Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dimensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean,,, look at this car. When I put the Audi A4 and the M3 side by side...I can't see how the M3 takes up all of that hood and trunk size of the A4.

It does it by having a larger passenger compartment. The Model 3 appears as if it will have only slightly less passenger room than the Model S. Here's a comparison between the S, 3 and 2017 Audi A4 (the top two pictures are from the identical photos of Model S and Model 3 that Motor Trend took. Those pictures also confirm the 184" length):

3comp.jpg

(It's funny. Posting this reminded my of this post I made back in October 2012. I wasn't too far off in my scaled down Model S: Blue Star Wish List).

Last edited:
It does it by having a larger passenger compartment.
This is a significant advantage to the dedicated EV architecture. The exterior dimensions of the Model 3 and A4 are very close, but I'm guessing the inside passenger volume will be a class apart. The Model 3 will be larger inside. When you combine that with the additional glass, the Model 3 will seem especially more open than the A4.

This is a significant advantage to the dedicated EV architecture. The exterior dimensions of the Model 3 and A4 are very close, but I'm guessing the inside passenger volume will be a class apart. The Model 3 will be larger inside. When you combine that with the additional glass, the Model 3 will seem especially more open than the A4.

I've been betting from the start that the interior will be mid-sized and the exterior would be compact-sized. With these latest photos, it definitely seems to be the case!

Reactions: Red Sage
I've been betting from the start that the interior will be mid-sized and the exterior would be compact-sized. With these latest photos, it definitely seems to be the case!
I look at it as the Model 3 exterior is mid-size and the interior is full-size! I think the 3 interior will feel as spacious as the S, with better rear seat headroom, and will measure out to having just slightly less interior space than the S. The S will of course have significantly more cargo space than the 3, and a more accessible trunk since it is a hatchback.

The 3 is going to both feel and measure to have a much larger interior than the A4.

Longer wheelbase than an Impala! That one threw me off. The wheelbase is comparable to a 2016 MB E-Class rather than the C class, It is a couple inches shorter than the 2017 E-Class

Thats the big disadvantage of the flat battery pack. If you want a big battery and don't want to add hight, like with the Bolt, you need a long wheelbase.
You also have to keep in mind that the car is narrower, than the S, but must still have the same supporting "cage" around the pack. So if you want to make the pack 90% the length and 90% the width, you'll end up with less than 81%. If they would have designed it just for a 55kWh pack, the wheelbase might have been shorter, but for a 70-80kWh pack, they will still need lots of wheelbase.

The advantage is that they don't have a big hump somewhere in the car, which I think would be worse than a long wheelbase.

Pack should be more volume efficient than the S/X pack because it will use larger cells, with less wasted space. I don't know if that will make up the 19% difference in floor pan area, though.

Just to be clear, he was talking about why they didn't do a different design. As designed the wheelbase is only about 3.5" shorter than the Model S and the car is about 3" less wide. The battery area is about 6% smaller than the Model S.

I thought someone would build a 3D model using the dozens of images available and photogrammetric analysis, and they have: 3D model of Tesla Model 3 2018. I'm assuming this was done through photogrammetry and that they weren't able to scan a vehicle -- with as many images as are available and with wheels available for size reference, there are several software packages that would allow you to do this, and you could readily confirm the accuracy via photo-matching. Now someone buy it for $75 and give us some dimensions . . .

So I came over here to have a look at what is going on. You wouldn't really be discussing dimensions for 14 pages, would you (on the old forum that would have been 28 pages!)? I was wrong. First post I saw was Model 3 Dimensions. It is interesting, actually -- from that chart it looks like the Model 3 has much better proportions than the Audi (the wheels on the Audi are a bit small). Once again I am reminded that it is so great that Tesla is making an EV which leverages the advantages of more cabin space etc rather than dropping an electric drivetrain in a standard ICE vehicle and calling it done.

