Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 design studio expected to go live in 6-8 weeks - Elon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think they're excusing him, just accepting reality. If Toyota was coming to market with a $45k, 300+ mile, EV sport sedan this year, I might spring for that, even if it looked like the current Prius (I would have to think a lot about it though).

But everyone, Toyota included, is years, or even decades behind Tesla. People excuse production delays, some problems with quality (I think the 3 will be better than the S/X), and partially finished UIs/features because Elon is the only one willing to build a competitive EV.

If someone did it better than he does, I'm sure he would bow out and invest his time in something else to help humanity. Unfortunately for us, the established players in the auto world can't find their EVs in the dark with both hands.
People always forget about the Tesla SC network. Nobody else has it and therefore no matter how good a Toyota EV will be, those owners will have many more concerns about long drives than Tesla owners. ;)

People always forget about the Tesla SC network. Nobody else has it and therefore no matter how good a Toyota EV will be, those owners will have many more concerns about long drives than Tesla owners. ;)
Absolutely I agree with you 100%.

The bolt would be a much better car if it had a equivalent SC network as Tesla does.

Indeed the Tesla SC network is selling Tesla cars by itself - IMHO. AND the SC network reached the 1K mark last month. Congratulations Tesla.

I'm not sure people forget that.

The reality just is, the real paradigm shift in BEV use is the home/work charging. For many people, 90%, perhaps close to 100% of the time charging overnight or over working day is sufficient.

Long-distance charging is a chore, even with Tesla's network. It is not a strong suit of BEVs anyway. But luckily many people don't really need long-distance driving that much...

A much, much, much bigger hindrance is that pretty much only Tesla sells large-battery BEVs at this time. Large battery will make the everyday driving easier, because you don't have to plan small detours and not even remember to charge daily...

Reactions: internalaudit

The reality just is, the real paradigm shift in BEV use is the home/work charging. For many people, 90%, perhaps close to 100% of the time charging overnight or over working day is sufficient.

Long-distance charging is a chore, even with Tesla's network. It is not a strong suit of BEVs anyway. But luckily many people don't really need long-distance driving that much...

A much, much, much bigger hindrance is that pretty much only Tesla sells large-battery BEVs at this time. Large battery will make the everyday driving easier, because you don't have to plan small detours and not even remember to charge daily...
Indeed long distance SC'ing may be a challenge, however imagine for a moment if it didn't exist.

Indeed long distance SC'ing may be a challenge, however imagine for a moment if it didn't exist.

I do, where I live it doesn't cover much and where it is available suitably, the charge time rarely works for me. I end up taking the ICE for many long distances, but then those are quite rare anyway...

No matter, people bought Teslas even before Superchargers where installed anywhere. People even buy commuting EVs with small batteries (with large batteries the commuting radius grows massively)...

Not everyone just drives long distance - and some who do, for them Supercharging won't solve it anyway.

Now, this does not mean there aren't people for whom Supercharging is a mandatory requirement. Sure there are. But in the meanwhile there is plenty of market to saturate with large-battery BEVs (of which there are pretty much none but Teslas today) even without SpC equivalents...

Bingo. I have little care for SCN since it is going to be more expensive than home charging and almost as expensive as refueling our toyota hybrid. I might as well take our hybrid on ultra long distance driving as it will be more convenient and will just cost a tad more for the few long distance travel I need, if at all. It is not free for Model 3 owners anyway. It is free for S and X owners because they prepaid for charging in the way of a price premium.

Other charging networks will catch up at least in terms of users per charging station. Maybe 2k on the SCN for 400k Teslas five years from now.

I do, where I live it doesn't cover much and where it is available suitably, the charge time rarely works for me. I end up taking the ICE for many long distances, but then those are quite rare anyway...

No matter, people bought Teslas even before Superchargers where installed anywhere. People even buy commuting EVs with small batteries (with large batteries the commuting radius grows massively)...

Not everyone just drives long distance - and some who do, for them Supercharging won't solve it anyway.

Now, this does not mean there aren't people for whom Supercharging is a mandatory requirement. Sure there are. But in the meanwhile there is plenty of market to saturate with large-battery BEVs (of which there are pretty much none but Teslas today) even without SpC equivalents...
I see what you are saying.

There is a new one going in @

Amiens, France
5144A Route d'Amiens

That might help you.

Bingo. I have little care for SCN since it is going to be more expensive than home charging and almost as expensive as refueling our toyota hybrid. It is not free for Model 3 owners anyway.

Other charging networks will catch up at least in terms of users per charging station. Maybe 2k on the SCN for 400k Teslas five years from now.
I see what you mean since there are absolutely NO SC's in eastern Canada yet.

