TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Delivery Experience in Fremont

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Manksgloob, Sep 7, 2018.

1. kengchang

kengchang Active Member

I am curious if they will pull more cars from the factory lot as the days progress.

2. desuma

desuma Member

Some more details:
    • The couple next to me was looking for a white/white AWD. The delivery advisor didn't have their configuration at a local lot -- they're not limiting themselves to the inventory that's outside in front.
    • The delivery advisor offered to get them a different color combination if they were interested. They wanted their original config.
    • The delivery advisor mentioned that they have several other lots and they wanted to set them up with delivery in the next few days -- the couple had a factory tour scheduled on Monday and she sounded optimistic that they would be able to land one.
    • I've been here since before the doors opened (75 minutes ago) and haven't been spoken to since I checked in. It's already super busy.
    • They have a live presentation going on -- walking folks through an FAQ basically :)
    • The employees here seem to be volunteers, or at least are not doing their normal jobs. I overheard one asking colleagues what their usual jobs were ("finance" they said).
    • The excitement and positivity from the employees is palpable. Kool-aid in full effect. I'm impressed.

• Informative x 6
    • Like x 5
    • Love x 3
  3. Nisesen

Nisesen Member

Thanks for the info. Can you ask if its possible to walk in there, apply for tesla financing, and get a car in the same visit? My credit union is taking forever to get back to me, so I'm considering that.

4. desuma

desuma Member

If they ever talk with me again ;) yes I will. I'm planning on doing the same -- currently set up as cash but I'm willing to fall back to Tesla financing instead of a more competitive CU rate.

5. rrollens

rrollens Member

One way to get an idea is to see how low the VINS go.

6. radiolab

radiolab Member

Is anyone trying to do a trade in? I can come in and by the car today, but wanted to trade in my car. Not sure if this event supports trade ins.

• Like x 1
  7. EVChris

EVChris Member

Any information about Tesla trade-ins?

8. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Active Member

They should offer a discount on the "rejected" cars....but then again...if they can find someone to pay full price. Guess its always buyer beware.

9. kaiz312

kaiz312 Member

Lowest vin I saw was in the 55xxx and higest was 102xxx

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 3
  10. mblakele

mblakele pre-jackpot member

They said trade-ins are ok. I haven't seen or heard any evidence of one happening though.

11. engle

engle Member

Actually, the are using space vacated by the old service center location. The Fremont Service Center moved a few months ago to a larger space at:

1220 Page Ave, Fremont, CA 94538

12. Canikony

Canikony Member

It seems like what they are doing is basically like a normal dealership model. They have a bunch of configurations out there and hope that it matches with those who are participating.

13. Benihect

Benihect Member

Pretty well documented vins are assigned at random with no way of knowing manufacture date just from vin. You’ll have to be able to open door and see manufacture sticker

• Helpful x 1
  14. 2much3time

2much3time Member

My appointment is for later this afternoon.

Does this mean that I can just go in at any time and pick my car up?

15. seattlite2004

Hmmm...thought Tesla was "above" the "normal dealership model"....guess not?

• Like x 1
  16. desuma

desuma Member

Classic ad hoc tesla. :rolleyes:

I was one of the first through the doors and sat patiently and waited for 90 minutes, because there was supposed to be a matching advisor setting me up. I finally approached one of the employees and she confided that I could just go out into the lot and see if there was a config that matches what I wanted, pull the hang tag, and bring it to their order completion station. Another employee mentioned that they were changing the process as the morning went on - we’re 90 minutes into a 9 hour event. Awesome that they are being adaptive but some things (like communication) fall through the cracks.

It seems like there’s no requirement here that the config that you select matches your order — just pick one you like. Almost like a regular dealer!

Attached Files:

• Informative x 6
  17. EVnut

EVnut DARΞLL

If there is a suggestion box, please drop in a note about having local craft beer available at the next one. I mean if I'm gonna wait around for an hour or two...

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. mblakele

mblakele pre-jackpot member

After almost two hours I was able to establish that my config wouldn’t be available. I’ll stick with my delivery appointment and hope that goes better.

• Informative x 1
  19. seattlite2004

Hmmm......cept there is no haggling and everyone pays retail...but you can come in, pick the car you want....and drive off the lot....I like it!

• Like x 2
  20. desuma

desuma Member

I can confirm that applying for Tesla financing on-site is possible. The Tesla advisor says it will add 30-40 minutes. She also said that the Tesla finance team is standing by (off site).