Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oooof, I couldn't stop reading this thread either :)

As someone with a vested interest in the keyfob, I believe they're launching with the prox card, and will offer a keyfob later as an option. As others have said, the mobile app is slow, but could work with Bluetooth. NFC isn't an option as Apple won't open that up, try holding your iPhone up to any card reader in an office, it'll try to ApplePay it :) At home I use August locks (which aren't the most reliable, but still...), they unlock either based on geolocation of the phone, or bluetooth connectivity. Assuming Tesla can make it reliable, I'd have no problem with using my phone as the main 'key' (fingerprint protected), and the prox card as a backup. Maybe we'll find out in ~28hrs, but then again, we probably won't :)
I imagine if they are giving test rides, someone will ask...

This is what my bet is. Why haven't we seen them testing the fob? Because there's nothing new there, it'll work the same way it always has. What's important is that they get working hardware so that when they are ready to implement the Tesla Network, they can. I think that's what these key cards are all about.

Now it makes sense. Fob for the original owner and cheaper key cards for Tesla Network riders. That's one way of ID'ing before welcoming someone in your car.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
Well, then that's an area for substantial improvement in standby power.... a small arm core talking to an efficient cell modem uses much less than half a Watt of power to be ready for cellular data. This represents a vampire drain rate of ~0.01 percent per day...
If having the modem up is using a noticeable amount of power, there needs to be a serious design review.
Come on.

2%-3% That's nothing. I wouldn't care if it were 5%. There is no design review necessary. The Model S gets safely over 200 miles per charge. If you can't get where you are going within lets say 180 miles....then find another means of transportation.

It keeps the busses awake also in order to pull CAN data. I suspect this is where the majority of power drain comes from. The newer builds are more efficient.
Why are you calling it power drain?

TV's , Cell Phones, Watches, Computers, and all kinds of technology remain in some kind of standby mode without people calling it power drain. Why is a car different?

Why isn't anyone complaining that their talk time on their cell phone is being limited by power drain?

Lets move on please.

Firstly, my post was not a "complaint" of any kind. Secondly, you may call it what you wish but "power drain" is an accurate descriptor. Would you prefer "ancillary power draw"?
First of all, I didn't say "complaint". I said disagree.

Lastly....My question to everyone is "Do you call "the power that your cell phone looses on standby" power drain? No, you just accept it. Why say that an EV car on standby power drains the battery?

First of all, I didn't say "complaint". I said disagree.

Lastly....My question to everyone is "Do you call "the power that your cell phone looses on standby" power drain? No, you just accept it. Why say that an EV car on standby power drains the battery?

Because the phone is still serving it's primary purpose, allowing people to call me. When I get back to the airport and find my parked car now no longer has the range to get home even though it was sitting doing absolutely nothing, I call it power drain.

I was thinking the same thing and in addition to that, if the card is NFC and most phones are NFC, it makes sense that most people could just use their phone as their key. And for ride sharing, versus having a card, the app would simply communicate with the car via NFC so your car would show up and the Tesla app would communicate with the car via NFC to tell it you're it's passenger.

Also did I mention NFC? :-D

Hey I was kind of right! This never happens. Model 3 uses your phone for entry and comes with a keycard in case your phone is dead.

From the Electrek article, that explains that extra sensor people were wondering about. It's for the key card.
3key-e1501292602287.jpg

They're still using the term "keyless entry", but have redefined it to be other than what the industry provides.

It is a strange redefinition of the term "keyless entry" if you ask me. Keyless entry exists, but its gated behind a smartphone app and battery draining bluetooth. If you solely use the keycard, its not keyless. They can call it keyless, but its like the Metro calling their preloaded cards "contactless".

• Disagree
Reactions: Runt8
I'll admit I am also bummed that it won't come with a fob that looks like the Model 3. Was looking forward to that. Now how are they going to reassure folks that the BT signal can't get hacked and their car taken.... Though I guess the same could be said of NFC...