Personally I find that numbers don't give a very good idea of what a vehicle feels like when you're in it. As long as I fit I'll buy it. There isn't another good option coming up in the forseeable future :p

Reactions: Red Sage
Even Leaf is classified as a midsize car.
I believe that the direct competition to Model ☰ are all considered to be Compact sedans: AUDI A4, BMW 3-Series, Cadillac ATS, Infiniti Q50, Jaguar XE, Lexus IS, and Mercedes-Benz C-Class. That is why I made the point of noting Model ☰ will probably be Midsize. For the sake of comparison, the AUDI A8 and Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class, despite their tremendous overall length, are each Compact cars per the EPA.

For the sake of comparison, the AUDI A8 and Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class, despite their tremendous overall length, are each Compact cars per the EPA.
I found that so surprising that I had a quick look at Fuel Economy. It says the A8 L is in the "large sedans" category, as one would expect. The size class table they give (Find-a-Car Help) cites passenger and cargo volume. Q3, A3, A4 and S4 are the only compact Audis they list.

I realize fueleconomy.gov is DOE, not EPA, but they do list size class as "EPA size class"?

I found that so surprising that I had a quick look at Fuel Economy. It says the A8 L is in the "large sedans" category, as one would expect. The size class table they give (Find-a-Car Help) cites passenger and cargo volume. Q3, A3, A4 and S4 are the only compact Audis they list.

I realize fueleconomy.gov is DOE, not EPA, but they do list size class as "EPA size class"?
AUDI was, I think, embarrassed that a car (Model S) so many compare in size to their A6/A7 was classified as a LARGE car, while the A8 was only a MIDSIZE car in the same class, that they just gave up and discontinued the A8 as of the 2016 model year. They only offer the A8 L in the US now, their 'extended wheelbase' version of the car. I believe AUDI felt exposed, because their other competitors, Porsche Panamera, BMW 7-Series, and Mercedes-Benz S-Class, are all classified as LARGE even without selecting their extended wheelbase versions. Check the EPA's website again, for the 2015 A8, and you'll see what I mean.

FYI #1... The Lexus LS is also only MIDSIZE, unless you get the extended wheelbase 'L' version.

FYI #2... If you read the header again, it reads on the left 'US Department of Energy'... and on the right side, it says, 'Office of Transportation & Air Quality | US Environmental Protection Agency'. You were in the right place.

AUDI was, I think, embarrassed that a car (Model S) so many compare in size to their A6/A7 was classified as a LARGE car, while the A8 was only a MIDSIZE car in the same class, that they just gave up and discontinued the A8 as of the 2016 model year. They only offer the A8 L in the US now, their 'extended wheelbase' version of the car. I believe AUDI felt exposed, because their other competitors, Porsche Panamera, BMW 7-Series, and Mercedes-Benz S-Class, are all classified as LARGE even without selecting their extended wheelbase versions. Check the EPA's website again, for the 2015 A8, and you'll see what I mean.
Yep, interesting. 2015 A8 is listed as a midsize, A8 L as a large. Not a compact though.
FYI #2... If you read the header again, it reads on the left 'US Department of Energy'... and on the right side, it says, 'Office of Transportation & Air Quality | US Environmental Protection Agency'. You were in the right place.
Noted, thanks.

Has anyone made a guess on model 3 width compared to model S? I assume it is significantly narrower.

I would guess that the Model ☰ is roughly three-to-four inches wider than A4, ATS, 3-Series, IS, and XE competitors. So, maybe 75" to 76".

72.2 -- Cadillac ATS
72.0 -- BMW 3-Series
72.5 -- AUDI A4
71.3 -- Lexus IS
72.8 -- Jaguar XE

On a related note, might Tesla be designing for one battery pack for all cars?
I do not believe the Generation III battery packs will be used in Generation II cars at all. Just as the Model S battery pack is not used in the Tesla Roadster. Some years from now, the technology used in Generation III cars may be adapted for use in Generation II though. So, formulation of battery cells, battery management systems, and power control systems in Model S and Model X might be upgraded at some point.