Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like I said above, IFTTT could be option, assuming you have cell coverage (my office garage doesn't have :( ).

IFTTT would detect proximity to the car and unlock the door when you're <10 feet from the car. We'd be talking about second or two response at max, much faster than typical BT pairing. Although if active, BT could ping you further out, typical range is fairly good. But that would drain your battery if it pings actively all the time. IFTTT could do push style to the car data modem so it'd work perfect.

I think there's already some IFTTT services for MS/MX, so they could expand those to M3 also.

Anytime the vehicle is sleeping it will not have connectivity of any kind (Bluetooth, LTE).

None of this precludes also having a FOB.
This is what my bet is. Why haven't we seen them testing the fob? Because there's nothing new there, it'll work the same way it always has. What's important is that they get working hardware so that when they are ready to implement the Tesla Network, they can. I think that's what these key cards are all about.

I don't know exactly the mechanism, but as a Model S owner I'll tell you that 40 seconds for the app to connect seems optimistic. It seems like longer than that to me.
It just seems weird to me that they wouldn't keep the cell modem on all the time - I don't see an upside to doing it other than an insignificant amount of saved battery life. And resorting to text messages to wake up the modem seems like a very unnecessary complication.

A "/s" at the end is usually sufficient.
I was referring to his sarcasm, and my resulting snarkiness :oops:

It just seems weird to me that they wouldn't keep the cell modem on all the time - I don't see an upside to doing it other than an insignificant amount of saved battery life. And resorting to text messages to wake up the modem seems like a very unnecessary complication.

I was referring to his sarcasm, and my resulting snarkiness :oops:

It's not insignificant. My MS consumes 2-3x the standby power if the LTE radio is kept awake with "Always Connected" checked.

When the vehicle sleeps it does several things:
1. Turns off the IC
2. Powers down radios and suspends certain processes on the CID
3. Sleeps the buses

It's not insignificant. My MS consumes 2-3x the standby power if the LTE radio is kept awake with "Always Connected" checked.

When the vehicle sleeps it does several things:
1. Turns off the IC
2. Powers down radios and suspends certain processes on the CID
3. Sleeps the buses

Well, then that's an area for substantial improvement in standby power.... a small arm core talking to an efficient cell modem uses much less than half a Watt of power to be ready for cellular data. This represents a vampire drain rate of ~0.01 percent per day...
If having the modem up is using a noticeable amount of power, there needs to be a serious design review.

Reactions: Runt8
Well, then that's an area for substantial improvement in standby power.... a small arm core talking to an efficient cell modem uses much less than half a Watt of power to be ready for cellular data. This represents a vampire drain rate of ~0.01 percent per day...
If having the modem up is using a noticeable amount of power, there needs to be a serious design review.

It keeps the busses awake also in order to pull CAN data. I suspect this is where the majority of power drain comes from. The newer builds are more efficient.

Oooof, I couldn't stop reading this thread either :)

As someone with a vested interest in the keyfob, I believe they're launching with the prox card, and will offer a keyfob later as an option. As others have said, the mobile app is slow, but could work with Bluetooth. NFC isn't an option as Apple won't open that up, try holding your iPhone up to any card reader in an office, it'll try to ApplePay it :) At home I use August locks (which aren't the most reliable, but still...), they unlock either based on geolocation of the phone, or bluetooth connectivity. Assuming Tesla can make it reliable, I'd have no problem with using my phone as the main 'key' (fingerprint protected), and the prox card as a backup. Maybe we'll find out in ~28hrs, but then again, we probably won't :)

• Funny
Reactions: mknoebel