Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Handover Event -- July 28, 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They didn't show off the performance potential much at this event. Only P100D Model S were going on the test track, with Model 3 relegated to slower crawls around the parking lot. Still, I was able to sit in both front and back, and found it very comfortable. Rear seating is a bit cramped, but expected in a smaller car like this, and still adequate even for a big adult.

The cars felt really solid, and had a pleasantly sporty feel on the road. "Responsive and tight". Not as "cushy and luxurious" as Model S. I am really looking forward to getting mine. Nothing I saw and experienced left any kind of negative impression.

( Well, I still wish they would make the rear blinkers yellow, but that is my only personal preference nit-picky complaint. )

Last edited:
Guys, I've been a Tesla fan for years. Mine was one of the first deliveries of the Model S in Arizona because I put down a 5K deposit 2 years before the car was even delivered and I love my model S. And I think the Model 3 is going to be a great car, but WTF, this was one of the worst presentations of a major product I've ever seen!

I could excuse the previous presentations because they were a "start up company" in their infancy. But now they are a multi-billion dollar company and this presentation looks like it was done by a bunch of 14-year old you-tubers! As a developer, I was in the audience for many Steve Jobs presentations and decidedly, Elon is no Steve Jobs as far as public presentations are concerned, but how was the production quality of this so bad?! No scripting, no coordination, no planning, it looks like they put it together on the fly. The car is a great car, the company is a great company, Elon is a great CEO, but this presentation was so high school (if not middle school).

Wake up Tesla, there are a lot of people believing in you and your products. Please put out a presentation that we would be proud to share, no more of this amateur crap! No one wants to share video that looks like it was made by a 14 year-old!

P.s. Is that the largest supercharger in North America right now?? Might want to mention that if it's real. (Didn't look like any cars were plugged in)

Couldn't tell for sure if it was actually working, but I think it is in a private area of the factory, so I doubt this would be a public location for all to use.
Could even be a temporary / prop location just for the event.

Can someone explain why the rendering shows a range of 315 when the car tops out at 310?

Attachments

• IMG_4258.JPG
    IMG_4258.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 81
Were any Tesla Model 3 actually delivered to anyone today?

Yes actual new owners were getting their cars and taking them.
From what I could tell, it was primarily senior Tesla people getting them.
Board members, long time employees. I don't know how the selection process went, but I don't think "random factory workers" were getting theirs just yet.

Roadster owners got no love. :( Without them we wouldn't have had the S or X either.

Did you miss the beginning of the live-stream? Roadster owners maybe not mentioned, but they did pay homage to the Roadster itself and its' place in Tesla's history. And they had a Roadster on display at the event.

Reactions: GSP
Most importantly the vehicle looks great. Kudos to Tesla for getting it out pretty much on time. But...

This was the absolute worse, god awful presentation I have ever witnessed. I really expected much more in the way of details and specifics. Surely, they must know and have decided by now.

I found the Elon-worshipping a bit awkward too. Like, yeah, Elon is great but we didn't tune in just to see him. We wanted info on the car.

The other thing that kind of bugged me was the continued stressing of how difficult it is to build and to maintain the supply chain, etc. Look, Tesla has been around for some time now. Every single car manufacturer has to deal with supply chain issues. It comes with the territory. Just deal with it. Frankly, I don't really want to hear about it any more. It's just something they have to do. On par, with meeting payroll, providing bathrooms for the employees, etc.

I get the limited options for now strategy. But why no real info on the few options there are like colors, wheel choice, etc? Again, surely this must be nailed down by now.

These Tesla events are getting worse as time goes on. It's just so incongruous compared to how nice the vehicles are.

They didn't show off the performance potential much at this event. Only P100D Model S were going on the test track, with Model 3 relegated to slower crawls around the parking lot. Still, I was able to sit in both front and back, and found it very comfortable. Rear seating is a bit cramped, but expected in a smaller call like this, and still adequate even for a big adult.

The cars felt really solid, and had a pleasantly sporty feel on the road. "Responsive and tight". Not as "cushy and luxurious" as Model S. I am really looking forward to getting mine. Nothing I saw and experienced left any kind of negative impression.

( Well, I still wish they would make the rear blinkers yellow, but that is my only personal preference nit-picky complaint. )

How was the front seat head room compared to the model S?

Because the event wasn't for 'you'. It was mainly for the employees.

Not really. The event was supposed to provide more detailed info to the masses. Yeah, the attendees where mostly employees and thanks should have been given. But that has nothing to do with the scarcity of real specific info that we have been waiting for. There's so much still that is unknown.

And if the event wasn't for "us", then why bother broadcasting it?

Last edited:
Reactions: CTreast
It would take 2 hours to "demo" every feature for enthusiasts and answer all questions. That is not what this event was for, nor is it appropriate. It was exactly as billed: handover to 30 owners and an employees celebration of production start. The automotive press and website will give us details, no worries.

Nonsense. Not looking for EVERY feature. Just would have been better if Elon took 30-45 minutes to go over the car. We were told that a full and detailed release of info would be in this presentation a long time ago. Why couldn't Tesla release these details on their web site or in a PDF package. Why do I need this filtered through the bozo press?

Nonsense. Not looking for EVERY feature. Just would have been better if Elon took 30-45 minutes to go over the car. We were told that a full and detailed release of info would be in this presentation a long time ago. Why couldn't Tesla release these details on their web site or in a PDF package. Why do I need this filtered through the bozo press?
Who told you that?

Anyone else wonder why they never turned off the headlights of the car on stage? I felt sorry for the folks stage right in the audience who were looking into the headlights...

I'm not looking forward to waiting another year for longer range & awd... :-(

View attachment 238427

The image says "315mi". There has to be someone else that noticed this. The car can go up to 310 miles so why does this image say 315 miles?
The 310 is EPA range, the 315 on the screen is Tesla's own internal calculator. EPA range is definitely not exact science (neither is the Tesla Rated Miles calculator, but it's gotten pretty good in the S).