Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dashcam Moments - Video or it didn't happen!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I got the 42.3 update, it's definitely been working a lot more often. Before, I would have to manually stop/start the recording every time before exiting and entering the video. It became increasingly annoying. Now it works 9/10 times.

Just checked and I am on 42.8. When I first got the dash cam feature (one or two updates ago), it seemed to work ok. Now, it virtually never works. How do you manually start/stop recording?

I stand corrected on my incorrect interpretation of the end of the video. Good to know that wasn’t the case. It’s far too easy to get into a tit-for-tat escalation that is many times worse than the original issue.

Carry on.

I thought about commenting to say the same that it wasn’t good for @BOBEDIGITL to trap the other driver in the merging lane even if the other driver was a dick initially.

Lesson learned that video doesn’t tell the whole story. Seconds of what transpired before or after can change the whole context. Also, the field of vision of a camera is inferior to what a human can see.

Even in my own initial post, my driving looks more aggressive than it was because I cut the video off early and it doesn’t show I had lots of room in front of me.

I thought about commenting to say the same that it wasn’t good for @BOBEDIGITL to trap the other driver in the merging lane even if the other driver was a dick initially.

Lesson learned that video doesn’t tell the whole story. Seconds of what transpired before or after can change the whole context. Also, the field of vision of a camera is inferior to what a human can see.

Even in my own initial post, my driving looks more aggressive than it was because I cut the video off early and it doesn’t show I had lots of room in front of me.

Ya the video doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. I definitely didn't trap the other driver. Retaliating in any sort of situation like that more likely than not, will only escalate any situation. Especially considering how much I paid for my car, I try to avoid them as much as possible.

But like you said, context is everything.

Since I got the 42.3 update, it's definitely been working a lot more often. Before, I would have to manually stop/start the recording every time before exiting and entering the video. It became increasingly annoying. Now it works 9/10 times.

Just wanted to chime in for another data point. I am on 42.4 with a SanDisk High Endurance microSD with one of those microSD/SD/memory-stick>USB adapters, formatted with fat32format.exe. Multiple start/stop/park/etc so far have always seen camera+red dot recording.

I'm using a ROAV C1 dashcam (still on 28.1 so no TeslaCam). Had it in my BMW for a year or so and transferred it to the 3 several weeks ago. It's wired into a USB hub (Sabrent Mini 4-port rotating hub) in the front center console. This morning I'm waiting at the left turn red light. The light turns green and as usual I look both ways and this happens: