Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Free Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the time frame I purchased my M3 I was given free Supercharging for xYears. Does anyone else still receive the free supercharging after the expiration date ?? Also what latest software are you on ?? I have not updated my software on the car as of yet to hopefully keep the free supercharging until a little longer.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Free Supercharging for a finite length of time or distance should not be affected by a software release. The same applies to free unlimited Supercharging (for the first owner). In other words, you staying with an old version forever does not mean you will continue to have free Supercharging forever.

As it appears from the wording of your post that you are still getting free Supercharging past the expiration date, Tesla will eventually figure it out and start charging you $$$ for your Supercharging sessions. I was never granted any free Supercharging but several long distance charges were free, along with some local ones.

Go look at your online Tesla account and check Dashboard / Manage link related to your car / Details. The pop up will show what kind of Supercharging Network Access you have:

CarDetails.jpg

Picked my M3P 12/29/20 and just went and tried to charge as I don't use superchargers often and it was still free, no charge or didn't show any pricing besides $0.00 during my charging session. Awesome!!

ok you guys got me all curious now

im going to supercharge this weekend and see if its still free for me (havent tried supercharging in 2022 yet since my free charging was supposed to end dec 31)

EDIT: just checked my account details and it says "Time Bound Supercharging" without an end date

Last edited:
I charged for about 100 miles of range on Tuesday and it was still free for me. With gasoline almost $4/gallon for super around here and my old car getting around 16mpg, that's a pretty nice savings. I do lose about 9 miles per day with the car sitting around idle in the cold weather though.

I charged for about 100 miles of range on Tuesday and it was still free for me. With gasoline almost $4/gallon for super around here and my old car getting around 16mpg, that's a pretty nice savings. I do lose about 9 miles per day with the car sitting around idle in the cold weather though.
do you charge at the same SC location? Pretty awesome you have free sc!

Seems like my timebound free supercharging ended today. Anyone else started getting prices when clicking on a super charger?
I had the 1 year free (which expired at beginning of year and I haven't tried supercharging since) and I just checked and it now shows Time Bound Supercharging (but no date). A quick google didn't show what that was supposed to mean, but I'm not about to dig (will find out next time when I happen to supercharge out of necessity). I'm in CA, where Tesla can bill by kWh, so I don't think that it is time based payment is the correct explanation.

Unfortunately I didn't pay attention if previously supercharger stations showed prices or not, but I'll check when I have the chance in the weekend to see if it shows it now (which may not prove anything, as may be related to updates or it might have showed it previously).

Last edited:
Reactions: TrooperCA