Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Energy Usage Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 energy usage data

Created this Model 3 Energy usage survey hoping that it might help some people see how much energy they are using relative to others. Also particularly curious how much more energy AWD uses than RWD with real world data factoring in things like location / AC.

I will publish my results here, on reddit, and any relevant facebook groups once I have a significant number of entries (enough in order to make charts/visualizations which are meaningful).

energy-usage.jpg

It might be time to review energy consumption for Model 3:

Elon Musk says the battery size is about 75 kWh.

Numbers in EPA could be used to do a quick calculation for the battery size:

350V x 230 Ah = 80.5 kWh

Both AWD and AWD Performance have the same numbers:

116 MPGe combined

29 kWh / 100 mi

310 rated mile range

Those two are both less efficient than RWD:

130 MPGe combined

26 kWh / 100 mi

310 rated mile range

upload_2018-10-5_21-34-31.png

Would someone please help me out with the math of Model 3 LR

26 kWh / 100 miles = 0.260 kWh / mile or 260 Wh /mi

So I assume, if I drive carefully at an exact consumption rate of 260 Wh / miles for 310 miles:

0.260 kWh /mi x 310 miles = 80.6 kWh

That's pretty much close to 80.5 kWh battery size calculation above, isn't it?

So I assume, if I drive carefully at an exact consumption rate of 260 Wh / miles for 310 miles:

Keep in mind that the 310 mile rating was never arrived at by the EPA. That number was a result of Tesla choosing to derate the actual measurements and you can't back into any other numbers with it unless you apply the derated value too.

If you drive “carefully” (conservatively) you will get MUCH better consumption than 260Wh/mi. I drive like a maniac a lot of the time, constantly doing max acceleration when I can, and my lifetime average efficiency over the past 6 months is only 237Wh/mi. Many others here have numbers below 220Wh/mi because they drive like normal people. If you’re averaging over 250Wh/mi and don’t have the performance Model 3 then you should probably go a little bit easier when driving.

Reactions: Tam
Model 3 energy usage data

Created this Model 3 Energy usage survey hoping that it might help some people see how much energy they are using relative to others. Also particularly curious how much more energy AWD uses than RWD with real world data factoring in things like location / AC.

I will publish my results here, on reddit, and any relevant facebook groups once I have a significant number of entries (enough in order to make charts/visualizations which are meaningful).

View attachment 341238
Version 9 has an energy meter.

it would be beneficial to use that.

Whoops, typed this up last night but I forgot to hit post haha.

Here's the EPA test show 78270 Wh -> https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=40001&flag=1
Here's the EPA doc (page 3) -> https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=42148&flag=1
Nominal Battery Voltage 350v * Capacity (Amps) 230 = 80.5 kWh.

80.5kWh is as measured from the wall with a minimum of 12 hours being plugged in. It includes charging losses and any other drains that may pull from wall energy.

That's incorrect check my sources above.

Lifetime since delivery in June is 210 Wh/mile over ~ 9k miles.
Winter will be a different story.
I was averaging about 225 Wh/mi until around version 9 update. Now my average energy use is over 265 Wh/mi driving exactly the same as before in the same conditions. Have you found the same thing in your model 3? If not I will need to take my vehicle in because it definitely uses significantly more energy now.

Lifetime since delivery in June is 210 Wh/mile over ~ 9k miles.
Winter will be a different story.
I was averaging about 225 Wh/mi until the version 9 update. Now my average energy use is over 265 Wh/mi driving exactly the same as before in the same conditions. Have you found the same thing in your model 3? If not I will need to take my vehicle in because it definitely uses significantly more energy now.

It might be time to review energy consumption for Model 3:

Elon Musk says the battery size is about 75 kWh.

Numbers in EPA could be used to do a quick calculation for the battery size:

350V x 230 Ah = 80.5 kWh

Both AWD and AWD Performance have the same numbers:

116 MPGe combined

29 kWh / 100 mi

310 rated mile range

Those two are both less efficient than RWD:

130 MPGe combined

26 kWh / 100 mi

310 rated mile range

View attachment 341302

There is something very fishy about the numbers. If the EPA numbers are correct then the battery would have to be at least 260 Wh/mi X 335 miles = $87.1 Kw in the RWD which I doubt. Remember the EPA actual range of the RWD LR was 335 miles on a charge not 310. Which is why the difference on the paperwork between the RWD and AWD. Elon didn't want that stated because the AWD couldn't attain the same range. Based on the EPA numbers the AWD only has a range of 309. And by the way, to obtain 310 miles in the AWD based on EPA numbers would require a 90 Kw battery. 290 X 310 = 89.9 Kw. Numbers are fishy!