Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like I said above, IFTTT could be option, assuming you have cell coverage (my office garage doesn't have :( ).

IFTTT would detect proximity to the car and unlock the door when you're <10 feet from the car. We'd be talking about second or two response at max, much faster than typical BT pairing. Although if active, BT could ping you further out, typical range is fairly good. But that would drain your battery if it pings actively all the time. IFTTT could do push style to the car data modem so it'd work perfect.

I think there's already some IFTTT services for MS/MX, so they could expand those to M3 also.

I'm not sure why some people think a smartphone will be the primary device for unlocking and starting the car (and, thus, reacting accordingly). I have an app on my mobile device that can be used to display a program guide, change channels and set recordings on my DVR, but I don't use it as the primary device for those functions. I have a dedicated remote control for that. Likewise, there will be some dedicated device for unlocking/starting your car, be it a fob or card.

A better solution.........

upload_2017-7-26_12-1-15.jpeg

Reactions: alevek
Reddit poster who called this 3 weeks ago had this to say:

Can confirm 100% Model 3 has a Key Card that is not plastic but a thick metal matte finish that you will swipe the card against the door panel for entry. The app on android and iPhone are the alternatives...

It was designed to be affordable to replace. Current fobs range from $399 - $499 to replace.
Model S Fob is like 100$ to replace...

• Informative
Reactions: Lem89 and apacheguy
I keep seeing all these posts saying how stupid the conversation is. I don't understand this. When I go to a movie that is stupid, I walk out. Others may be enjoying it still. I keep seeing people posting that we just need to wait until Friday and then we will know so why speculate? Where would the internet be if everyone kept speculation to themselves? All those Mac Rumors, Star Wars Theories, Corvette Spy Photos? What in the world is driving people to ask others to put a lid on it? It's SO EASY to avoid reading speculation, it's not like being at work the day AFTER Game of Thrones is released and YOU haven't seen it yet. Then I can understand asking people to shut up.

-Randy

Post on the Tesla subreddit claims that there IS a key card and that you scan it on the driver's side B-pillar
Tesla Model 3 Screen and Key Card Seen Ahead of Launch - Tekopia

If this is the case, I'm pretty dumbfounded. I get that the Model 3 will be heavily integrated into the Tesla Network, but IMHO at the cost of Model 3 owners who have little to no intention with sharing the vehicle with anyone outside their household.

Scanning the key card or launching a mobile app to unlock the car (and possibly making it go) is like using an actual metal key and inserting into the lock of the car door, before remotes were even a thing. It doesn't make sense to me when economy cars have traditional keyless entry/start as an option, if not standard. Door unlocks when I grab it the handle, press a button to go, press again to stop, lock the car by touching the handle. Doesn't get much more simple than that.

Hopefully this post and I am wrong, and that a traditional fob is offered as a relatively inexpensive option, if not standard with the car like it should be.

Reactions: kavyboy
Post on the Tesla subreddit claims that there IS a key card and that you scan it on the driver's side B-pillar

If this is the case, I'm pretty dumbfounded. I get that the Model 3 will be heavily integrated into the Tesla Network, but IMHO at the cost of Model 3 owners who have little to no intention with sharing the vehicle with anyone outside their household.

Scanning the key card or launching a mobile app to unlock the car (and possibly making it go) is like using an actual metal key and inserting into the lock of the car door, before remotes were even a thing. It doesn't make sense to me when economy cars have traditional keyless entry/start as an option, if not standard. Door unlocks when I grab it the handle, press a button to go, press again to stop, lock the car by touching the handle. Doesn't get much more simple than that.

Hopefully this post and I am wrong, and that a traditional fob is offered as a relatively inexpensive option, if not standard with the car like it should be.

the model 3 is designed for autonomy as like a #1 goal, see elon's "how often do you look at the center console in a taxi" reasoning for lack of dash display/info

Reactions: zenmaster

If they use Bluetooth to your phone it will work exactly like that. Current experience is an app via the internet, so it's slow. Model X fobs however are already Bluetooth, so experience could be exactly the same minus the fob buttons (which would require the app). Phone just has to be in your pocket and it works like any fob, press a button and trunk/door opens. Keycard stays in your wallet as a backup for phone problems, valets, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: lukex4 and cdub

Tesla will do anything to save a buck, including ditching dedicated rain sensors.

A smart access system is a must for the 3 . Having to scan anything or open an app to get in the car would be stupid.
Basic economy cars have smart key .

A card key is a feature / accessory for many Lexus models for years . It uses the same tech as the smar fob has a battery inside it and allows access and push button starting just by having it in your wallet. No action necessary but to grab the door handle no then push the start button.

I would miss looking back at the vehicle after closing the door and walking away by pressing the key fob once to check if the door closed. Unfortunately, the 2017 Model S is so air tight that not every door close is successful. (The service center reports it is operating within specification.) When the lights flash 3 times, the door is ajar. The single flash verifies the proper locked state of the vehicle.

Agreed. I use my key right now all the time as I'm walking across the parking let from 15 - 20 feet away to unlock the trunk so I can put stuff in it, or to unlock the doors so I can just open it and get in. I can do it by feel using just one hand. Anything less convenient than that is a step backwards, regardless of whether or not it's a fob or a card. The last thing I want to do is have to stand out in the rain for an extra few seconds while my phone negotiates with the car to let me in.
Or you could just summon your car to the door and hardly need to walk in the rain at all. ;)

Reactions: dsvick