Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a strange redefinition of the term "keyless entry" if you ask me. Keyless entry exists, but its gated behind a smartphone app and battery draining bluetooth. If you solely use the keycard, its not keyless. They can call it keyless, but its like the Metro calling their preloaded cards "contactless".
I disagree. If I don’t have to take anything out of my pocket to unlock and start the car, then it’s keyless, regardless of if it’s using a fob or a phone.

Reactions: Alketi
I disagree. If I don’t have to take anything out of my pocket to unlock and start the car, then it’s keyless, regardless of if it’s using a fob or a phone.

What? That's exactly what I said. If you use the smartphone app, its keyless. The Model 3 is not keyless if you solely use the keycard.

Per the Electrek article:

"the Model 3 will be Bluetooth connected to the owner phone in order to unlock the doors as they approach."

So does that clearly mean that you don't have to open the app and command an unlock? The phone will pair and unlock the doors automatically without the person having to take any affirmative action?

Assuming that's the case (anything else would be a disaster, IMO), I just want to know how effective (i.e., fast, reliable, and reliably fast) the Bluetooth auto-unlock feature will be.

It takes several seconds for my phone to pair with a set of headphones. And it takes an ungodly amount of time to sync with my Volt's stereo.

I have no concept of the technical stuff of how a phone via Bluetooth would work for unlocking a vehicle. But if it adds even 1 second to the time needed to open the door compared to a FOB, that would be a huge fail IMO.

On the other hand, if it works seamlessly, quickly, and reliably, I would consider it a very nice feature, as it would allow me to eliminate a bulky FOB from my pocket.

"the Model 3 will be Bluetooth connected to the owner phone in order to unlock the doors as they approach."

So does that clearly mean that you don't have to open the app and command an unlock? The phone will pair and unlock the doors automatically without the person having to take any affirmative action?

Assuming that's the case (anything else would be a disaster, IMO), I just want to know how effective (i.e., fast, reliable, and reliably fast) the Bluetooth auto-unlock feature will be.

It takes several seconds for my phone to pair with a set of headphones. And it takes an ungodly amount of time to sync with my Volt's stereo.

I have no concept of the technical stuff of how a phone via Bluetooth would work for unlocking a vehicle. But if it adds even 1 second to the time needed to open the door compared to a FOB, that would be a huge fail IMO.

On the other hand, if it works seamlessly, quickly, and reliably, I would consider it a very nice feature, as it would allow me to eliminate a bulky FOB from my pocket.

I assume it uses NFC

I am baffled they made this decision, it's ****ing awful on so many levels. I'd gladly pay the going Model S replacement fob price to have a normal fob that just works, rather than rely on having my phone charged, BT enabled, etc. And I don't need another goddamned RFID badge. One (for work) is bulky enough, two is just stupid. But I can't risk leaving the house without the RFID since my phone battery might die, or get broken, or whatever. Between this and having to potentially pay $5k for the one or two options I'm interested in the PUP (if I wanted everything, it's arguably a great price), I'd be tempted to cancel my reservation, except - what else am I going to buy next? I can't afford the S/X, but that car I want is almost 60k, and the car I can stand to live with is still over 50k. Was hoping to get the features I wanted for closer to 45k, but that just doesn't seem possible, and bone headed moves with the RFID "keyless" just aren't helping.

I know they're anti-selling, but they're anti-selling me from Tesla, not upselling me to S/X.

If the antennas are any good, BT can start pairing at ~100ft (30m). Meaning even if it takes >5 seconds, it's done before you reach the car. That'd be perfect for me.

Hope there's a good settings menu to adjust phone/car features. I can live with this so long as it unlocks fast and is secure, because if my phone becomes a key I want to make sure the car needs a password to start the car and not just the presence of the phone.

Last edited:

How many people with cars in this price range use a FOB as the normal way to open their car door, rather than a smart key system.

I sure don't.

If you get to the car, and it's unlocked because it paired with your phone when you were 50 feet away, that's better than every car not named Model S or X

-smak-

I am baffled they made this decision, it's ****ing awful on so many levels. I'd gladly pay the going Model S replacement fob price to have a normal fob that just works, rather than rely on having my phone charged, BT enabled, etc. And I don't need another goddamned RFID badge. One (for work) is bulky enough, two is just stupid. But I can't risk leaving the house without the RFID since my phone battery might die, or get broken, or whatever. Between this and having to potentially pay $5k for the one or two options I'm interested in the PUP (if I wanted everything, it's arguably a great price), I'd be tempted to cancel my reservation, except - what else am I going to buy next? I can't afford the S/X, but that car I want is almost 60k, and the car I can stand to live with is still over 50k. Was hoping to get the features I wanted for closer to 45k, but that just doesn't seem possible, and bone headed moves with the RFID "keyless" just aren't helping.

I know they're anti-selling, but they're anti-selling me from Tesla, not upselling me to S/X.

Why not just buy a used model s?

In all likelihood, the Model 3 isn't using Bluetooth it's using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE).

On both Android and iOS, BLE scanning uses negligible power, and it's on by default on both for location (iBeacon or Eddystone).

I think it's safe to assume that you won't need to get your phone out to unlock or start the Model 3.

To me, this is a great design - less crap in my pocket and a key card in my wallet as a backup.

I'm trying hard to love the Model 3, but this is a downer for me. It isn't keyless if your phone is dead. It isn't keyless if you have a cart full of groceries and need to access the trunk.

I too was looking forward to having a key FOB that looked like the Model 3 but was preparing myself to accept anything at all. But nothing? Can it at least be an add on for $100? I mean I don't think I will cancel my reservation over this, but I don't know its a bit disappointing. I keep my head up through all the negative press, shake my head reading the comments on the forum even after the reveal that say "This sucks and not impressed". But I admit this was my low point for the reveal (well after reading it in a blog).

Also now if you lose your phone its like losing your car keys as well. Even if your phone is locked with a fingerprint and password protection. With it having a charge someone can nick your phone and just drive off in your Model 3. I haven't used the Tesla app yet, but have read a lot about it from you guys. It sounds like any car app (I use the BMW one now) it takes a bit to connect and takes a bit to send commands. BMW app is the same way, you are just waiting its not instant. Since I haven't used it yet I'm trying hard not to judge too much, but I guess I will just say they are going to really need to continue refining the app (something BMW doesn't do at all the app is horrible) since the app is a major lifeline of the car. I would be interested in hearing others thoughts?B

My phone is always unlocked if it has my vehicle's Bluetooth connected.
Now my next car will always be unlocked if it has my phone's Bluetooth connected.

Bluetooth can easily pair from at least 10 meters away.
And latest BT version can do it within a second or two.