Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Handover Event -- July 28, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Preferred by whom? Where I live, my phone has to be turned on, find the carrier, try to connect to Tesla, which then has to wake up the car. This takes over a minute. Compare that to just walking up to the S with the fob in pocket or purse. Time: about one second. Same with backing the unoccupied car out of a tight parking space. A couple seconds hold on fob, car flashes, starts backing. Phone takes a minute at least. Bluetooth? The fob can reach the car from across the parking lot.

Not everyone has a smart phone. I got one when I got the S. But the fob takes up a lot less room in a pocket.

Good point. People take their cars in areas with little or no cell signal too.
I believe it would be paired via Bluetooth and would not require a cellular signal. The X fobs already use Bluetooth.

I think those were for employees and were probably the Model 3 prints that reservation holders already received. I didn't see any non-employees with envelopes.
Thanks. That actually confirms what I suspected, but I was just double checking.

By the way, Franz (and his wife) were out and about socializing with the referral winners and guests. Nice of him to make himself available like that !

If the PUP includes wood decor does that mean the standard isn't wood but something else? I know not everyone likes the wood look of the dashboard.

I want to upgrade to the premium package but I can't stand the wood so I'm in a tough place. I still think all the great bonuses with the upgrade is worth the (subjectively) ugly wood in my opinion, but still, kinda lame. Can't win em all I guess.

I believe it would be paired via Bluetooth and would not require a cellular signal. The X fobs already use Bluetooth.
I love the fact that my X wakes up every time I get near it but the downside is you go through a lot of FOB batteries unless your Tesla is parked far enough away that it isn't constantly in contact with the FOB. I ended up getting an RF blocking (Faraday Cage) pouch to keep the FOB in when I am spending a lot of time in my garage. I don't think this is as much a problem for the S as the S doesn't have the auto opening doors, so may not be as much of a problem for the 3 as well. But you probably need to keep a replacement battery in the car in case. It is nice that you can unlock and start the Tesla from your phone but as others have pointed out you need cell service for that to work at least currently.

I love the fact that my X wakes up every time I get near it but the downside is you go through a lot of FOB batteries unless your Tesla is parked far enough away that it isn't constantly in contact with the FOB. I ended up getting an RF blocking (Faraday Cage) pouch to keep the FOB in when I am spending a lot of time in my garage. I don't think this is as much a problem for the S as the S doesn't have the auto opening doors, so may not be as much of a problem for the 3 as well. But you probably need to keep a replacement battery in the car in case. It is nice that you can unlock and start the Tesla from your phone but as others have pointed out you need cell service for that to work at least currently.
Aluminium foil works.

Do we know what is in the base version is less ugly than the wood? Don't think we've ever seen it have we?
People really obsess over that wood. As with the X and S there will be aftermarket customizations. I wasn't a fan of the wood look and luckily Dark Ash was an option in my X, but there are several websites that will offer accessories to change it. And this is a simple one. See tsportline.com evannex.com and others.

40 pictures from the Motor Trend article, including the frunk and trunk. Scroll down the article to select the pictures.

Exclusive: Tesla Model 3 First Drive Review - Motor Trend

Looks a bit like the interior of the BMW i3 with the wood dash ... not too bad really :cool:

upload_2017-7-30_9-4-46.png

People really obsess over that wood. As with the X and S there will be aftermarket customizations. I wasn't a fan of the wood look and luckily Dark Ash was an option in my X, but there are several websites that will offer accessories to change it. And this is a simple one. See tsportline.com evannex.com and others.

I don't mind it against the black, but I think it will look terrible with white. It's too light.

I'm not really a fan of cramming wood into cars in general.

Considering that the Model 3 doesn't have FOBs, you won't have any problem with the batteries running dead. :)

Yes!
Less technical people may not realize that the new credit card near field communication device is actually powered up by an electrical field from the car. Apparently there is a reader in the door pillar as well as the center console.

I assume if left in a wallet in a right back pocket that it is designed to be read by the console for starting. Seems a little male oriented, but I approve. I'm confused where women keep their credit cards when they are not carrying a purse.......

Considering that the Model 3 doesn't have FOBs, you won't have any problem with the batteries running dead. :)
You may be correct but card or fob, if it is proximitry is going to use battery in constant communication with the car. If it is just low power RFID and doesn't work unless you are right up to the 3 then that is different. We shall see.