TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 Electric Motor

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by wallet.dat, Sep 3, 2015.

1. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

As I understand it the Model 3 will employ the front motor found in the D versions of the Model S. Does anybody know how much power potential this motor actually has? I remember reading that the front motor is a lot more efficient than the older rear motor, and I strongly suspect (if from nothing more than a gut feeling) that Tesla is sandbagging the thing at 259hp. Even at that level though, a dual motor setup in the Model 3 will still be 518hp. However, it would be nice to see them turn up the wick on the motor(s), if there's more power to be made.

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Anything at this point is speculation. We are just guessing that the S front motor would make sense for Model 3, but for all we know it will be something all new.

3. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

In '18 S and X will already have different motors and controlers, why would E get the current motor?
    Tesla will continue to improve the motors in various important aspects. They design and make the motors, why stop the design?

4. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

i think acceleration will be mainly determined by the size of the battery and then the amount of motors (so 1 vs 2 vs 4) rather than anything else...

5. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

I don't recall having said it would receive an older version of the front motor found in the MSD. From what I've read in various threads in this forum, the motor should go through at least one more iteration before the 3 is released.

6. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

I don't think the motor is the issue. Even with the P85D and P90DL, power is limited by how much energy the battery can supply the motors. The Model 3 won't have as many cells as the MS (due to size) so the maximum energy delivered using current 18650 cells/chemistry would be less. But a smaller and lighter car could get away with less power.

We'll have to see what happens with the gigafactory and what new chemistry/cells they will produce with higher energy draw or capacity. After 3 years, we've moved from 85KW to 90KW, I was hoping we'd be at 100KW by now..

7. phigment

phigment Member

Any idea how much weight changing from aluminum to steel would add to the weight of the car?

8. Objective1

Objective1 Member

I don't know about weight change, but I've wondered if their vow to use steel may go by the board. They are learning a lot about aluminium and may find as the trade weight, cost, and ease of manufacture to go with what brung 'em.

9. ryanjm

ryanjm Tesla Podcast Host

IIRC the only direct quote from Tesla was that they would incorporate "more" steel into the 3 than the S or X. Not that the entire car would be steel. Maybe it will be, but maybe (hopefully) it won't.

10. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

I desperately hope that Model 3 is mostly aluminum. I want Model 3 to be a "different" car from others. Aluminum construction is just one more thing to differentiate it from normal cars.

11. GSP

GSP Member

Elon or JB has said the Model III will have a new design motor. It will incorporate learnings from the original Model S, and the D motors. Compared to the latest D motors, I would expect lower cost, longer life, more reliability, and maybe a tad more range.

GSP

12. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Member

With the Ford F-150 going aluminum, I don't know how "special" it is anymore. Kind of like LED headlights. Heck, they come on a Toyota Corolla now. I really don't care if it's made out of bamboo, as long as it delivers the desired attributes. My guess is the roof, hood and liftback might be aluminum, but the primary structure and body will probably be steel.