Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dashcam Moments - Video or it didn't happen!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This next Episode of Teslacam Stories is about Rolling Coal. I did not know this was a thing. But after talking to some of the uploaders i learned this was quite common for them??? This got to be a US only thing?

Oh, it has been a thing for a while. I personally haven't experienced any hate or rolling coal for my car, that's also because I live in a state where there's many Tesla's around.

Somewhere like the Midwest or places where big trucks are the norm, you are going to see them now and then. Think it probably has to do with "Tesla's aren't real cars" or "it doesn't have an engine that doesn't make sound", or things in similar. Some people just don't like change, and think of Tesla and EV owners are in part of some radical group.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Yes, unfortunately this appears to be a USA problem. A$$hats like these think that emitting large amounts of pollutants into the atmosphere in front of environmentally-friendly vehicles is making a statement. I read it as they're overcompensating for some shortcoming on their part (physical, emotional or maybe mental).

I may have had this happen to me once before. I was driving westbound on I-80 from Truckee, CA. That stretch is uphill to Donner Summit, an elevation of about 7,000'. I was in the #2 lane coming up on a fairly new diesel pickup in the #1 lane when he/she starting to accelerate. Now I know that diesels are notorious for spewing smoke but what came out of that truck seemed to me to be excessive. The truck did not pull in front of me, nor act "crazy" by any means. I held back until reaching the summit and watched as the truck exited the highway. You can be sure that I would have reported them if they took any actions that appeared to be purposeful.

Reactions: Gasaraki
Was witness to this one a few months ago. Sedan had a nanny driving kids, so parents were relieved to see video and know it wasn’t her fault at all.

re: the earlier discussion about sharing video, I waited at the crash site and gave my contact info to the two drivers once they settled their nerves and was sure they were ok. I shared this edited-down view by email with sedan owner. Never heard from the van guy. :)

Reactions: Petrolpants
Was witness to this one a few months ago. Sedan had a nanny driving kids, so parents were relieved to see video and know it wasn’t her fault at all.

re: the earlier discussion about sharing video, I waited at the crash site and gave my contact info to the two drivers once they settled their nerves and was sure they were ok. I shared this edited-down view by email with sedan owner. Never heard from the van guy. :)

What was the van driver doing? Did he just misjudge his entry, or was he texting? As for the nanny, not her fault, but a more attentive driver might have noticed the van was starting to move, and perhaps swerved to avoid the collision.

Nice of you that you stayed and made sure everyone was ok and shared video. Thumbs up!

Quick sentry/dashcam question... I see folders for Sentry Mode, Recent, and Saved. Does the Tesla store the video it records while driving that hasn't been saved? (By clicking the dashcam icon while driving)

The reason I ask is my wife told me about another driver driving dangerously around her yesterday. But she didn't know to press the dashcam icon to save it. I was wondering if the car saves any of that data. It was probably within the last 10-15 minutes the car was driven.

Quick sentry/dashcam question... I see folders for Sentry Mode, Recent, and Saved. Does the Tesla store the video it records while driving that hasn't been saved? (By clicking the dashcam icon while driving)

The reason I ask is my wife told me about another driver driving dangerously around her yesterday. But she didn't know to press the dashcam icon to save it. I was wondering if the car saves any of that data. It was probably within the last 10-15 minutes the car was driven.

If she didn't press to save, the car will only save the last hour of recording for recent clips before it rewrites.

Also, you can also enable "Save clips on Honk", that will also save it too, if you haven't enabled it yet.