I see what you mean since there are absolutely NO SC's in eastern Canada yet.

Not just about availability but also the cost of charging is 20 cents CAD per kWh on the SCN. At home night charging is about 12 cents. Former is equivalent to around 5-6 cents per km while our RAV4 hybrid costs around 7-8 cents.

So makes most sense to drive the hybrid cause the savings isn't that much with potential delays of having to queue at the SCN for a few hours once more Teslas are on the road.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Not just about availability but also the cost of charging is 20 cents CAD per kWh on the SCN. At home night charging is about 12 cents. Former is equivalent to around 5-6 cents per km while our RAV4 hybrid costs around 7-8 cents.

By contrast, our electricity is cheap, but our fuel is incredibly expensive. Even the most efficient hybrid cars don't come close to the operating costs of the most inefficient electric cars.

Every place is different.

with potential delays of having to queue at the SCN for a few hours once more Teslas are on the road.

There's no way Tesla is going to let that happen. Especially now that they're transforming Superchargers from loss leaders to profit centres.

Also, superchargers aren't just about trips: they're about security. The knowledge that if you have a supercharger somewhere around you, you don't have to worry about being stranded for hours if you mess up or have to make unexpected trips. Superchargers are to a non-trip-taker what CHAdeMOs are to a trip taker: not part of the plan, but you're glad that they're there if you need to use them.

Last edited:

those are small problems.
over 40% of households in this country rent.

By contrast, our electricity is cheap, but our fuel is incredibly expensive. Even the most efficient hybrid cars don't come close to the operating costs of the most inefficient electric cars.

Every place is different.

There's no way Tesla is going to let that happen. Especially now that they're transforming Superchargers from loss leaders to profit centres.

Also, superchargers aren't just about trips: they're about security. The knowledge that if you have a supercharger somewhere around you, you don't have to worry about being stranded for hours if you mess up or have to make unexpected trips. Superchargers are to a non-trip-taker what CHAdeMOs are to a trip taker: not part of the plan, but you're glad that they're there if you need to use them.

In North America, likely the largest car market after China, gasoline is still a good alternative to many.

If one has to pay, then the SCN is nothing but a non-generic L3 charging station. Other consortium will build their networks out, even oil companies like Shell have begun outfitting stations with EV chargers.

I would be agnostic to charging networks because nothing is free for me to use.

Lack of SCN is a non-issue for me. Wait until there are more BEVs out there. Tesla was right to bring Solar City into the fold as it has economies of scale there. It does not have the scale in car manufacturing as oem's like Bosch are coming out with EV motors that are more sophisticated with torque vectoring.

The point is taken but, the math's off though. It wouldn't be 200,000 x $7,500 next year. All of the Tesla Roadster, S, X and the few 3s that have ever been sold (and will be sold the rest of this year) in the US will count towards the initial 200,000.

See Federal Tax Credits for Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Cars (look for Phaseout).

I'd think somewhere around 40,000 Teslas may get the full credit next year. And, from thereon, it's by the quarter and not by number sold.

Personally, I don't think Congress will bother with this one.
The tax credit will most likely be full through June and half from July-December. That’s why I said 200,000 x $7500 and 200,000 x $3750, or $2.25 billion in lost revenue for the government. Republicans who talk about lower taxes should love the credit since it just gives back money you pay in and not someone else’s money.

I also based that on shipping 400k cars in the US next year which is probably not accurate but a nice round number to play with.

• Informative
Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
Most likely Chevy and Toyota will expand their chargers at the dealers. Should be L3's. But now the chargers in place (L2's), which most dealers let Teslas use for free happen to close at night and in some places on Sunday.
Who wants to go to a dealership and sit (for up to two and a half hours in a Chevy Bolt on DC fast charging) while on a long trip? Tesla is still the only option I’d consider.

Most likely Chevy and Toyota will expand their chargers at the dealers.

That's exactly what I suggested when VW made their EV announcement several months ago -- and people nearly lynched me about how bad an idea that is, and how it would never, ever happen. Fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I still think it makes the most sense for these ICE manufacturers with their huge dealer networks.

Most mainstream car dealers are in commercial districts near shopping centers, restaurants, etc... just like many of the Superchargers.. so nobody is really going to be "sitting at a dealer" no more than Tesla people are "sitting at superchargers" in their cars.

It is amazing how everyone Is in such a hurry, when you go on a long distance trip your usually on vacation and stoping for a bathroom break or food and relaxing should be part of your vacation. What’s the rush? You would be amazed at how many people that know about Tesla never heard of supercharging. I think that when most people hear a car is all electric the first thing that they think is where do I plug in. I know I have electricity at home but what do I do when I’m on the road, where do I get electricity.