency. In fact I often just engage cruise control in my car just because it then shows me the speed as a number. I'm very much looking forward to the center display in the model 3.

Who knows, maybe it'll let you set the display to analog. Or download different themes. :)

I'm interested to see how this goes in real world use (I'm sure it'll be fine for most people), but it's interesting that this kind of thing got past regulations etc.. I'm even a bit surprised touch screens have become such a common thing in modern cars. I certainly find them more fiddly and awkward to use while driving, and mine's tiny in comparison.

If I did have one thing that irks me a little, it's the fairly large black border around the screen. Sure this isn't a TV or computer monitor, but I'm guessing it will make it feel a little bit bulkier and obtrusive than it would if it had smaller bezels.

I'm guessing the speedometer will be colored (or become less transparent) based on how far over the speed limit you are driving.

Good Guess

@drmanejwala @arctechinc On center screen. Also, center screen *will* show speed as an overlay that changes opacity according to relevance.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) March 29, 2017

This was a day after the famous "You won't care" tweet.

Big difference between the Prius family and the Model 3. The Prius family has the speed display far in the front, jammed against the windshield - its in your field of vision when looking forwards. The Model 3's display is closer to your hands, requiring precious seconds taken off the road.

It's about 350 milliseconds or 1/3 of a second and you have to do it no matter what. It makes no difference if it's 6-12 inches further back

Its been proven that analog is better for quick and accurate estimates, digital is better for pure precision.
No, reading the analog is neither accurate nor precise. Think: ballpark estimate.
It might be accurate in itself, but reading it is not.

• Disagree
Reactions: Topher
Here's a rumor to get going on social media between now and Friday's party... The Model 3 center display isn't part of the dash because it's a detachable phablet. You can snap it out of the car and use it for pedestrian navigation. It's also a full-featured laptop, so you can detach it from the car, snap on a keyboard, and take it into the house or office.

Obvious troll is funny.

Its been proven that analog is better for quick and accurate estimates, digital is better for pure precision.
What I have seen research is that 'analog needles' assist situational awareness by
- All the extra information intuitively extractable from moving needles (you see movement & the brain quickly derives first and second derivatives and can forecast trends)
- It capitalizes on the brain's ability to detect changes in movements or trends with peripheral vision.
- Depending on the type of gauge, proximity to positions such as middle, vertical, horizontal, left stop, right stop, etc can be used to convey extra metadata about operational envelope vs target vs actual (which are more relevant than actual 'numbers').

When I fly I like those traits... and enjoy some steam engines around my glass cockpit, which needs to resolve those conveyance issues with even more visualizations.

But when I drive one simple digital absolute speed number in the middle answers all relevant design questions rapidly on the occasional glance. You and others may drive differently and have different needs.

Reactions: animorph
When driving, your relative speed compared to the other drivers around you should be more important than your actual speed, especially for drivers in your lane of traffic. You should be following the flow of traffic for maximum safety. If cars have to go around you, or if you are weaving between cars, then there's a greater chance of something going wrong.

Having said that, unless Tesla completely biffed the UI, getting your speed with the center screen should be no more or less difficult than getting your speed from a binnacle.

Reactions: EchoDelta
Most cars have an analog gauge, or a digital display that imitates an analog display. Its been proven that analog is better for quick and accurate estimates, digital is better for pure precision. I for one have a preference for the analog - I wear an analog watch, use a manual blood pressure cuff at the clinic I work at (mandated by company). When I go for flying lessons, I much prefer the analog steam gauges than a purely glass (digital) cockpit (which I don't trust after failing thrice in a row).
please link your source. An analogue display is definetly not faster to read than a digital one. If anything quite the opposite.

please link your source. An analogue display is definetly not faster to read than a digital one. If anything quite the opposite.
It depends on the measurement context. A fighter jet HUD needs to replicate dials for altimeter to better indicate rate changes. The attitude indicator would not only read a number for degrees, but have a horizon showing angle.

However, for a car HUD, the old speedometer dial is not replicated for a good reason - the most relevant info is simply speed.

Obvious troll is funny.

Wow! I'm a troll. That's really mean-spirited. I read through this thread and folks seemed to be having fun with bits of humor. So I thought it would be fun to suggest that the center console is a removable tablet. But that makes me a troll. And here I thought it was some light-hearted humor. I happen to be a huge Tesla fan, anxiously awaiting Friday's reveal.

With a software update they can make it LOOK like an analog gauge so you can read that speedometer as inefficiently as possible. Maybe they could use Roman numerals as another skin.

That should satisfy everyone except those people who insist that looking down is safer than looking down and to the right to check the speed.

Wow! I'm a troll. That's really mean-spirited. I read through this thread and folks seemed to be having fun with bits of humor. So I thought it would be fun to suggest that the center console is a removable tablet. But that makes me a troll. And here I thought it was some light-hearted humor. I happen to be a huge Tesla fan, anxiously awaiting Friday's reveal.

There are some people on this forum that have a stick up their a**. I thought it was pretty funny.