Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Charging and Other Queries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting delivery of Model 3 soon.. and had few queries after reading a lot of posts

Charging - Have a single phase house.. So is CLIPSAL EY56C332 | 3 Pin 32Amp Switched Socket Outlet IP66 | Easy56 - Clipsal by Schneider Electric + Tesla Gen 2 UMC Adapter | 32 Amp | 7 kW | 3-Pin plug the best combination?

that is what's confusing us - we don't want to end up wasting money on multiple tails.

Also is Cable Organizer meant to keep the UMC which comes with Model 3 neat and tidy in this setup (which I like) or is this for some oth

Do it once and do it right in my view.

If you own the house, I’d just get the proper wall charger. It’s a long term investment, for the life of your car, and the next one after that. And for your visitors in future when EV’s are more common.

Sounds like an easy install also, and much neater, so your concerns about cable organisers aren’t an issue.

Leave the mobile charger in the car for emergencies.

Hey all,
I'm wondering if there's any way to determine if a charging station is used at the moment (3rd parties and/or Tesla SC)?
I checked ABRP and Plugshare, didn't see any info there. ABRP shows either operational or unknown.

I just realised Chargefox actually gives a status "IN USE". Hopefully more providers do this
While it is nice to know if it is actually in use, you'll never know if there's a queue to use it and how long the queue may be.

A good example is the NRMA charger at Olympic Park. I have driven by and seen someone charging and at least two other cars waiting to charge. Now, they could all check in with PlugShare or none of them could.

The Tesla incar map will show you for Tesla chargers.

Plugshare has live availability for Evie, Jolt and Everty. Google has live availability for Chargefox, Evie and Jolt. As do the individual apps.

NRMA doesn't really have any availability unfortunately. When they start charging I'm guessing they will probably use Chargefox (given existing partnerships) so that would improve that situation.

Reactions: rx80 and cafz
While it is nice to know if it is actually in use, you'll never know if there's a queue to use it and how long the queue may be.
This is true.

I was just watching Tom's channel and some of the people there said, charging stations are starting to have a waiting period. They went to Goulburn and Macquarie, all stations were used.

It's a good sign however, Tesla would need to build more superchargers

This is true.

I was just watching Tom's channel and some of the people there said, charging stations are starting to have a waiting period. They went to Goulburn and Macquarie, all stations were used.

Goulburn has 8 chargers and Macquarie has 10, so those site will turn cars over very quickly - at an average session time of 25 minutes that's one car every 3 minutes at Goulburn and one every 2 and a half minutes at Macquarie. So even if it's full when you arrive, you likely won't be waiting long.

• Tesla cam - reading again looks like Samsung T7 2TB be a good one going into glove box? Or lower capacity?

• Is this accurate assumption? Good to keep it neat looks like and not too expensive
  • Will be also going for frontal PPF + ceramic coating rest + legal tinting.. what’s recommended for inside seats? Any brands recommended ? Suntek
  • Thinking of painting the wheel black.. would look awesome I reckon
  • Insurance quote is stinging me but still looking for a good one
  • Saw some organiser on Tesla and Amazon for the Center console.. it is a large gap
  • Premium connectivity is a given to subscribe to right ? Looks like it
  • FSD - probably in future when money saved
  • Is the Model 3 Owner Manual in PDF by any chance?
  • Seeing some USB hub for the car .. what do people use it for? Charging non wireless chargeable phones?
  • Any other accessory I might look into? Which I can order while car arrives
Welcome!
The 2tb T7 is overkill for sentry cam. The 512GB T5 will be more than you will ever need and save you some money.
I went for the Suntek Ultra ppf frontal, 10H ceramic coating and ceramic tint 35% on side windows and rear for $3200. I’m too old for the gangsta look, and 35% all round looked consistent.
I think black wheels would look good too. I have the 19s in silver and think they look out of place on a model 3 with black trim.
I went with GIO, which were the cheapest for me (choose your own repairer, new for old, full glass cover), but I have seen quotes vary massively depending on who you are and where you live. You’ll just have to check them out for yourself, to see what is best for you.
You can now use your phone as a wifi hot spot, so you might not need premium connectivity.
FSD - it doesn’t do very much for the money, you might be better off saving it.
The manual pdf is available from your account web page.
you probably don’t need the hub in the current model 3 - it comes with wireless charging for 2 phones.
Be careful - I had a cupboard full of accessories by the time my model 3 arrived. Gave me something to do though while we we locked down. Ali Express is a great source if you don’t mind waiting for delivery.

I was the one who mentioned Goulburn. And I was talking about Chargefox (2x350 + 1x50) being full, not the Superchargers. Over at the Supercharger only 4/8 stalls were in use. As much as folks here love the Goulburn Superchargers, if you drive at night, they kinda suck in comparison. At least the servo has bathrooms, a coffee machine, fresh sandwiches & all the usual stuff. And it's 3/5ths the price of a Supercharger. If there's a free stall.

