Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dashcam Moments - Video or it didn't happen!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick sentry/dashcam question... I see folders for Sentry Mode, Recent, and Saved. Does the Tesla store the video it records while driving that hasn't been saved? (By clicking the dashcam icon while driving)

The reason I ask is my wife told me about another driver driving dangerously around her yesterday. But she didn't know to press the dashcam icon to save it. I was wondering if the car saves any of that data. It was probably within the last 10-15 minutes the car was driven.
If you haven't driven it since, it might still be there.

If she didn't press to save, the car will only save the last hour of recording for recent clips before it rewrites.

If you haven't driven it since, it might still be there.

Unfortunately, the only thing in the "Recents" folder is four 6-second clips. Looks like they are from last night when I tried to view the clips in the car. Does the car clear everything out of the recents folder on every drive? I didn't even put the car into gear -- all I did was get in the car, type in the PIN, and look at the sentry events. When I didn't see any I unplugged the SSD and tried looking on my computer. I'm surprised the folder is empty -- I could swear that I previously used to always see that folder filled with videos.

Unfortunately, the only thing in the "Recents" folder is four 6-second clips. Looks like they are from last night when I tried to view the clips in the car. Does the car clear everything out of the recents folder on every drive? I didn't even put the car into gear -- all I did was get in the car, type in the PIN, and look at the sentry events. When I didn't see any I unplugged the SSD and tried looking on my computer. I'm surprised the folder is empty -- I could swear that I previously used to always see that folder filled with videos.
Dunno. I wonder if you took that USB and put it on your computer and transferred your folders, if you could recover the videos, like they're hidden or something.

Dunno. I wonder if you took that USB and put it on your computer and transferred your folders, if you could recover the videos, like they're hidden or something.
That's an interesting idea.

It wasn't a terribly major event -- if anything it gave me a chance to explain to my wife about saving clips by pressing the dashcam button.(dont think I want to do the horn honk save)

That's an interesting idea.

It wasn't a terribly major event -- if anything it gave me a chance to explain to my wife about saving clips by pressing the dashcam button.(dont think I want to do the horn honk save)
I kind of like the horn honk save, it's easier to press than trying to reach over to the screen and tap the target. Just a courtesy honk. Certainly, you don't want to do it if it aggravates the crazy driver.

Tesla Stories is a series of Tesla owners real experiences told by the Teslacam. I have been in contact with each uploader to get more information on the story, and of course their permission to include their Teslacam story in this Tesla Dashcam video. In this episode we get to see a Tesla Model 3 vandalized and a Tesla model 3 on Autopilot who predicts a crash - and more!
Episode 5:

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
What's the problem? It was too slow?

Not supposed to change 2 lanes at once. Cutting it really close... (cutting people off)

I think around where I live we expect people to keep more distance for safety.
Maybe that driver was from New York city (or Chicago?) where people are more used to cutting it close?

I recall driving in NYC years ago where I got honked at because I tried to leave 2 car lengths distance between me and the car in front of me...

Some people would call the driving in the video aggressive, risky and upsetting to other drivers. I guess others would just think it looks normal. I am not sure if they broke any laws.

( Tolerance for "tailgating" varies a lot from place to place. )

Crazy driving is a losing game. All that effort, and what's the result? Stuck in traffic, a couple cars ahead? All that risk, for so little reward. I mean, driving across all that painted area where nails and other debris accumulate is a good way to damage your tires, not to mention possibly hit the gore point.

Crazy driving is a losing game. All that effort, and what's the result? Stuck in traffic, a couple cars ahead? All that risk, for so little reward. I mean, driving across all that painted area where nails and other debris accumulate is a good way to damage your tires, not to mention possibly hit the gore point.

Type-A?... "Meth-head?"... "Coke-head?"... "Thrill-seeker?"... "Angry about something?"...

I always wonder what is motivating people to drive like that.

Then there is the "drive it like you stole it..."

Maybe they are late to their appointment at traffic court...

Wow this one was crazy today! Guy was hauling ass, probably running 65-70 in a 30 coming in my direction. He swerved into my side of the road (4 lane road), and I gunned it to avoid him hitting me. He was going too fast, couldn't make the corner and blew through a block wall and gate, and almost went into the peoples' house. First pic is left repeater video, all I gotta say is thank god for this car accelerating as fast as it does, or I would've been creamed. Second pic is aftermath.

wow2.PNG

wow3.PNG

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Wow this one was crazy today! Guy was hauling ass, probably running 65-70 in a 30 coming in my direction. He swerved into my side of the road (4 lane road), and I gunned it to avoid him hitting me. He was going too fast, couldn't make the corner and blew through a block wall and gate, and almost went into the peoples' house. First pic is left repeater video, all I gotta say is thank god for this car accelerating as fast as it does, or I would've been creamed. Second pic is aftermath.

View attachment 557437

View attachment 557443

No rear or right cam footage so we can see him hitting the wall?

Reactions: whatthe2