Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 design studio expected to go live in 6-8 weeks - Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
......Elon did tweet that customer deliveries in late October are still possible.......,

Don't forget to use the Elon Distortion Field Clarifier: I HOPE "that customer deliveries in October are still possible."
Now it makes perfect sense, right?
Robin
Thanks for clearing that up.

I need to use the Elon Distortion Field Clarifier as well. Can I lease it from you from time to time?

• Funny
Reactions: N5329K and PJFW8

Because the rules for the M3 order queue have been established. How many Tesla/SpaceX orders need to be filled? If Tesla was at a current M3 run rate of hundreds per day the Fremont stalkers would probably see the surge.

I suspect the current thought is to get a few customer cars delivered in december. This allows the claim of production in 2017.

Musk's push to automate some functions may hinder production in 2018. The hangover from the Alien Dreadnaught b.s.

• Disagree
Reactions: landis
Because the rules for the M3 order queue have been established. How many Tesla/SpaceX orders need to be filled? If Tesla was at a current M3 run rate of hundreds per day the Fremont stalkers would probably see the surge.

I suspect the current thought is to get a few customer cars delivered in december. This allows the claim of production in 2017.

Although I doubt it will happen, Elon said regular customer deliveries in late October are still within the realm of possibility: Elon Musk on Twitter

As for the rules for the order queue, not every employee that has a reservation is going with the initial production version of the Model 3. Some will wait for the standard battery, no premium upgrade package, different color interior, dual motor, etc. I'd expect that when new options become available then employees will get the first ones built with those options. We still don't know exactly how many employee reservations there are, and of those how many are going to order the initial production version of the car.

Musk's push to automate some functions may hinder production in 2018. The hangover from the Alien Dreadnaught b.s.

The only employees that get cars before customers are those that order first production. Employees that want the small battery or non-PUP will be after customers that want first production.

The only employees that get cars before customers are those that order first production. Employees that want the small battery or non-PUP will be after customers that want first production.

How many employees? 20K? Take that group plus their immediate families. I think the absolute minimum might be 2K first production orders. A real number of 5K+ would not surprise me.

What is the downside of an employee taking a first production car and trading for an upscale model 3 in 18 months? They even get repairs done at work if the early cars have problems.

Who's rule?

Tesla doesn't follow rules all of the time. Especially their own. And in some cases that's a good thing.

Reactions: internalaudit
I’m certain a majority of employees fall into the waiting category for all of the options or combination of options listed above. Remember the first build are all one configuration with PUP included, with paint and wheels being the only options.

I mean, if it means I get my car this year I’m taking as is, but if it’s next year I might just wait for white interior.

Is it possible that the 1134 vins registered were the initial employee orders that Tesla reserved for employees to have low vin numbers

And then when more versions of the car are released more employees will order since 1134 orders seem low for all employees
1134 might not be too low for employees who choose not to get base battery, single motor, non performance with premium package, black interior, etc. If there are 10k employee reservations, it's not out of the question that only 10% want the config that's available at launch.

10% doesn't feel right to me. They are mostly costal Californians. Many would probably choose AWD if available, but like a lot of TMC members they will probably take RWD to get the car sooner.
I think a lot of them would still be stretching their budget to buy a $55k car, and those that wouldn't might really want that white or cream interior, or AWD, or performance. Maybe not 10%, but I think the number that want launch config is pretty low. If you know for sure you'll get those other configs and still get 100% of the tax credit why wouldn't you wait for exactly what you want? I would, but I know waiting for AWD means losing at least half of it.