Having just used Chargefox at Goulburn yesterday, I second this. Clean bathrooms, reasonable coffee etc. 20% discount for NRMA members so 32c/kWHr beats 52c from Tesla. On top of that, our 3LR with the LG cells (so not as good as Panasonic) kicked off at 170amps for 20% SOC versus the 120A we would have had from the V2 Superchargers. Another plus, just 2.5km down the road from the M31. In our case, we doubled back as we were heading for Sydney and this was quicker than driving through Goulburn. My wife did our online Wollworths ordering while we waited and the only glitch was the Tesla web browser which would not allow us to click the final links, but the shopping basket carried over to her phone so no dramas. She commented that ordering on the big (Tesla) screen was far superior to doing most of the shopping on the phone.

Thanks everyone

Will have a think about charging.. got a quote for $750 for 32A but can think of just living with 10A.
  • Tesla cam - reading again looks like Samsung T7 2TB be a good one going into glove box? Or lower capacity?

• Is this accurate assumption? Good to keep it neat looks like and not too expensive
  • Will be also going for frontal PPF + ceramic coating rest + legal tinting.. what’s recommended for inside seats? Any brands recommended ? Suntek
  • Thinking of painting the wheel black.. would look awesome I reckon
  • Insurance quote is stinging me but still looking for a good one
  • Saw some organiser on Tesla and Amazon for the Center console.. it is a large gap
  • Premium connectivity is a given to subscribe to right ? Looks like it
  • FSD - probably in future when money saved
  • Is the Model 3 Owner Manual in PDF by any chance?
  • Seeing some USB hub for the car .. what do people use it for? Charging non wireless chargeable phones?
  • Any other accessory I might look into? Which I can order while car arrives
Just 1 point on FSD, definitely don't get it when buying the car. You'll end up paying LCT on it. If you are going to keep the car longer than 4 1/2 years, buy it outright. If not, pay $200 a month for it. Either way, pay $200 for 1 month and see if you can live without it the next. I think you'll find it's not worth the money.

I am getting delivery of Model 3 soon.. and had few queries after reading a lot of posts

Charging - Have a single phase house.. So is CLIPSAL EY56C332 | 3 Pin 32Amp Switched Socket Outlet IP66 | Easy56 - Clipsal by Schneider Electric + Tesla Gen 2 UMC Adapter | 32 Amp | 7 kW | 3-Pin plug the best combination?

Daily average is not going to be a lot but I think its best bang for the buck as I have a 10A socket in garage and just feels too low for charging. And the full dedicated kit seems overkill too..

Also being reading that people suggest to get a 5 pin 32Amp plug so that the tail can be more useful at other places - Can this be installed in a single phase house and is it worth it? We don't travel remote much.. maybe 1-2 times a year..

that is what's confusing us - we don't want to end up wasting money on multiple tails.

Does anyone know what it costs to get the socket installed by a sparky - rough ballpark figures? It will be close to switchboard and/or another 10A power outlet - whichever works out - so no need of long wire runs

Also is Cable Organizer meant to keep the UMC which comes with Model 3 neat and tidy in this setup (which I like) or is this for some other unit?
I did all my research and decided to go with a 3 pin 32A plug and tail and charge with the UMC.
Then, after all that I decided for the extra $700 I'd be better off with a wall charger so ordered the Gen 3 wall charger from Tesla. It'll charge at the same rate but I won't (more specifically my other half) have to pack up the UMC every day.
My car parks under a carport, if yours is in a garage you can probably leave it plugged in and hanging there when you go out. I don't want to pack it up every day and I don't want to leave it out in the elements all the time. I just hope the wall charger doesn't get stolen. I might get a little cover for it to hide it a little

Reactions: cafz
My car parks under a carport, if yours is in a garage you can probably leave it plugged in and hanging there when you go out. I don't want to pack it up every day and I don't want to leave it out in the elements all the time. I just hope the wall charger doesn't get stolen. I might get a little cover for it to hide it a little

Yes this is definitely a good reason for installing a fixed wall charger. If your car space is outside, the wall charger is virtually impossible to steal or tamper with, unless a crook happens to be packing a bunch of tools.

The mobile changer can readily be disconnected from the power socket by hand, and theoretically they could steal the tail, which would be an annoyance.

Yes this is definitely a good reason for installing a fixed wall charger. If your car space is outside, the wall charger is virtually impossible to steal or tamper with, unless a crook happens to be packing a bunch of tools.

The mobile changer can readily be disconnected from the power socket by hand, and theoretically they could steal the tail, which would be an annoyance.
You can get a lockable gpo. It has a cover that flips down over the lid and a small almost useless padlock can be fitted. Available from electrical wholesalers.

You can get a lockable gpo. It has a cover that flips down over the lid and a small almost useless padlock can be fitted. Available from electrical wholesalers.
Doesn't that just make it hard to plug something in? I want to make it easier! To be honest, I originally planned to have the power point behind the gate (on a North facing wall unfortunately) but the sun would likely ruin the UMC (and the rain might get into the tail end) and also possibly the Wall Charger so I'm going to have to put the wall charger out the front under the eaves of the house. It's not ideal, especially since it's really only 4 screws to remove it. The Gen 3 is much simpler to remove than the Gen 2.