Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 charging: type 2 extension 11kW vs 22kW; what is the difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max_G

Everything needs to be defined :)
Sep 19, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
I am looking at getting a type two cable for my M3LR.

I saw a Type 2 to Type 2 EV Charging Cable | 7kW/11kW and a Type 2 to Type 2 EV Charging Cable | 22kW.
These look the same to me, as in plugs... and I assume the conductors might have a greater diameter?!

If my assumption is correct, why even consider a 7kW cable?

Yes, the plugs would be the same, but there would be some electronics inside to tell the wall connector / onboard charger what is the maximum current. The physical differences in the cable would be the Cross sectional area of the conductors. All things being said, The Model 3 can only charge at 11kW AC, so if used exclusively for the '3 then just get the cheaper 11kW one. 7kW one may be cheaper again, and if say bought for a Hyundai Kona, then the max onboard AC charger is 7kW, so no point buying a more expensive option you wouldn't utilise.

• Helpful
Reactions: Max_G
The Model 3 can only charge at 11kW AC
... this statement eventually clicked for me. Thank you.

The onboard charger can do 11kW max. It is AC, so any adapter, cable and what no doing more is pointless, unless one converts a 'whatever' AC plug to the Type 2 connector. Single phase seems to be limited in AU to 32A, therefore, 7.68kW is the max charging rate on AC and proper (code -compliant) installation.

A 7kW cable will just be single phase, which would typically give you 7kW, at a 32A point.

The 11kW cable will be three phase but thinner cables limiting you to 16A per phase.. So at a single phase station (a minority but some around) you will only get 3.5kW, but on three phase you'll get 11kW

The 22kW is most flexible - giving you typically 7kW on single phase and 11kW on triple phase.

For the few extra $s in most cases get the 22kW version.

The 11kW cable will be three phase but thinner cables limiting you to 16A per phase.. So at a single phase station (a minority but some around) you will only get 3.5kW, but on three phase you'll get 11kW

The 22kW is most flexible - giving you typically 7kW on single phase and 11kW on triple phase.

11kW cable on three phases each 16A = 11kW, only 3.5kW on single phase.
22kW cable on three phases = 11kW, only 7kW on single phase.

Well, there is no doubt, the 22kW cable should be the default.

Thanks... I ordered a 7kW, not understanding the 3.5kW limit... just changed the order to 22kW. Thank you.

Reactions: moa999
I would also recommend you get a 22 kW cable, ~6 M length, for reasons mentioned above. Equally, you never know if you might need this for other EVs in the future. I previously bought a 6M one for my Renault Zoé which can charge at 22kW (7kW at home). However, the 4M cable supplied with my M3LR just wouldn't reach from my home wallbox to the M3 charging port so the longer 6M existing cable just got swapped round between the two cars.

I think it depends on the cable maker.
I have a 22Kw Type2 to Type 2 cable as my early Model S can support 22Kw. This supports 32A at 230V on 3 phase (32X230X3 = 22080).
I could have bought a 7Kw cable from the same place and understood that it supports 32AX230V on single phase (32X230X1 = 7360).
The 22Kw cable is significantly thicker than the 7Kw cable and as a result quite a bit heavier.
I‘ve never seen an 11Kw cable but presume it as a 3 phase cable but with thinner cable supporting 16AX230V on three phase. I would check with the manufacturers if that would limit its capacity on single phase however as I’ve seen some 7Kw cables with fairly small diameter cables such cables like these that are curled.
1636192529309.png

The 22Kw cable is significantly thicker ... and as a result quite a bit heavier.
I‘ve never seen an 11Kw cable but presume it as a 3 phase cable but with thinner cable supporting 16AX230V on three phase.
Correct, the 22kW cable is thicker and therefore heavier, and a bit stiffer, so winding/unwinding it into/out of its bag takes longer and a bit more manual effort. maybe not so for the guys but could be a challenge for the ladies.

The 11kW version has 5x2.5mm²+2x0.5mm² wires, the 22kW 5x6mm²+2x0.5mm²

Using the 11kW cable at a 32A single phase Type2 charging station, my Model S reported 4kW (20A)

Looking at EVchargers the price difference is $15.

Correct, the 22kW cable is thicker and therefore heavier, and a bit stiffer, so winding/unwinding it into/out of its bag takes longer and a bit more manual effort. maybe not so for the guys but could be a challenge for the ladies.

The 11kW version has 5x2.5mm²+2x0.5mm² wires, the 22kW 5x6mm²+2x0.5mm²

Using the 11kW cable at a 32A single phase Type2 charging station, my Model S reported 4kW (20A)

Looking at EVchargers the price difference is $15.

So how does the EVSE know that the cable isn't rated for the full 32A on single phase? Is there some electronics in the cable to flag this?

So how does the EVSE know that the cable isn't rated for the full 32A on single phase? Is there some electronics in the cable to flag this?
Only a humble resistor between protective earth (PE) and the proximity pin (PP) pin to indicate the gauge of the cable and thus the maximum current.
The resistors are installed at both ends of the cable.
The resistance values are: 1500Ω – up to 13A, 680Ω – up to 16A cable, 220Ω – 32A cable.
At a 32A charging outlet the 680Ω resistance indicates maximum power draw of 16A (but I can't explain seeing 20A - see my post #8 above :mad:)

Only a humble resistor between protective earth (PE) and the proximity pin (PP) pin to indicate the gauge of the cable and thus the maximum current.
The resistors are installed at both ends of the cable.
The resistance values are: 1500Ω – up to 13A, 680Ω – up to 16A cable, 220Ω – 32A cable.
At a 32A charging outlet the 680Ω resistance indicates maximum power draw of 16A (but I can't explain seeing 20A - see my post #8 above :mad:)
Some model S had a 20 AMP charger from memory.